What is this plant???

This is the general garden forum where you can search existing messages for answers to your questions or post a new message for others to reply to. Use the topic specific forums where appropriate.

Moderators: Forum_mod, Pam, Luzy, jack, Sam

What is this plant???

Postby micky_d01 » Tue Nov 15, 2016 12:16 pm

We just purchased a house and these are planted in the yard. What are they! We need to find out to know how to care for them.
Attachments
IMG_9422.JPG
IMG_9423.JPG
IMG_9424.JPG
micky_d01
Lawn trimmer

Re: What is this plant???

Postby Pam » Wed Nov 16, 2016 6:17 am

It appears to be a lilly pilly AKA Syzygium. They can tend to be the cause of neighbour disputes if they become too high and block their sunshine. I'm assuming the purpose of putting them there was to cover the fence. If you want them to do that and not become leggy at the bottom you should give them a good prune now. It may seem extreme, but I would tip prune the lowest ones, then cut all the others back to the same height, just above a leaf.
Pam
Garden Wizard

Postby micky_d01 » Wed Nov 16, 2016 12:36 pm

Pam wrote:It appears to be a lilly pilly AKA Syzygium. They can tend to be the cause of neighbour disputes if they become too high and block their sunshine. I'm assuming the purpose of putting them there was to cover the fence. If you want them to do that and not become leggy at the bottom you should give them a good prune now. It may seem extreme, but I would tip prune the lowest ones, then cut all the others back to the same height, just above a leaf.

Excellent thanks Pam! I'm not experienced at all in gardening so that's a big help. So do you mean cut all the taller plants down to a similar height as the smallest ones? Will these eventually hedge? Should I prune their horizontal widths at all at this stage?
micky_d01
Lawn trimmer

Postby Pam » Wed Nov 16, 2016 12:56 pm

do you mean cut all the taller plants down to a similar height as the smallest ones?

Yes. A prune will do them all good and encourage bushy growth. It's almost impossible to cut them back too far, as they will reshoot from bare wood in just a short time. You shouldn't need to do that though.

With the smaller ones, just tip prune each stem. This will encourage lots of branching, so nice dense growth that you want in a hedge. Whatever height they end up being, cut the others back to around the same height. This will have a couple of advantages - firstly, your hedge will all develop at the same time, and secondly, those bigger ones won't shade the smaller ones, which would otherwise slow down their growth.
Yes, give the sideways growing stems a light prune too, as it will encourage them to branch.

When you've done that, give them a feed with something like dynamic lifter and a good watering with some seasol.

Once you've done this initial prune it will be a simple matter to just periodically run along with hedge clippers or whatever and just give them a light going-over.
Pam
Garden Wizard

Postby micky_d01 » Wed Nov 16, 2016 2:39 pm

Brilliant thanks again Pam! :D
micky_d01
Lawn trimmer

Return to Garden Forum