Ants in garden bed soil

This is the general garden forum where you can search existing messages for answers to your questions or post a new message for others to reply to. Use the topic specific forums where appropriate.

Moderators: Forum_mod, Pam, Luzy, jack, Sam

Ants in garden bed soil

Postby joane198 » Mon Nov 21, 2016 3:40 pm

I live near Ballarat Victoria. The soil in my garden beds is full of very small black ants which makes weeding and cultivating very difficult as they crawl all over me once disturbed. I haven't noticed nest areas - just the soil full when I disturb it. There were a few last year but this year more areas are affected. I've also noticed long lines of them around the clothesline and sides of the house. I do not have a problem with ants inside the house.
Any suggestions re how to get rid of them without too much damage?
Thank you
joane198
Weeder

Re: Ants in garden bed soil

Postby dalelesley » Wed Nov 23, 2016 4:50 pm

Try a product called ant ex. (spelling may be incorrect) you can buy it from Bunnings. Place small amounts around their tracking area and they will eat it and take it back to the nest that way you get the queen and all. However do not put it down round your pets or chooks...and...it takes a littlee time for it to work.
dalelesley
Head Gardener

Postby joane198 » Sat Nov 26, 2016 4:25 pm

Thank you. I will certainly try it. I have never seen so many tiny ants in the garden before this year and I have a large garden! I can't quite work out where the nests are - just lots of ants when I disturb the soil so I'll spread it round the main areas.
joane198
Weeder

Postby MarkSindone » Wed May 10, 2017 2:41 pm

I'm commenting here to reiterate the importance of ensuring that ant killer stuff doesn't go anywhere near where kids and animals can get at it because it is considered pretty toxic and poisonous. You could probably do a quick search about what plants are natural repellents for ants or see if there are any other more natural remedies to chase them away if you want a more organic solution. Good luck!
Mark Sindone @ http://supercheapselfstorage.com.au/facilities/sydney/sydney-inner-west/
MarkSindone
Cultivator

Return to Garden Forum