Tumbleweed composter

A Forum for discussion of ideas and techniques for gardening practices that encourage biodiversity and minimise the adverse impact on the environment through such things as reduced water use, organic pest control and wildlife friendly practices.
Includes Environmental Weeds sub-forum

Moderators: Forum_mod, Pam, jack, Sam, Lea

Re: Tumbleweed composter

Postby mariaga » Wed Mar 12, 2008 9:12 pm

Wel learn a lot today abbout compost
I did a b.......its I tok a 44 gallon drum ask hubby to cut both end and now stand vertical half full
and stinking like a sh......and very hot to go near

wath Im go to do from here? please help!
I do not have energy to move o money to by the properly one
Maria
ImageImage
mariaga
Curator

Postby Pam » Thu Mar 13, 2008 6:30 am

Hot is brilliant! (provided it isn't so hot it's going to catch fire) Aeration seems to be the main problem you have right at this time Maria. If it's so hot you can't get near it, it doesn't seem there's a lot you can do about it though.

Once you're capable of getting near it, giving it a bit of a stir-up would be the most effective quick-fix. If you then take a piece of pvc pipe drilled with holes and drive it down into your mix it should provide enough aeration to finish this mix off with less stink

What do you have in there?

Come back before you put in another batch.
Pam
Garden Wizard

Postby mariaga » Thu Mar 13, 2008 2:58 pm

Dear Pam!
hot is very hot :twisted: also today here we have 41 (#)

the bin set in the far corner near an aple tree :) like it he got some shade as well :D

as aeration you mean I can stick in a metre of the 3''piper your see arround the tre?

I put in all sort o kitchener stuff I fill1/4 o bucket with water in the morning , allbread, fruit peel, coffee ecc,
going into the bucket last in the even streaded news paper , leave out,
put in
in the morning the bread is sponged the paper almost melt
the bucket full, water and all going into the bin compost + some soil , leafes ecc,and cover

Maria
ImageImage
mariaga
Curator

Postby veg gardener » Sat Mar 15, 2008 8:52 pm

what brand of tumbers do u guys have
veg gardener
Gardening Sage

Re:

Postby veg gardener » Sun Mar 16, 2008 10:31 am

Grasshopper wrote:Well I am gong to the local Ag show next month and will be having a look at many interesting things--will let you know what and if I buy.

grassy u talkin about tocal fleid days as i am going thier as well may 2nd 3rd and 4th
veg gardener
Gardening Sage

Postby huxter » Wed Apr 02, 2008 11:20 pm

MY rotating drum composter is that old its starting to get rust holes in it ,had it over 20 years and its used constantly .Early on I too worked out to fill it from my other bins so as to finish compost off quickly and not wait to fill the drum .Mine is much bigger than any 44 gal drum and gives the shoulders a good work out . And I put all our newspapers through it if it gets a bit moist .

I'll look tomorrow at the brand but I know it was made in WA . Our garden is so much better because of it .I always had trouble finishing off compost before the drum but now the process is so quick we're digging in compost all the time .We have cattle so we put plenty of manure through our compost systems as well .

Huxter
The best time to plant a tree was 20 years ago. The next best is now !
huxter
Gardener

Postby huxter » Thu Apr 03, 2008 8:36 am

My tumbler is the Osborne Compost Tumbler ,made by Osborne Metal Industries in Osborne Park WA .The phone number is 6 digits so thats well out of date and tells you how long I've had it .It probably holds a full 44 gal drums worth when 1/2 full ,too hard to turn if full

Huxter
The best time to plant a tree was 20 years ago. The next best is now !
huxter
Gardener

Postby Localau » Wed Sep 26, 2012 10:21 am

The Easy Composter from is made from steel making it last 15-20 years or longer then the plastic bins available on the market.
Localau
Apprentice

Previous

Return to Sustainable Gardening