Swimming pool water.

This is the general garden forum where you can search existing messages for answers to your questions or post a new message for others to reply to. Use the topic specific forums where appropriate.

Moderators: Forum_mod, Pam, Luzy, jack, Sam

Swimming pool water.

Postby bubba louie » Fri Sep 01, 2006 8:16 pm

Those from GA will know all about my pool water saga.
We needed to empty our pool and with the water situation here we were loath to waste it, so we left it go off till all the chlorine would have evaporated. It was actually green and yuck.
Being a cautious type, and after hearing different veiws, I tested it on a patch of grass. All was well so I moved onto a Camellia. Still no problems so I went berserk.
Now our Murraya hedge is dropping it's leaves on the side of the driveway that got the pool water. The rest of the garden is still OK so far.
Why would it effect some things and not others, or could it be because the hedge got too much water after being dry for so long?
I'm quite perplexed about what's happened.
P.S. Nothing else is getting pool water drought or not.
bubba louie
Garden Wizard

Postby enrico » Sat Sep 02, 2006 2:30 pm

bubba louie, Hi :D We had a pool in Kurrajong and more often then not I would water out of it :D we were on tank water and when needed ,without a second thought it went on totally everything :shock: nothing died from it :shock:
I also carted all my washing machine water onto the plants :( couldn`t let it run away, :D and again it all grew really really well :!:

I know there will be lots of opposition to this :( but it worked really well for me :D :D
enrico
Garden Wizard

Postby Ken the gardener » Sat Sep 02, 2006 4:10 pm

Hello bubba louie,
Not entirely sure but would thealgae, pH of the water, or chemical composition (salt ?) have affected the Murraya's ?

This could be seen as a blessing in disguise, as M. paniculata is a known weed in many districts, and i know it is in your part of the world. I suggest a replant with natives, but that takes water too.

But that doesn't answer your question, i am wondering if you got recent rains or not ? If not and your conditions have remained dry ? :D
Ken the gardener
Lawn trimmer

Postby Lucky1 » Sat Sep 02, 2006 4:16 pm

Lucky waves to Ken The Gardener (Y)

Oh Bubba what shame this is happening.... I do hope it recovers for you. I remember the topic of this over on GA.
Hugging a duck can leave you feeling sloppy:D

http://luckysduckfarm.blogspot.com/

http://myknittingbox.blogspot.com/
Lucky1
Senior Curator

Postby bubba louie » Sat Sep 02, 2006 6:53 pm

What are you doing here Ken? :D

No salt. PH? Maybe. An old gardener I spoke to told me it would be alkaline but if that was the case the camellias would have reacted too.

I've regretted planting the Murrayas nearly as long as we've had them so in that respect I'm not too concerned if they die, it's just expensive to replace that many plants.

I think they'll recover anyway.
bubba louie
Garden Wizard

Postby bubba louie » Sat Sep 02, 2006 6:55 pm

Oh and yes we did get quite a bit of rain over the last few days. :D
bubba louie
Garden Wizard

Postby Longy » Thu Sep 07, 2006 9:36 am

Hi Bubba, well you already know of my SIL's drama with pool water. After leaving it to green up and burn off the chlorine for a few months, she went berko with it. Front and back of the house. Everything. Well, the grass all died as did a lot of her plants.

I don't believe it died because of anything to do with the water makeup, i reckon she actually drowned averything, it was just too much. Also, it was at the start of Winter so everything had stopped growing, there was no evaporation and her drainage may not be perfect.
Is it possible that your Murraya just got too much water?
Longy
Head Curator

Postby bubba louie » Thu Sep 07, 2006 10:18 am

I've considered that but I really don't think so. I gave lots of plants the same amount but the Murraya was the only one to react like that. It's covered in new growth now so I think it'll be OK.
bubba louie
Garden Wizard

Postby cordelia » Fri Sep 08, 2006 4:35 am

bl, If the murraya got a largish amount of water at once, even if not too much in total, it could have caused something nearby to dissolve and affect the plants....eg something from the concrete or whatever your drive is made from...salts, or lime or something. The tiny remainder of chlorine may have enhanced this.
Glad they are recovering. I'd continue to use pool water where it wasn't a problem, but if you are nervous you could use it for every second watering.
cordelia
Senior Curator

Re: Swimming pool water.

Postby waye1964 » Wed Oct 10, 2018 7:09 am

I don't trust it passed on due to anything to do with the water cosmetics, I figure she really suffocated everything, it was simply excessively. Likewise, it was toward the beginning of Winter so everything had quit developing, there was no dissipation and her seepage may not be great.

summer waves above ground pool
Last edited by waye1964 on Mon Oct 15, 2018 3:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
waye1964
Apprentice

Re: Swimming pool water.

Postby midgin » Fri Oct 12, 2018 2:01 pm

I am a member from old....have not been able to access the forum. YAY...looks like I am back in.
Hopefully, all shall remain A-OK.
Hi to any of the 'old gang'.....hope to see some familiar names popping up.

MIDGIN
midgin
Garden Wizard

Return to Garden Forum