Spring Onions, how much sunlight, water etc?

This is the general garden forum where you can search existing messages for answers to your questions or post a new message for others to reply to. Use the topic specific forums where appropriate.

Moderators: Forum_mod, Pam, Luzy, jack, Sam

Spring Onions, how much sunlight, water etc?

Postby Bubblebeam » Thu Aug 17, 2017 4:48 pm

Hello.

I'm trying to regrow my store bought spring onions. It's been maybe 1 and a half months now since using them and putting the roots in water, changing daily. About 2 weeks ago, I switched them to potting soil. They have continued to grow, albeit some of the tips have gone dry and yellow? I can't find anything on how often these need watering when in soil (not water) and how much sunlight a day. Could anyone help me out with this?

Thank you.
Bubblebeam
Lawn trimmer

Re: Spring Onions, how much sunlight, water etc?

Postby abwal » Tue Aug 22, 2017 10:36 am

Most vegetables prefer full sun but can be grown with morning sun only. You need to place your plants where they get full sun for most of the day or until mid day at least If you have had them inside, introduce them to sun gradually or they will burn. Water when the potting mix at the top of the pot starts to dry.
Gardening is sharing.
abwal
Garden Wizard

Re: Spring Onions, how much sunlight, water etc?

Postby markgrogan » Sat Aug 26, 2017 6:27 pm

I've always thought that growing root vegetables was a very smelly business. I get so forgetful with having to change out the water and I'm absolutely clueless when it comes to having to move the plants out into soil. I mean, clearly being diligent at remembering when you need to do what is key to helping plants to grow so I'm probably not a very good gardener, which is why I probably shouldn't be trawling the gardening forums! Haha!
Mark Grogan @ http://supercheapselfstorage.com.au/facilities/storage-wollongong/
markgrogan
Pruner

Return to Garden Forum