Sunflowers

This is the general garden forum where you can search existing messages for answers to your questions or post a new message for others to reply to. Use the topic specific forums where appropriate.

Moderators: Forum_mod, Pam, Luzy, jack, Sam

Sunflowers

Postby kellycook1990 » Thu Dec 20, 2012 9:46 am

I'm getting married at the end of April and am planning on growing sunflowers for decor as it's a country themed wedding. I thought I'd do a test run now, to see how long they take, best ways to grow them etc. I don't do ANY sort of gardening so I'd love a few tips.

- April is mid Autumn, is this an ok time to grow them, and how much earlier would I need to start so they're ready in time (I assume they would grow a lot faster in Summer)
- I need to travel 2.5 hours to my destinatin, and I will be there a few days in advance, so I need to decide how I'm going to transport them. Should I grow them in pots so they can go straight into the car and then cut them the day before? Or do they grow better in the ground? In which case I would have to try to dig them out by the roots to keep them as fresh as possible (I assume).

Feel free to flood me with advice on growing what I imagine is one of the easiest flowers out there.
kellycook1990
Apprentice

Re: Sunflowers

Postby tam » Thu Dec 20, 2012 10:50 am

Hope this helps you Kelly. I think they would be best grown in the ground and you pick the flowers to take with you.
Good luck on your day.
What part of the country do you live?
http://www.yates.com.au/kids-gardening/ ... sunflower/
tam
Gardening Sage

Postby bubba louie » Thu Dec 20, 2012 11:15 am

“Just living is not enough... One must have sunshine, freedom, and a little flower.”
Hans Christian Andersen
bubba louie
Garden Wizard

Postby flowerwallhire » Tue Oct 10, 2017 4:46 pm

This site is just really. I love blogs like this with good material. I've bookmarked this website and will be back.
Flower Wall Hire Brisbane - FloralEssenceFlowerWall
flowerwallhire
Apprentice

Return to Garden Forum