Another spring blossom from Cordelia's garden

This is the Garden Express 2006 Spring Garden Photo Competition. Entrants need to be Garden Express Forum members. Please refer to the Competition Terms & Conditions and the specific Judging Criteria and Prize announcements. Entries closed November 30th 2006. Judging complete and winners announced.

Another spring blossom from Cordelia's garden

Postby Yani » Fri Oct 27, 2006 1:31 pm

Hi all,

I'll enter more pictures from Cordelia's garden on her behalf :) . Hope you will enjoy it :) .

Mouse and Bunny ROCKS!!! :lol: :lol:

Image Image
Yani
Garden Wizard

Postby The Estate » Fri Oct 27, 2006 1:47 pm

fruit trees ?? or just blossum trees.
The Estate
Garden Wizard

Postby Yani » Fri Oct 27, 2006 1:53 pm

Can't remember Thee :oops: :oops: . I think it is fruit tree but Cordelia will tell you more later :)
Mouse and Bunny ROCKS!!! :lol: :lol:

Image Image
Yani
Garden Wizard

Postby Comeilotei » Fri Oct 27, 2006 10:25 pm

Looks like a Pawlonia Tomentosa....just guessing by the shape of the flowers...I can confirm it if you posted a pic of the entire tree... :wink:

Comeilotei
Comeilotei
Plant a garden and you plant happiness!
Comeilotei
Garden Wizard

Postby cordelia » Sat Oct 28, 2006 11:43 am

Spot on, Comeilotei!
Yani takes fantastic photos, Doesn't she?

A few years ago my very elderly silk tree finallly lay down, and I needed instant shade on the north-western side of my house. This provided it in 2 years, and has been a delight ever since.

It started with a trunk about 1m high, with one huge leaf about half a metre in diameter, and grew about 2m in the first year. Next year it started with afew huge leaves, and soon became a small shade tree, and the third year it was huge and luxuriously shady and flowery.

Someone was once trying to get people to buy shares in growing them commercially, and they insisted that they didn't suffer from pests, but I suspect mine has the odd borer. I think it will perhaps not last forever, but it grew so fast...complete magic.
cordelia
Senior Curator

Postby Comeilotei » Sun Oct 29, 2006 8:16 pm

cordelia wrote:Spot on, Comeilotei!
Yani takes fantastic photos, Doesn't she?

A few years ago my very elderly silk tree finallly lay down, and I needed instant shade on the north-western side of my house. This provided it in 2 years, and has been a delight ever since.

It started with a trunk about 1m high, with one huge leaf about half a metre in diameter, and grew about 2m in the first year. Next year it started with afew huge leaves, and soon became a small shade tree, and the third year it was huge and luxuriously shady and flowery.

Someone was once trying to get people to buy shares in growing them commercially, and they insisted that they didn't suffer from pests, but I suspect mine has the odd borer. I think it will perhaps not last forever, but it grew so fast...complete magic.

I've been doing a little bit of resarch on this wonderful tree since moving to this beautiful part of the world...many homes out here have this tree gracing their front boundary which gives glorious blooms every spring....I said to myself "I want one, one day". A little bit of story/ folklore about the Pawlonia I read on the internet: According to old ancient Chinese tradition, when a baby girl is born, the father of the child will plant one of these trees in their front yard, and when the tree begins to bloom, it would be time for their daughter to get married. I think this is beautiful.

Comeilotei
Comeilotei
Comeilotei
Garden Wizard

Postby cordelia » Mon Oct 30, 2006 5:22 pm

Hmmmm...did they marry very young or have slower maturing trees? Probably both. I'd hate to marry my daughter off at 5....but a lovely story, nonetheless.
In Beijing, in the area where I was,they were about the only trees left out all winter. Many trees were rugged up under a matting thatch to protect them from the cold, and others were dug up and covered and put in a mound in a shed, and the mound covered like a huge haystack. In the spring they brought them all out again and put them in the holes left from the autumn.
cordelia
Senior Curator

Postby Comeilotei » Tue Oct 31, 2006 7:39 pm

cordelia wrote:Hmmmm...did they marry very young or have slower maturing trees? Probably both. I'd hate to marry my daughter off at 5....but a lovely story, nonetheless.
In Beijing, in the area where I was,they were about the only trees left out all winter. Many trees were rugged up under a matting thatch to protect them from the cold, and others were dug up and covered and put in a mound in a shed, and the mound covered like a huge haystack. In the spring they brought them all out again and put them in the holes left from the autumn.

Didn't know they flowered so quick! Perhaps in the olden days the trees were planted from a seed? :?

Comeilotei
Comeilotei
Comeilotei
Garden Wizard

Return to Spring Garden 2006 Photo Competition