a glimpse

This is the Garden Express 2006 Spring Garden Photo Competition. Entrants need to be Garden Express Forum members. Please refer to the Competition Terms & Conditions and the specific Judging Criteria and Prize announcements. Entries closed November 30th 2006. Judging complete and winners announced.

a glimpse

Postby tilly » Thu Nov 02, 2006 3:35 pm

This is looking from the front side toward the house.... I love my purple carpet....
tilly
Gardening Sage

Postby The Estate » Thu Nov 02, 2006 5:11 pm

beautiful tilly, a jacaranda tree :roll: :roll: if so how big and how fast does it grow.
The Estate
Garden Wizard

Postby Pokie » Thu Nov 02, 2006 5:13 pm

Great pic!

What different perspective to add to the comp. :)
Pokie
Garden Wizard

Postby midgin » Fri Nov 03, 2006 7:21 am

What a lovely big area...looks ideal for afternoon tea...with the Jacaranda carpet.
Don't be afraid to colour outside the lines.
midgin
Garden Wizard

Postby Spider Lily » Fri Nov 03, 2006 7:37 am

Looks lovely Tilly!

Now you just need the garden setting and as midgin said afternoon tea is ready
Spider Lily
Gardening Sage

Postby Shotgun Paul. » Fri Nov 03, 2006 8:05 am

Lovey picture also from what I can see a beautiful house :D :D can we see more of the house please :) :) 8) 8)
Shotgun Paul.
Head Curator

Postby Pam » Fri Nov 03, 2006 8:15 am

Trees can make the loveliest 'mess', can't they? I think some gardeners are often in too much of a hurry to have things nice and 'neat'. Your pic is lovely, Tilly.
Last edited by Pam on Fri Nov 03, 2006 8:44 am, edited 1 time in total.
Pam
Garden Wizard

Postby Yani » Fri Nov 03, 2006 8:40 am

Lovely Tilly :)

TheE, the latest Better Homes and Gardens have article about Jacaranda tree. Here is what it says:

Fast facts:

Jacarandas grow into moderately sized trees with broad crowns of lacy, fern like foliage.

Height: 12-15 m

Deciduous: Flowers appear before new foliage

Position: Full sun

Soil: Most if free draining

Best climate zones: Zone 6-8. From the zone map, I assumed NSW, ACT, VIC and TAS excludes heavy frost areas.

Colours: Mauve-Blue, pure white and port wine Jacaranda semiserrata in light magenta shade.

Hope this help.
Mouse and Bunny ROCKS!!! :lol: :lol:

Image Image
Yani
Garden Wizard

Postby Pam » Fri Nov 03, 2006 8:43 am

I discovered one the other day whose spread covers almost 2 house blocks. It is just stunning!
Pam
Garden Wizard

Postby tilly » Fri Nov 03, 2006 10:20 am

Thanks all. The Estate here is a photo of tree I think it would be around 20 metres high...it is very old the electricity people trim the side near the power lines every couple of years..with jacarrandas you always have babies popping up in the yard (bit of a nuisance)

Had to put this in..... this to me is what a garden is all about.....I could write a book on this tree house.. the stories with 3 kids, neighbourhood children plus all the friends.... a broken wrist (fancy jumping on to the sort of hedge)....a young couple coming to the door as they were attacked by water bombs when they came around the corner (they stood there like that young couple out of the Rocky Horror Picture show) plus heaps more ..the poor old cliveas pop up again when trampled upon...
Shotgun shall take some house photos..only got the digital this week so am having heaps of fun...
tilly
Gardening Sage

Postby The Estate » Fri Nov 03, 2006 10:50 am

Yay, I have always wanted one and have been thinking about it for some time now, as yes now I am the proud owner of one, tracked down a mature 3mtr one this morning and bought it, GOODBYE clothes line :twisted: :twisted: more pics to post.
The Estate
Garden Wizard

Postby Patricia » Sat Nov 04, 2006 12:24 pm

TE..think carefully before you position your jacarranda...we had to have one removed as it was close to house & we forever had limbs coming down near the roof...they are beautiful but would plant them well away from the house/garage. My parents had one & we as kids had a great time climbing in it...it also caused a few headaches as again the limbs can break off rather easily in high winds. My parents jaca had a trunk probably in excess of a metre wide.
Tai Chi - Mind, body and spirit are all exercised simultaneously. The continuous flowing movements of Tai Chi are based on the principle that running water never stagnates. The gentle movements relax your muscles while strengthening your body and mind.
Patricia
Gardening Sage

Postby Comeilotei » Sun Nov 05, 2006 1:12 pm

The Estate wrote:Yay, I have always wanted one and have been thinking about it for some time now, as yes now I am the proud owner of one, tracked down a mature 3mtr one this morning and bought it, GOODBYE clothes line :twisted: :twisted: more pics to post.

Well done TheE!!! Wow a 3m tree is pretty big! I hope yuo can show us some pics TheE! I love jacarandas. That's funny about your need (or NOT) of your clothesline!!! :lol: :lol: :lol:

Patricia's advice is spot on TheE. Whilst jacarandas are such beautiful glorious trees, do position them away from your house....

Comeilotei
Comeilotei
Plant a garden and you plant happiness!
Comeilotei
Garden Wizard

Postby Comeilotei » Sun Nov 05, 2006 1:14 pm

What a beautiful jacaranda Tilly!!! How lucky of you to have one...a mature one for that matter!

Comeilotei
Comeilotei
Plant a garden and you plant happiness!
Comeilotei
Garden Wizard

Postby The Estate » Sun Nov 05, 2006 5:23 pm

Well done TheE!!! Wow a 3m tree is pretty big! I hope yuo can show us some pics TheE! I love jacarandas. That's funny about your need (or NOT) of your clothesline!!! :lol: :lol: :lol:

It is at least 5 mtre. each was from the house and guttering at when it gets that sprend it will be pruned back, even though they say you shouldn't, plus have enough branches alrwdy to hang my smalls from :roll: :oops: :cry: :P :twisted:
The Estate
Garden Wizard

Postby The Estate » Sun Nov 05, 2006 5:23 pm

It is at least 5 mtre. each was from the house and guttering at when it gets that sprend it will be pruned back, even though they say you shouldn't, plus have enough branches alrwdy to hang my smalls from :roll: :oops: :cry: :P :twisted:
The Estate
Garden Wizard

Postby Luzy » Mon Nov 06, 2006 6:12 am

What a wonderful tree, tilly - and great memories. That seat underneath's fantastic, like a little hideaway. :D
Luzy
Garden Wizard

Postby sara » Mon Nov 06, 2006 6:58 am

I love that tantalising glimpse of the lovely house. :)
Paradise hangs shadowed in the forgotten corners of gardens.
Come visit Sara and the cats at the restoration project at Nonsuch.
sara
Head Curator

Return to Spring Garden 2006 Photo Competition