sulphate of potash

This is the general garden forum where you can search existing messages for answers to your questions or post a new message for others to reply to. Use the topic specific forums where appropriate.

Moderators: Forum_mod, Pam, Luzy, jack, Sam

sulphate of potash

Postby Forum_mod » Thu Mar 13, 2003 1:47 pm

I have recently heard about the benefits of sulphate of potash for my daylillies...would this be benificial to all bulbs and plants at this time of the year?

Name: Diane Somers
Email: dvs@powerup.com.au
Subject: sulphate of potash
Thread: 357
Time: Fri, 7 Sep 2001 23:34:03 UTC
Forum_mod
Curator

Postby Forum_mod » Thu Mar 13, 2003 1:47 pm

Potash is an important element for plant growth, and will benifit any of your plants if your soil has a deficiency.

It is easy to overdose your plants using comercial fertalisers, and the sulphates can build up in your soil, causing acidification, so be careful with your application rate.

Natural alternatives that contain less sulphate include wood ash and seaweed. Seaweed solutions are available in most hardware stores.
Peri Coleman.

Name: Peri Coleman
Email: peri@deltaenvironmental.com.au
Time: Sat, 08 Sep 2001 05:19:33 GMT
Forum_mod
Curator

Postby Forum_mod » Thu Mar 13, 2003 1:52 pm

Following on from Peri Coleman\'s reply, another form of natural potassium is via banana skins, or just old rotting bananas. They are rich in potassium. I tend to leave the skins around my rose bushes or anything flowering at the time. I\'ve read somewhere that if you leave a batch of banana peels in a bucket of water for a few weeks to soak, the potassium will leach into the water and create a nice potassium drink for flowering fruiting plants, then throw the rotted peels onto the garden or into the compost bin.

Name: Fran Penna
Email: franpenna@hotmail.com
Time: Tue, 11 Sep 2001 09:53:55 UTC
Forum_mod
Curator

Return to Garden Forum