Help with hedging screen

This is the general garden forum where you can search existing messages for answers to your questions or post a new message for others to reply to. Use the topic specific forums where appropriate.

Moderators: Forum_mod, Pam, Luzy, jack, Sam

Help with hedging screen

Postby Gardennovice » Mon Oct 24, 2016 6:30 pm

I have a question for the garden experts here.

We're planning on planting a hedging screen against our Colorbond fence in the backyard. We are using Callistermon. My question is what distance from the fence should we plant the shrubs? They will grow up to 2m wide and 2.5m tall (if left unpruned( but we plan to keep them at a height of about 1.8-2m. I just want to make sure we don't plant them too close to the fence, but at the same time we don't have a lot of room there to play with.
Gardennovice
Cultivator

Re: Help with hedging screen

Postby Pam » Tue Oct 25, 2016 6:42 am

I wouldn't put them any closer than a metre and a half. That may seem a lot, but you're going to need to get behind them for maintenance.
Pam
Garden Wizard

Postby Gardennovice » Tue Oct 25, 2016 9:38 am

Thanks for that.

Not good. All my plans are a mess now.

If a plant is planted too close to a fence (for it's predicted spread), the plant will likely die?

Is a callistermon (Mary MacKillop variety) likely to reach its full spread?
Gardennovice
Cultivator

Postby Pam » Thu Oct 27, 2016 6:47 am

I know I'm answering a question with a question, but how close are you wanting to put it?

With a colourbond fence you're going to get some radiated heat and cold which may or may not affect your plants. There is also reduced airlfow around the plants, so an increased risk of pests, and you're going to be less able to get to it to treat it if you get pests on the fence side.
Pam
Garden Wizard

Return to Garden Forum