Latest cuttings exploits

This is the general garden forum where you can search existing messages for answers to your questions or post a new message for others to reply to. Use the topic specific forums where appropriate.

Moderators: Forum_mod, Pam, Luzy, jack, Sam

Latest cuttings exploits

Postby GoldenWattle » Tue Jul 12, 2011 7:35 pm

I had a disastrous attempt trying to take cuttings of Grevillea Robusta not that long ago, so I cleared my tray and started again - probably about 4-5 weeks ago, tops! I put in 3 white Hardenbergias and 4 purple, 4 Artemisia abrotanum (mosquito repellent), 4 Cut Leaf Daisies, a couple of Grevillea Jenkinsii and another couple of Grevillea Kay Williams. I was spurred on by the success of a Kay Williams cutting amongst all the Robustas in the last round, so I tried a couple more. I potted up the Kay Williams from last round, but I'm not sure if it's still clinging to life. I was surprised at how quickly the artemisia and cut leaf daisy developed roots. One of each of the hardenbergias had just enough roots to pot on (as well as new leaf buds). The grevilleas didn't take yet, but it looked like there were some root nodules developing on Jenkinsii (which is one I've had difficulty with in the past). So I would say using the heated trays definitely improves yield and speed. The only real problem is making sure the cuttings are no bigger than about 10cm - any bigger and I can't fit the clear plastic cover over the tray... I would never have been able to do cuttings of proteas this way.

Cheers,
GoldenWattle (#)
GoldenWattle
Gardening Sage

Return to Garden Forum