Silver Garden

This is the Garden Express Themed Garden Photo Competition. Entrants need to be Garden Express Forum members. Please refer to the Competition Terms & Conditions and the specific Judging Criteria and Prize announcements. Entries closed June 12th 2006 and winner announced.

Silver Garden

Postby posting-proxy » Mon May 01, 2006 2:44 pm

This corner comes into its own in Spring when all is in flower- cistus rock rose at the back, diosma, sage, snow in summer, a pigface in the basket, and the jasmine and a santolina cotton lavender. By the time the yellow santolina flowers is in bloom, the pink is gone, and the blue daisy in front is darker and has more flowers and the diosma is a more acid yellow green. This is just out the back door.

Modesty
Emailed photo posted on behalf of the member
posting-proxy
Pruner

Postby Sam » Mon May 01, 2006 2:51 pm

A beautiful garden, Modesty - lovely to look at.
“Tomatoes and oregano make it Italian, wine and tarragon
make it French, sour cream makes it Russian, lemon and
cinnamon make it Greek, soya sauce makes it Chinese, Garlic
makes it good.” Alice May Brock, Alice’s Restaurant Cookbook.
Sam
Garden Wizard

Postby Luzy » Mon May 01, 2006 4:03 pm

What a wonderful collection, Modesty! I love how it's so nice and full, and with the different foliage you've got colour all year round. Is the sage the culinary one? (Y) :D
Luzy
Garden Wizard

Postby mic » Mon May 01, 2006 11:46 pm

This is really pretty but tough looking Modesty. Well done!
mic
Head Gardener

Postby Modesty » Tue May 02, 2006 2:53 pm

Luzy,
yes, it is the eating sage, I have about three plants, so usually let them flower, it is so much fun to run over everything with the electric saw after the flowers are finished. My herb garden is behind the jasmine on the post.

Thanks for the compliments, I was pretty thrilled when it all flowered as some of it was planted when we moved in like the cistus and snow in summer, or hurriedly put into the ground out of crowded pots. I dont do a lot with this corner, the bird bath water goes to the pots (a pink geranium), and the rest survive without much effort. Things have been doubling in size each year- a bit scary really!

Modesty
Don't take a cutting from a plant that has taken over a vacant block just because it's free.
Modesty
Head Gardener

Postby Luzy » Tue May 02, 2006 6:58 pm

Don't knock the growth - gardens are great when they don't need much looking after!!! :lol: Your Snow in Summer looks beautifully white, as well - maybe I should move mine to get more sun???
Luzy
Garden Wizard

Postby Pam » Wed May 03, 2006 7:02 am

Oh, Modesty! It's lovely!
Pam
Garden Wizard

Postby Yani » Wed May 03, 2006 9:20 am

It is lovely Modesty :) . Well done.
Mouse and Bunny ROCKS!!! :lol: :lol:

Image Image
Yani
Garden Wizard

Postby Modesty » Wed May 03, 2006 2:26 pm

Luzy,
the snow in summer was in flower, so is a bit whiter, it is a bit hard to see, it has little bell shaped flowers. This gets full sun, although I think with the small amount of extra water and fertillizer it has got since we moved in (the whole garden was a bit neglected or actually dead), it has really taken off. I took a rooted section and planted it under roses, where it is a bit shadier, and it is a darker grey and a bit lanky. So you could try a few in different patches without digging up the main plant. Or move a pot of it around which I do with things I am a bit doubtful about.

Modesty
Don't take a cutting from a plant that has taken over a vacant block just because it's free.
Modesty
Head Gardener

Postby Pokie » Sun May 14, 2006 7:33 pm

I LOVE it modesty! Looks so nice. Then again, I love the cottage theme so what else would you expect? :P
Pokie
Garden Wizard

Return to Themed Garden 2006 Photo Competition