This forum

A forum dedicated to bonsai, the art of growing dwarfed, ornamentally shaped trees or shrubs in small shallow containers.

Moderators: Forum_mod, Pam, taffyman, DrDuncs

This forum

Postby imonetwo » Mon Jan 28, 2008 10:03 pm

I would just like to say that I love this forum,especially the people who frequent it, I have been to others but most of their members are just collectors of established trees, not the same as people who are growers and stylists.
Once again I really do appreciate the people I have met and will probably meet via the forum.
Thank you all :)
Yours in Respect
Eric
imonetwo
Head Gardener

Re: This forum

Postby oproudfoot » Mon Jan 28, 2008 10:52 pm

Yeah Eric I too love this forum (particularly the bonsai section of it, but also the 'natives', 'fruit/veg/produce' and 'general' sections). Apart from the invaluable advice, what I personally find great about it is that even when there's obvious differences of opinion, the peeps herein seem able to swap a few posts/ 'talk' it out rationally and remain friendly, even if they don't necessarily end up agreeing. Sounds obvious that that's the way adults should interact, but sadly it's very often not the case in these online forum thingies...
Maybe it comes down to having good forum moderators ...
Cheers, Owen
oproudfoot
Curator

Postby Kieran F » Mon Jan 28, 2008 11:02 pm

this forum was very welcoming, and kind when i first joined =D
Maker of stupid posts.
Kieran F
Head Curator

Postby lmrk » Tue Jan 29, 2008 5:41 pm

This is a great forum - only really hang around the bonsai section (as that's my main interest), but also have a look at the garden gallery and garden forum from time to time. I've looked at joining some other bonsai forums, but the member appear really "hard core" and not that receptive to helping newbies, so I've been scared off. Here though, there are always great people who are very generous in sharing their experience and knowledge and very tolerant of newbie questions, no matter how stupid :? :lol: :lol: (Y)
Does a watched bonsai ever grow?
lmrk
Curator

Postby taffyman » Wed Jan 30, 2008 12:21 am

I have to agree with everything you've all said about the GE forums in general, and of course this forum in particular. I was 'playing around' on a few other Bonsai forums before I came across this one and I found that most of them were dominated by a 'select few' that had little or no time for newbies and others asking questions. It's as if they feel 'insulted' that someone dare ask a question - that obviously 'everyone should already know'. That sort of attitude really gets my goat. We all had to learn sometime. I go through all the forums just about everytime I log on to see what's happening and the information I've picked up is - as you say OPF - invaluable. I believe I know a reasonable amount about Bonsai, but I've picked up quite a bit of info from here as well. It's interesting to see what others are doing - or trying to do and telling us about it. That's why I'm quite happy to show my errors and mistakes as well as my successes. Hopefully, by doing so it will help others not to make the same mistakes.
I've also been lucky enough to meet some of the great people on here - we had a South East QLD get-together a few months ago and even Enrico came up from Vic, so it was a good day all round. It's good to be able to put faces with names, and hopefully we can do it again in the near future.
At least here on GE we can have a laugh and a shot at each other now and again with no offence meant and no offence taken.
OPF, I don't think it's just good moderators, although I do think they do a pretty good job - it's not a job I'd like to do. So from me, you mods can give yourselves a pat on the back. But it's more than that, it's the people themselves that also make it what it is - a very friendly and helpful place to 'hang around'.

very tolerant of newbie questions, no matter how stupid

Leah, I've said this a couple of times here - and I do believe it: There is no such thing as a stupid question - just a stupid answer. If the person asking a question knew the answer, then they wouldn't be asking it in the first place. When someone asks a question they are looking for information that they don't have. To an experienced person the question may sound trivial, but don't forget, they had to learn the answer previously to give themselves the experience and knowledge they have now.
Taffy
Have fun, life is way too short for anything else
taffyman
Garden Wizard

Postby Mister Wisteria » Wed Jan 30, 2008 8:48 am

taffyman wrote:
Leah, I've said this a couple of times here - and I do believe it: There is no such thing as a stupid question - just a stupid answer. If the person asking a question knew the answer, then they wouldn't be asking it in the first place. When someone asks a question they are looking for information that they don't have. To an experienced person the question may sound trivial, but don't forget, they had to learn the answer previously to give themselves the experience and knowledge they have now.

Have to agree with you on that one Taffy, how else does one learn anything. :D
Slip Slop & Slap and Don't Forget Your Hat.

Anti Skin Cancer Foundation.
Mister Wisteria
Garden Wizard

Return to Bonsai