Thinking of using Succulents... Need some help please :-)

This is the general garden forum where you can search existing messages for answers to your questions or post a new message for others to reply to. Use the topic specific forums where appropriate.

Moderators: Forum_mod, Pam, Luzy, jack, Sam

Thinking of using Succulents... Need some help please :-)

Postby Blackcat » Mon Jun 04, 2012 1:00 pm

Hi all :D . I have a small dilemma in our backyard which I need some thoughts from any wonderful gardeners out there...

Our backyard is pretty much the side of a hill, we have excavated a decent area and have an area of about 1.5 meters wide and about the same high (at the tallest side) left to finish :-). It's up on our 'second level' and is quite a dry, very rocky area. We can't dig down to put any posts in and being an area which isn't used all the time we don't want to spend a heap on such a small area, but it does need 'something' to make the area more pleasant when we sit up there on our boardwalk/deck.

I had this thought today of maybe succulents, not needing much water at all and can grow beautifully in pots. Only thing is I have never had anything to do with them :oops: . I was thinking of resting/securing some 'brush style' screening against the steep area (which is not far from being straight up and down), cutting out areas or attaching small pot like containers to grow them in. Maybe some cascading ones (if there is such a succulent) .

If anyone can give me any ideas if these plants will be happy like this and what sort are hardy and will suit this type of planting would be greatly appreciated :-)

Learner Gardener from Hobart :-)
Blackcat
Lawn trimmer

Re: Thinking of using Succulents... Need some help please :-

Postby bubba louie » Mon Jun 04, 2012 2:51 pm

Sorry I'd love to help but you're way outside my climate zone.
“Just living is not enough... One must have sunshine, freedom, and a little flower.”
Hans Christian Andersen
bubba louie
Garden Wizard

Postby Pam » Tue Jun 05, 2012 4:54 am

I'd say you really need to consider a retaining wall for an area that high. It sounds like you have rocks laid on. so my inclination would be to use those.

I'd have thought that succulents would struggle in your cold temperatures. Do you get frosts at all?
Pam
Garden Wizard

Postby Blackcat » Tue Jun 05, 2012 10:05 am

Hi Pam,

We have had the area excavated for a couple of years now with good rains through out this time and the area has never eroded. The area that isn't so high we have just placed like a rocky dry wall against it but didn't really want to do it for this area being taller. There are people that do sell lots of succulents down here even though we do get frosts so I figured there must be some for our climate :-).
Blackcat
Lawn trimmer

Postby Izzy Regan » Tue Dec 06, 2016 3:31 pm

Hi Pam,

There are hardy succulents like Jovibarba heuffelii, Orostachys, and Rosulariayou you may want to consider. Among succulents, these guys do well in cold areas.
Izzy Regan
Weeder

Postby MarkSindone » Wed May 03, 2017 3:40 pm

When I think of hills, I would think of terraces. There have been several beautiful terraces of greenery at a few Asian countries that I have visited before. Though your climate differs from theirs, but I guess it would still work. All you need to do is to find the right type of plantation that would survive accordingly. Terraces are easy to build especially if the hill is accessible enough.
Mark Sindone @ http://supercheapselfstorage.com.au/facilities/sydney/sydney-inner-west/
MarkSindone
Cultivator

Return to Garden Forum