african violets

This is the general garden forum where you can search existing messages for answers to your questions or post a new message for others to reply to. Use the topic specific forums where appropriate.

Moderators: Forum_mod, Pam, Luzy, jack, Sam

african violets

Postby helendinter » Fri Jul 11, 2008 12:09 pm

As members of the Queensland African Violet Society, Gerry as a potter and with engineering skills designed and made various plant stands including the motorized stand for our Societies yearly Flower Show and Brisbane Royal Show. As an avid African Violet nut , with more than 600 African Violets growing at any time Gerry would be more than willing to respond to any queries on African Violets or other Gesneriads such as Gloxinias (Sinningia speciosa) - Streptocarpus - Episcia - Columnea etc ........ After a visit from Sam and her two interstate Friends, Sam suggested that we should join the Garden Express Forum and enter the rotating stand in the Container Competition. Maybe the Forum should have a new topic, such as Indoor Plants or African Violets. " Did you know that African Violets are the most purchased House Plant in the world " !!! We hope our love for African Violets can be passed on to all Forum members. Helen and Gerry.
helendinter
Lawn trimmer

Re: african violets

Postby Pam » Fri Jul 11, 2008 12:28 pm

That's a very kind offer of both you and Gerry, Helen, as I know you both have your hands full at times. I wasn't from interstate - just up the road at Bundaberg.

If you don't mind, I'll make your post into a sticky. I'm sure members will greatly appreciate having someone with your collective experience to answer their queries.
Pam
Garden Wizard

Postby orchid40 » Fri Jul 11, 2008 1:26 pm

Hi Helen, welcome to the forum!
I have 3 AVs, a parent plant and 2 that I have propagated from the leaves. The 2 young ones have identical flowers bur they're totally different from the parent in everything except colour. The parent has plain mauve flowers and the others have very frilly complicated petals. I thought that they would be clones of the parent.
I haven't any photos at the moment as only the parent is in bloom. I'd like to hear your comments about this.
Thanks, Val
Gardening`s just another Obsessive Compulsive Disorder but I don`t want a cure !
orchid40
Gardening Sage

Postby helendinter » Sat Jul 12, 2008 10:33 am

Hi Val. Thanks for your query! Val your plant has sported. Sporting could be a change in blossom shape, color, shape or size. African Violets, are often called "genetically unstable" and this is why they sport quite frequently. Without sporting we would not have such variety in our plants. The most commonly used method of propagation to ensure of plants like or similar to the parent is to grow from side shoots. Another method of propagation is available by use of the flower stalk. I find this the most reliable way of obtaining plants that are true to variety. Val why not try another leaf it might come true next time. Gerry.
helendinter
Lawn trimmer

Postby orchid40 » Sat Jul 12, 2008 11:46 am

Thanks Gerry,
I didn't know African Violets were prone to sporting. The sports I have are quite pretty really, but weird as one of the petals doesn't open properly. I don't know if I'll do anymore propagation, as space in the house that's suitable for them is a bit scarce. Thankyou for your reply, anyway.
Val
Gardening`s just another Obsessive Compulsive Disorder but I don`t want a cure !
orchid40
Gardening Sage

Postby enrico » Wed Aug 20, 2008 3:44 pm

helendinter wrote:As members of the Queensland African Violet Society, Gerry as a potter and with engineering skills designed and made various plant stands including the motorized stand for our Societies yearly Flower Show and Brisbane Royal Show. As an avid African Violet nut , with more than 600 African Violets growing at any time Gerry would be more than willing to respond to any queries on African Violets or other Gesneriads such as Gloxinias (Sinningia speciosa) - Streptocarpus - Episcia - Columnea etc ........ After a visit from Sam and her two interstate Friends, Sam suggested that we should join the Garden Express Forum and enter the rotating stand in the Container Competition. Maybe the Forum should have a new topic, such as Indoor Plants or African Violets. " Did you know that African Violets are the most purchased House Plant in the world " !!! We hope our love for African Violets can be passed on to all Forum members. Helen and Gerry.

Helen, it was I........... who came from interstate, Victoria and it was a very welcoming visit.
I think of those beautiful Violets a lot. :D
enrico
Garden Wizard

Episcia (Flame Violet)

Postby Corinne » Sat Jan 10, 2009 3:02 pm

Hi
I'm interested in purchasing a few episcias (flame violets) and would be interested to hear of nurseries which may have them. I am located in metropolitan victoria.
Corinne
Apprentice

Re: Episcia (Flame Violet)

Postby newtogreen » Mon Apr 06, 2009 3:52 pm

Corinne wrote:Hi
I'm interested in purchasing a few episcias (flame violets) and would be interested to hear of nurseries which may have them. I am located in metropolitan victoria.

which side of the city are you located? Image
newtogreen
Cultivator

Postby Coustralee » Tue Apr 07, 2009 12:38 am

just keep them in pots, i cant get rid of them in the garden beds ;)
Coustralee
Head Gardener

Postby Modesty » Mon May 11, 2009 12:45 pm

I have noticed the new african violets dont propagate as readily from leaf cuttings. I had some that were really old (had been in the family for years) with pale violet flowers and quite large sprawling pot plants, which used to set roots in water in a week or so. The ones today seem to take weeks to set root.

IS this right (and why) or am I just remembering incorrectly?

How does propagating from the flower stem work?

Modesty
Don't take a cutting from a plant that has taken over a vacant block just because it's free.
Modesty
Head Gardener

Newcastle African Violets

Postby Hampers » Tue Jul 20, 2010 6:58 pm

Just an unashamed plug for the friendly folk at the Newcastle African Violet Society.

I visited their display and sale at the Adamstown Club in May (The week before mother's day) and bought a few plants as Mothers Day Gifts for my mother, mother in law and a few for my young daughters (my three year old ran up and down the display aisles no doubt causing anxiety for the organisers - she even won a lucky door prize (an AV) and we still water it together).

African Violets are a great indoor pastime and have the benefit of biology and heredity and genetics.
Hampers
Pruner

Postby talktokeith » Thu Apr 28, 2011 10:42 am

Hi Modesty

I'm not sure the growth between old & new varieties, but if you give them warm & moist condition I'm sure they'll shoot much faster, a muffin plastic container is just perfect, and once the new shoot is about the size of a 5 cent(standard variety) you can cut off the mother leaf.

It's better if you plant them directly into soil instead of water as the plant will develope "water root", after they transplanted to soil they need to re-develop the roots again so, you may have a quick start to get it rooted but at the end it will takes longer than it should.

HTH
talktokeith
Propagator

Postby talktokeith » Thu Apr 28, 2011 10:42 am

OH..... your post was.... 2 yrs old!!!

It's pretty quiet here :roll:
talktokeith
Propagator

Postby Modesty » Mon Aug 13, 2012 9:41 pm

No Problem, I am reading it another year later I think!

What is water root? I have often put things in water to root first thinking this speeds it up. What is the difference to normal roots? Is this only african violets or does it apply to others as well?

thanks,
Modesty
Don't take a cutting from a plant that has taken over a vacant block just because it's free.
Modesty
Head Gardener

Postby AdamBorzy » Fri Aug 24, 2012 3:41 pm

Oops, sure is quiet for sometime but I love staying here...
Everyone knows African Violets are one of the most satisfying flowering houseplants... and passing it on continues...
AdamBorzy
Groundsperson

Postby talktokeith » Fri Sep 14, 2012 2:46 pm

Hi Modesty,

"Water root" still look the same as normal root but they works better in water, if the growing medium is changed, i.e. from water to soil, the plants need to re-develop their root again, that means energy is diverted from growing leaf/flower to root. I learned this from some senior growers in the AV club, althought I didn't actually experiment it I beleive it is quite true~

FYI for a kick start you can feed half strength worm juice to your plants~ :)
talktokeith
Propagator

Return to Garden Forum