Hot winter colour

This is the Garden Express Winter Garden Photo Competition. Entrants need to be Garden Express Forum members. Please refer to the Competition Terms & Conditions and the specific Judging Criteria and Prize announcements. Entries closed September 30th 2006 - winners announced.

Hot winter colour

Postby Luzy » Sat Jul 29, 2006 7:08 pm

Here's one I prepared before... well, a few weeks ago, anyway. The Winter Tarragon dominates the handrail to the front porch, with a few springs of Pineapple Sage leaning in for a bit of a 'hot' touch.

:D
Luzy
Garden Wizard

Postby Spider Lily » Sat Jul 29, 2006 9:13 pm

Great photo Luzy!

I love the colour of the pineapple sage :D
Spider Lily
Gardening Sage

Postby Pokie » Sat Jul 29, 2006 9:28 pm

Great photo! The colours really do go together well.

Glad someone bit the bullet and posted a photo! :oops:
Pokie
Garden Wizard

Postby Spider Lily » Sat Jul 29, 2006 9:33 pm

PS: The handrail adds a very rustic look to the photo-beautiful!
Spider Lily
Gardening Sage

Postby Pokie » Sat Jul 29, 2006 9:36 pm

Yes I agree! :D
Pokie
Garden Wizard

Postby enrico » Sun Jul 30, 2006 5:55 am

Luzy, your photos never disappoint, :) :)

Just beautiful :!:
enrico
Garden Wizard

Postby Jim » Sun Jul 30, 2006 11:23 am

Great photo, Luzy. I agree with all of the previous posts. I've said it before, and I'll say it again; the more photos I see of your garden the more smitten and envious I am! :D

I was thinking of entering the winter garden comp, but all I have worthy of photographing are my daffodils and jonquils at the moment. They're spring flowing bulbs, so maybe they wouldn't qualify?? :roll:

James
Jim

Postby Bulbinella » Sun Jul 30, 2006 2:09 pm

Yes, beautiful Luzy :D

and even though I've only been with this forum for a short time, I agree wholeheartedly with Enrico about your photos.
Bulbinella
Garden Wizard

Postby Luzy » Sun Jul 30, 2006 2:42 pm

Wow, you're all really kind - thanks very much! :D Spider Lily, I think that the handrail's got a 'rusty' look - one of those jobs that we haven't got around to, and am not likely to at this rate. :lol:

I'm rapt with the Pineapple Sage - although the bush looks a bit wintery-pale it's been flowering for months and still attracts a wattlebird or two each day.

James, I think you should get your daffs and jonquils in the comp - they very definitely fit the 'plants that are prominent in winter' bit, even if the flowers are thought of as 'spring'. Besides, we've still got a month of real winter to go, and it seems that the 'spring' bulbs are popping up all over the country - a perfect part of winter! :D
Luzy
Garden Wizard

Postby Yani » Sun Jul 30, 2006 6:02 pm

Oh..oh..oh...Luzy, very beautiful photos :P !!! Yourphotos are always lovely and gave me some insipration for my own garden :) . Well done Luzy.

Now..who's next???
Mouse and Bunny ROCKS!!! :lol: :lol:

Image Image
Yani
Garden Wizard

Postby cordelia » Mon Jul 31, 2006 1:08 am

James, I quite agree that your daff and jonquil bulbs should qualify for the winter comp. After all, if you are clever enough to get them to flower this close to midwinter, I think you deseve it! As Luzy says, they are a prominent part of the winter garden.
We only call them spring flowering to cheer ourselves up, so we think spring is coming or here sooner than it is!
cordelia
Senior Curator

Postby midgin » Mon Jul 31, 2006 4:41 pm

James wrote:I was thinking of entering the winter garden comp, but all I have worthy of photographing are my daffodils and jonquils at the moment. They're spring flowing bulbs, so maybe they wouldn't qualify?? :roll:

James

Hi James, go ahead and enter your photos. Really, when we look at the various climates throughout Australia, there is no median....some of us live in Qld and others Tas. it would be highly unlikely that our plants have the same flowering calendar.
As an example I have had Jonquils in flower since mid June. A few weeks ago I thought they had finished, arrived back from holidays yesterday to find a huge clump in full flower.
Go for it James. :)
Don't be afraid to colour outside the lines.
midgin
Garden Wizard

Postby Pam » Tue Aug 01, 2006 6:30 am

What everyone else said, James, go for it!

Luzy, that's a truly lovely shot, with FANTASTIC depth of field, which I only ever achieve by sheer luck - if I alter the f-stops, the darned camera 'intuitively' corrects itself. :x
Pam
Garden Wizard

Postby Chris C » Tue Aug 01, 2006 6:40 pm

Magic! Wonderful cheery photo to get the ball rolling. :D
Chris C
Curator

Postby sara » Wed Aug 02, 2006 9:27 am

Luzy, that is a beautiful shot - there is something about handrails and steps and flowers that is always enchanting. :)
Paradise hangs shadowed in the forgotten corners of gardens.
Come visit Sara and the cats at the restoration project at Nonsuch.
sara
Head Curator

Return to Winter Garden 2006 Photo Competition