Fertiliser question - using ferric nitrate

This is the general garden forum where you can search existing messages for answers to your questions or post a new message for others to reply to. Use the topic specific forums where appropriate.

Moderators: Forum_mod, Pam, Luzy, jack, Sam

Fertiliser question - using ferric nitrate

Postby sparkells » Thu Sep 08, 2011 7:38 pm

I'm a jewellery maker and use ferric nitrate (or iron nitrate) mixed with water and a little bit of citric acid to etch silver. Eventually after multiple uses the the solution is exhausted and I need to find a way to dispose of it.

I've been told that nitrates can potentially be diluted and used as garden fertilisers - I'd be really happy to be able to do this as it seems like an easy and hopefully environmentally friendly way to dispose of this solution.

So my first question is whether ferric nitrate specifically is okay to use in this way in the average garden and if you have an idea of how much it should be diluted.

My second question is whether the citric acid component adds any complications to doing this. I'm assuming the tiny quantity of powdered silver in the solution after multiple rounds of etching won't pose any problems.

FYI I've only just moved into my house so haven't had the soil tested for acidity as yet.

Thanks for any tips!
sparkells
Apprentice

Return to Garden Forum