Seed exchange

This is the general garden forum where you can search existing messages for answers to your questions or post a new message for others to reply to. Use the topic specific forums where appropriate.

Moderators: Forum_mod, Pam, Luzy, jack, Sam

Seed exchange

Postby Pam » Wed Nov 07, 2007 10:09 am

A few people have expressed interest in a seed exchange between members. As you may be aware, there is a bit of trading, gifting of extra seeds etc, that already takes place.

Abwal's suggestion of no follow-ups appearing in the thread (ie any trading arrangements etc taking place via PM or email) is a very good one, and is really the only way such a thread could be kept 'tidy'. For the sake of your privacy, DO NOT LIST YOUR EMAIL ADDRESS IN THE POST as the Forum is constantly scanned for email addresses for use for spam. If you want to list on the exchange, please be sure to check your messages regularly, or alternately, in your profile you have the box ticked to notify you if you have new messages, to avoid frustration for other members who might be waiting to hear back from you.

You would also need to keep your list up-to-date. If you run out, please edit your post or delete it, whichever is appropriate. Likewise if you have something new to add.

Anyone wanting to use the exchange needs to be aware of a couple of things:

Firstly, Garden Express is not in any way responsible for any trades that members make amongst themselves, and as such, if you encounter problems, please sort them out amongst yourselves, NOT on the forum. The only time that Ian or the moderators will get involved is when there is a breach of existing Forum rules regarding behaviour.

Given that GE provides us this forum free of charge, please do not list items that GE stocks for sale. Ian has specifically requested that the exchange be restricted to SEEDS only. They must NOT be sold.

Secondly, please use common sense. If you feel uneasy about a request for seeds that you are offering, it is probably with good cause. People should in no way feel obliged to accept every trade request they receive. Also be mindful of state quarantine restrictions and if in doubt do not ask for or send seeds where they may cause a problem.

We have a fantastic community here, and I for one would not like to see it spoiled by one individual who thinks they can take advantage of others' generosity.

Thirdly, if there is something you are looking for and make a request here for it, the polite thing would be to be offering something in exchange for it, not just saying, "does anyone have such-and-such?"

We'll give this a trial run - if it is working well there is no reason for it to stop. If it creates tensions or is abused, the thread will disappear. The main purpose is to enjoy yourselves, and to share some of our garden excess with one another.

ALSO one last thing - if you post a REQUEST for something you're looking for, (these should be kept to a minimum, and should preferrably accompany a list of seeds you have to offer) please edit your post and remove your request once you've received a response, just to keep things tidy.
Last edited by Pam on Wed Nov 07, 2007 6:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Pam
Garden Wizard

amaryllidaceae

Postby Ton Wijnen » Thu Nov 19, 2009 3:49 am

I am a botanist and private collector in Holland. I am collecting Amaryllidaceae. I am searching Hippeastrum species,Hymenocallis species and Griffinia species. Also other Amaryllidaceae such as Brunsvigia ,Ammocharis,Boophane,Placea, Crinum, Rhodophiala species are very welcome. I am searching bulbs of seeds of these plants for my private collection.

Also I am searching some seeds or seedlings from Cryptostephanus species.

Can and will you help me please?

Or do you know other people in you area who can help me? Maybe botanists or private collectors?

Thank you very much and I hope to hear soon from you again.

Ton Wijnen
Holland"
Ton Wijnen
Lawn trimmer

Re: Seed exchange

Postby devank » Sun Jan 22, 2012 11:55 am

I have following items.

1. rare Snake beans. Last year we got so much snake beans from five or six plants.

2. Yates seeds which I don't need
a. Capsicum
b. Sweet Basil

3. Yates seeds which I don't need but expired (as printed)
a. Mediterranean cuisine seeds - Oregano & Parsley Curled
b. Indian cuisine seeds - Chilli & Mint
Web Service Provider
http://www.teamit.com.au
devank
Groundsperson

Postby chocolate » Sun Apr 01, 2012 9:30 am

O.K.... I am looking for seeds or plants of passiflora antioquiensis, if you have anything please contact me, maybe we could do some sort of swap.
chocolate
Curator

Postby karyn » Sun Apr 01, 2012 2:42 pm

I'd like a few seeds for the pretty chocolate aquilegias/columbines. I don't know the name of ther particular variety. Happy to pay postage and costs, I have no seeds to swap!!
karyn
Gardening Sage

Postby wilson » Sat Jun 30, 2012 5:27 pm

Hi All,

I would love some Amaranthus tri colour seeds if anyone has any and would like to swap.

I have Amaranthus Cruentus.....Amaranth Paiute which have deep purple foliage.

African Marigolds orange and yellow

Some Aquilegia, various colours.

And some other random common annual seeds.

Feel free to ask if there is something you are looking for.
wilson
Lawn trimmer

A Question for Frangipani, Tulip and Marigold Owners

Postby ColourfulxInjection » Tue Jan 22, 2013 1:01 pm

Do any of you have some seeds of these flowers? Any colour is okay to me :)

I Have Herbs, Rock Melon and Chilli seeds if anyone is interested in trading.

The Herbs are:Curled Parsley, Spring Onion, Chives, Oregano and Genovase Sweet Basil.

In a month or so I'll also have Hibiscus seeds and Jacaranda seeds if you want to wait for them to be ready..

Thank you for even just looking at this and I hope some of you are interested!
ColourfulxInjection
Apprentice

Postby wilson » Sat Feb 02, 2013 5:48 pm

Hi,

If you mean me ColourfulxInjection
then yes, i have seeds of all the flowers
i mentioned and am happy to send you
some. Just send me a message and we
can arrange posting.

Wilson
wilson
Lawn trimmer

Postby mariaga » Sun Nov 24, 2013 9:49 pm

Hi! I have broccolini calabrese seed in this pic, the broccoli are not forming yet,Image

senape seeds broccoli of senape are good for lower the sugar level, if you like the bitter taste. Image
litle winter tomato the one hanged in shade can be keep for long time, Image
basil ,
italian parcel

I need seds of;

broccoli of rape,
curly endive,
sweet peas,
onions and garlic seeds,
cos lettuce and iceberg

flower; vincha, verbena,marigold, any colour,

Thank you
Maria
ImageImage
mariaga
Curator

Re: Trmeric

Postby path4 » Wed May 14, 2014 11:55 am

Does anybody Have some turmeric rhizome to swap.............
path4
Apprentice

Postby Watcher » Thu Jun 18, 2015 9:43 am

Further to Pams cautions regarding seed exchange you need to be aware that it is actually illegal to trade (sell, swap, trade, receive) many species (including plant parts) and that these will vary considerably between States and even within States. Buyers and receivers need to check their legal obligations both where they are and where they are sending to. Very heavy fines can be imposed.
Watcher
Apprentice

Postby greg.l » Thu Jun 18, 2015 4:40 pm

There are actually very few restrictions on trading seeds within Australia, unless the seeds are declared weeds of course. Western Australia and Tasmania have quarantine restrictions on plants and plant parts because they are isolated from the rest of Australia. Generally if you use common sense you won't get into any trouble. This forum is for seed exchange so there shouldn't be any problems.
greg.l
Gardening Sage

Postby OscarKane » Fri Oct 09, 2015 2:57 pm

Swapping seeds with friends and other gardeners in your area is a great way to boost the variety of what you grow, as well as a good chance to exchange gardening tips.

Tips on organizing the seed exchange:
Have gardening advice to hand.It’s useful to have someone there who knows a bit about growing. Or, you can simply gather as many gardening books as you can and spread them out on a table.
OscarKane
Weeder

Return to Garden Forum