Rabbits

This is the general garden forum where you can search existing messages for answers to your questions or post a new message for others to reply to. Use the topic specific forums where appropriate.

Moderators: Forum_mod, Pam, Luzy, jack, Sam

Rabbits

Postby Forum_mod » Tue Mar 11, 2003 2:01 pm

I do a lot of native veg work and it is hard to find attractive natives that are not imediately consumed. One attractive bush, Acacia victoria seems to do well, as it has thorns, however it will need a tree gaurd when young, same with a range of thorny plants including roses and asparagus fern. My giant pet rabbit always left my runuculi, snowdrops and bracken fern well alone. I think the general rule is that rabbits will eat anything that is not a\) toxic, b\)too hard to get their teeth into or c\) to covered with thorns.

Best of luck - Gardening with pet rabbits is not easy.

Faith C.

Name: Faith Cook
Email: faith@deltaenvironmental.com.au
Subject: Rabbits
Thread: 95
Time: Fri, 08 Jun 2001 09:45:26 GMT
Forum_mod
Curator

Postby Forum_mod » Fri Mar 14, 2003 12:29 pm

I found that burying the dog poo in the garden beds helped to deter the pesky feral rabbits from our rural garden in WA. It also helps to stop them digging up any vege peelings etc you might decide to just bury rather than compost. Luckily our dog is a very regular manure factory!

Name: olga
Email: olgaward@wn.com.au
Subject: Rabbits
Thread: 95
Time: Wed, 6 Mar 2002 15:16:16 UTC
Forum_mod
Curator

Return to Garden Forum