Retaining Wall

This is the Garden Express 2006 Spring Garden Photo Competition. Entrants need to be Garden Express Forum members. Please refer to the Competition Terms & Conditions and the specific Judging Criteria and Prize announcements. Entries closed November 30th 2006. Judging complete and winners announced.

Retaining Wall

Postby abwal » Fri Nov 24, 2006 9:03 pm

Once ugly retaining wall at our beach house. Mainly dwarf lantana, the hybrid non-seeding variety.

Last edited by abwal on Tue Dec 26, 2006 11:03 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Gardening is sharing.
abwal
Garden Wizard

Postby The Estate » Sat Nov 25, 2006 8:24 am

WOW you very lucky to have 2 gardens to look after. :evil:
The Estate
Garden Wizard

Postby Luzy » Sat Nov 25, 2006 6:36 pm

I don't think I've ever seen a better lantana, abwal! Just how high is that retaining wall????
Luzy
Garden Wizard

Postby The Estate » Sat Nov 25, 2006 7:07 pm

Luzy wrote:I don't think I've ever seen a better lantana, abwal! Just how high is that retaining wall????

Kept under control can make a very pretty hedge, only ever had one :evil: planted it as a tube over 10 years ago and took awhile to get rid of, but every plant has an appropiate place to be planted I didn't :oops:
The Estate
Garden Wizard

Postby Comeilotei » Sun Nov 26, 2006 3:03 pm

That looks lovely Abwal, great way to disguise ugly retaining walls!

Comeilotei
Comeilotei
Plant a garden and you plant happiness!
Comeilotei
Garden Wizard

Retaining wall

Postby abwal » Mon Nov 27, 2006 6:00 pm

Luzy, about 1.5 at highest point. The upright lantanas need pruning annually , but the prostrate ones (white,purple) only get tip pruned when I mow.
Gardening is sharing.
abwal
Garden Wizard

Postby Luzy » Mon Nov 27, 2006 6:52 pm

It's just amazing! I grew up in an area where lantana was a real problem (a declared weed now, I believe) and, in some pockets of the valleys, I'm sure the lantana got to about 30 feet high (but I was just a little kid...). I also remember getting into trouble for bringing the flowers home, as it's poisonous - was fun at the time! :lol: :lol:

And yet, it's still such a beautiful plant. Love your hedge, abwal!
Luzy
Garden Wizard

Retaining Wall

Postby abwal » Mon Nov 27, 2006 7:14 pm

Luzy, I believe nurseries no longer sell even these non-seeding hybrids because the large lantanas have become such a pest. I do not expect that I will have them much longer as the neighbours have just planted a row of Golden Cane palms along the top of the wall. These are almost as big a pest as the large lantanas in our climate and will probably kill out our dwarf lantanas.
Gardening is sharing.
abwal
Garden Wizard

Postby Pam » Mon Nov 27, 2006 7:59 pm

Luzy, I believe nurseries no longer sell even these non-seeding hybrids because the large lantanas have become such a pest.

Yes abwal, they were added to the declared plants list that came into effect in July 2003. The reasoning was that although they do not set seed, they can, nonethess, pollinate the weedy variety. I really doubt that prohibiting them from sale is likely to have much affect on the wild growths of it though, as there doesn't seem to me to be any reason that it wouldn't pollinate itself. :roll:
Pam
Garden Wizard

Postby abwal » Tue Nov 28, 2006 9:29 am

Pam, this would be particularly true in the area where I have them growing. We have done some bushwalking there and have never seen any lantana in the wild, which is fairly unusual.
Gardening is sharing.
abwal
Garden Wizard

Return to Spring Garden 2006 Photo Competition