Funny fellas...

This is the Garden Express Winter Garden Photo Competition. Entrants need to be Garden Express Forum members. Please refer to the Competition Terms & Conditions and the specific Judging Criteria and Prize announcements. Entries closed September 30th 2006 - winners announced.

Postby Pokie » Fri Sep 08, 2006 7:16 pm

Luzy wrote:Codelia! We're getting Big Hair now... :lol: :lol:

:D

Thye look great!!! :D

Very stunning. :)
Pokie
Garden Wizard

Postby cordelia » Fri Sep 08, 2006 10:33 pm

Wow! They look amazing! Thanks for the photo! I was so impressed with the last one that when someone was complaining that the euphorbia were overtaking their garden, I suggested that I could offer a home for some of them. Now they are happily tucked in a corner, ready to commune with yours. I showed them the chook choir photo, and they did well. I shall show them the big hair photo when they have settled in a bit and gained some confidence and energy.
cordelia
Senior Curator

Postby Luzy » Sat Sep 09, 2006 7:39 am

Pam, they seem to just love it where they are (whew!) - they get crazier every year.

I guess that I should mention (very quietly) that they attract flies... - not those annoying little bush fly-type ones, or those disgusting blowflies, but something inbetween. The flies don't annoy people and mostly disappear when the flowering's over - just hang about in the flowers.

I watched a wattle bird yesterday sitting on the fence above them, and repeatedly flying in - I'd like to think that he/she was after the flies... :roll:

Good luck with yours, codelia - give them lots of ignoring!
Luzy
Garden Wizard

Postby Shotgun Paul. » Sat Sep 09, 2006 12:09 pm

Voom,voom just warming up the chain saw. :D :D
Its running ok now and ready to go 8) 8)
So is this going to take long :!: :!:
If you put the jug on now the brew should be right by the time I finish. 8) 8)
Shotgun Paul.
Head Curator

Postby Spider Lily » Sat Sep 09, 2006 12:42 pm

They look fantastic Luzy :D
Spider Lily
Gardening Sage

Postby enrico » Sat Sep 09, 2006 2:52 pm

:shock: :shock: Wow Luzy :shock: SPECTACULAR!!!!!
enrico
Garden Wizard

Postby cordelia » Sun Sep 10, 2006 1:34 am

Luzy, I shall take your advice and ignore them studiously, but can you tell me what sort of conditions yours are in....sun/shade/rich/poor/wet/dry? Just curious about what level of flourish to expect for diff conditions. Ta. Saw the most amazing big hair display today..they have obviously ben in communication with yours...a whole front yard!!!
cordelia
Senior Curator

Postby Luzy » Sun Sep 10, 2006 8:27 am

Hi cordelia,

A whole front yard - wow! Mine are in clay that's been dug over once to add compost and stuff, and occassionally gets a handful of gypsum, dynamic lifter and mulch thrown underneath. It's probably got good drainage, though, because it's a built-up bed.

They get shade for six months of the year, and very hot sun for a few hours each day during summer. I watered them here and there during their first season and rarely water now. I find them pretty low-care (suits my style of gardening :lol: )

(I've also seen them growing near the bay, so they'd be in sand, in full sun all the time (when it's not cloudy) so I don't think they're too fussy.)
Luzy
Garden Wizard

Postby cordelia » Sun Sep 10, 2006 11:50 pm

Thanks luzy. Mine are similarly placed, except in summer they are baking hot while being in the shade of the wisteria. I shall now be content to ignore them, and I'll see how their hair grows.
cordelia
Senior Curator

Previous

Return to Winter Garden 2006 Photo Competition