How do i attract bees to the garden without flowers?

This is the general garden forum where you can search existing messages for answers to your questions or post a new message for others to reply to. Use the topic specific forums where appropriate.

Moderators: Forum_mod, Pam, Luzy, jack, Sam

How do i attract bees to the garden without flowers?

Postby 1stgarden » Sat Feb 11, 2017 5:15 pm

I dont have much room and my lavender bush seems dead. I read that a spray of sugar water can attract bees? Has anyone tried this?
1stgarden
Weeder

Re: How do i attract bees to the garden without flowers?

Postby abwal » Thu Feb 16, 2017 8:49 am

Bees will not help your lavender to recover. Bees gather pollen from flowers and, in doing so, pollinate other flowers causing seed to form. Bees are great for assisting fruiting and seeding.

Are you giving your lavender too much water? Mulch around lavender plans is not a good idea either. If you have mulched, clear it from the base of the lavender.
Gardening is sharing.
abwal
Garden Wizard

Postby MarkSindone » Wed May 10, 2017 2:02 pm

I saw a post about this somewhere else, but I think I'll just follow up here since the questions haven't been asked yet - how long has your lavender bush been around for? Have you done anything differently to change how the bush is being cared for that could have affected how it's doing? You may want to take note of any major changes in the weather too to see if that could have been the cause too. As mentioned, bees may not be your solution.
Mark Sindone @ http://supercheapselfstorage.com.au/facilities/sydney/sydney-inner-west/
MarkSindone
Cultivator

Postby markgrogan » Mon May 22, 2017 2:42 pm

I should think that you would want to examine what you're currently doing with the lavender bush first as what abwal is suggesting here. Could be a number of different factors - did you change anything about the way you've been caring for it recently that could have caused the change? Is it a new bush or has it been around for long? Perhaps it's getting too much sun all of a sudden too. A lot of factors at play mate.
Mark Grogan @ http://supercheapselfstorage.com.au/facilities/storage-wollongong/
markgrogan
Pruner

Return to Garden Forum