Do bees help vegies?

This is the general garden forum where you can search existing messages for answers to your questions or post a new message for others to reply to. Use the topic specific forums where appropriate.

Moderators: Forum_mod, Pam, Luzy, jack, Sam

Do bees help vegies?

Postby 1stgarden » Fri Dec 30, 2016 3:32 pm

I have a small vegetable patch and a small patio with two big lavender bushes. I was going to pull them out because i hate all the bees they attract. But are the bees of any benefit for the veggie garden?
1stgarden
Weeder

Re: Do bees help vegies?

Postby Pam » Sat Dec 31, 2016 7:11 am

You don't need the for leaf or rootcrops, and tomatoes and corn are self pollinating, but things like capsicums, eggplants, peas, beans etc all need something to pollinate them. Ants are the pollinators in some cases, but you'd find bees do a lot of it.

You don't necessarily need to keep the lavender plants there though .
Pam
Garden Wizard

Postby Perry The Pom » Fri May 12, 2017 1:31 pm

G'day,
While the Bees are foraging for nectar they are not going to attack you. The bees will only sting if you try to kill them. We have pick Zucchini's for hours and the bees are all over the flowers and never had a problem.
Cheers Perry
Perry The Pom
Weeder

Postby markgrogan » Sat Aug 26, 2017 5:52 pm

Bees are great for pollinating your flowers my friend. I wouldn't suggest you go hunting for their nest unless you know how to be a bee-keeper though. I personally would think it very fortuitous if I knew there was some fresh honey available near my home and that my flowers would continue to germinate well! Don't do anything to the little bugs!
Mark Grogan @ http://supercheapselfstorage.com.au/facilities/storage-wollongong/
markgrogan
Pruner

Return to Garden Forum