Garden Railway 2

This is the Garden Express Themed Garden Photo Competition. Entrants need to be Garden Express Forum members. Please refer to the Competition Terms & Conditions and the specific Judging Criteria and Prize announcements. Entries closed June 12th 2006 and winner announced.

Garden Railway 2

Postby Patricia » Thu May 25, 2006 3:50 pm

Our "G" Scale garden railway edged with succulents. Lots of fun now trying to edge the rail tracks with smaller plants...I am open to suggestions.
Patricia
Gardening Sage

Postby midgin » Thu May 25, 2006 3:58 pm

Looks great and a fun area...bet the young ones love it......plants for keeping into scale....now...that must be a challenge...finding smallish plants for background....shall give it some thought...my best thinking time is 2.30am...when I am wide awake and unable to sleep...
Don't be afraid to colour outside the lines.
midgin
Garden Wizard

Postby Spider Lily » Thu May 25, 2006 4:15 pm

Well now that my kids have seen this picture they are begging me for a railway in our garden.
"pleeeeeaaaase mum can we, can we, can we????"

"no we can't"

"but whhhhhyyyyyyy??"

It looks like a mighty big task to me but very rewarding once it is done.
Spider Lily
Gardening Sage

Postby Luzy » Thu May 25, 2006 4:34 pm

Looks good, Patricia :D Thyme is a really good groundcover - the creeping one that 'says on the label' to 5cm (some get to about 15cm and more). And it's pretty easy to propagate and maintain, as well.

Spider Lily, tell your kids that they'd better start saving their pocket money now... :lol:
Luzy
Garden Wizard

Postby Sam » Thu May 25, 2006 5:59 pm

I was given a plant called 'serissa' (phonetic spelling!).

It looks like a bonsai - small and perfect. Would be perfect in that spot for you.

Or you could just get into bonsai and get some great miniatures!
“Tomatoes and oregano make it Italian, wine and tarragon
make it French, sour cream makes it Russian, lemon and
cinnamon make it Greek, soya sauce makes it Chinese, Garlic
makes it good.” Alice May Brock, Alice’s Restaurant Cookbook.
Sam
Garden Wizard

Postby Pokie » Thu May 25, 2006 6:02 pm

Looks interesting. :)
Pokie
Garden Wizard

Postby Patricia » Thu May 25, 2006 9:17 pm

Thanks Sam for the plant suggestion...I will look into it...bonsai did go through my head but I think I would be forever poor...
Patricia
Gardening Sage

Postby kitkat » Sun May 28, 2006 3:48 pm

Great shot Patricia, I wish I was there! :lol: Thyme is great for small leaves,bonsai need to be in pots so might grow too big in the ground.SOme minaiture conifers could be good though , they have smallish leaves and don't grow over big, they are slow growers too.Another one that could be kept small is golden diosma, its leaf size is really small and can be cut down to really small bush size as well as nice rounded humps too.
What about Sacred Bamboo?Have forgotten it's proper name , Lovely red leaves, a smallish size and also not a big grower and can be kept cut back if needed.
Jade bush?(I have plenty if you want some?)
Smiles from SueB
[color=#40BF00]
Thanks for Sharing
Gardens..... food for Body and Soul.[/color]
kitkat
Head Curator

Postby Pokie » Sun May 28, 2006 7:15 pm

Sacred Bamboo is called Nandina domesticana for the tall one and N. domesticana 'nana' for the dwarf one. :)
Pokie
Garden Wizard

Postby Patricia » Sun May 28, 2006 7:39 pm

Thanks one & all for continued suggestions...I went to a nursery today to check out several of your suggestions...no luck but I was not at my normal nursery..will keep on looking...Re Nandina's I have used them on mass at the "railway roundabout" ..I keep pruning them into different levels..funny mine at home are a crimson colour...but am currently at our hol home in Snowy Mtns area NSW & the same plants are bright red...must be the cold climate!!! once again thanks for input!!
Patricia
Gardening Sage

Return to Themed Garden 2006 Photo Competition