New Garden Bed

This is the general garden forum where you can search existing messages for answers to your questions or post a new message for others to reply to. Use the topic specific forums where appropriate.

Moderators: Forum_mod, Pam, Luzy, jack, Sam

New Garden Bed

Postby Forum_mod » Fri Mar 14, 2003 12:41 pm

Hello,
I am renovating my front garden. This tricky task has involved pulling up concrete, pulling out stumps etc etc. I am putting in a 2 tier lawn and have three garden beds. One garden bed is quite thin - approx 500mm wide by 4 metres in length. It\'s basically a long rectangle. I want to fill it with colour and think bulbs are the way to go - i was thinking packing the middle full of tulips and hyacinth and having a ground cover on the edges - maybe alyssum or something similiar. Can you please provide some guidance on the following questions.
1. Should I be looking at these bulbs or something different?
2. Do I need to put them in the fridge first?
3. When should I expect flowering?
4. How long will they be in flower?

i live in Vermont, Victoria.

Thanking you...

Dean

Name: Dean
Email: dean_tulloch@national.com.au
Subject: New Garden Bed
Thread: 485
Time: Tue, 26 Mar 2002 04:40:35 UTC
Forum_mod
Curator

Postby Forum_mod » Fri Mar 14, 2003 12:42 pm

Hi Dean,
Renovating new gardens is fun isn\'t it! I have recently completed mine too. One of my gardens is a similar size to yours. If your wanting color all year around tulips and hyacinths won\'t do this for you as they only flower early to mid spring. Still, a great choice to put in, I have used the same. I have also used a range of annuals to give some color whilst waiting on the \"flush\" of color from the bulbs. Try snapdragons, stock, cosmos just to name a few. If you plant now you will have color through winter then as the annuals die back your bulbs will come through. You could also try planting some bedding anemone, electric blue would look great amongst Tulips and Hyacinth and if planted in mass would create that \"ground cover\" your after with a beautiful effect. These will flower anywhere from early spring to mid summer.
Hope this helps, good luck!
Regards Tiffany

Name: Tiffany
Email: trickey2@bigpond.com
Subject: New Garden Bed
Thread: 485
Time: Wed, 27 Mar 2002 12:03:53 UTC
Forum_mod
Curator

Return to Garden Forum