I'VE FOUND IT!!!!!

A forum dedicated to bonsai, the art of growing dwarfed, ornamentally shaped trees or shrubs in small shallow containers.

Moderators: Forum_mod, Pam, taffyman, DrDuncs

I'VE FOUND IT!!!!!

Postby lmrk » Tue Jan 29, 2008 6:07 pm

For over 18 months I have been trying to identify this bonsai, which I bought from a neighbour when she moved out - she didn't know what it was, and I'd never seen one like it before. I had it for over a year and it just wouldn't grow and looked half dead. Repotted in Sept and put it in a spot with good direct morning sun and it's growing like crazy now!!

Sept 07:

Last weekend - AFTER a good pruning :shock: :shock:

I was trawling the net today and found a great website which has bonsai progression photos and articles. Came across this entry and thought, "this looks a little like the leaves on my tree":

http://www.bonsai4me.com/AdvTech/ATlonicera.htm

Now, armed with a possible name, did a google search for Lonicera nitida...........and found this website (click on the pic to enlarge it):

http://www.eplantsdirect.com.au/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=19

DEAD MATCH!!!! I now know it's a Loncerna nitida - Box leaf honeysuckle. Knowing what you have makes a difference as you can find out what it likes and doesn't like from a care perspective. Wasn't able to find many pics of this tree in bonsai form, so it may not be that great for bonsai. I really love it though, with its 3 little trunks - it looks like a miniature forest - now, to try to "fatten up" the trunks!!! :twisted: :twisted: And to think I was just seconds away from throwing it out!! :-@ :-@

Only one more unknown to go........................ :|

Cheers

Leah
Does a watched bonsai ever grow?
lmrk
Curator

Re: I'VE FOUND IT!!!!!

Postby imonetwo » Tue Jan 29, 2008 6:43 pm

Whats the other one Leah ?, do you have pic, and I have been thinking about what you could grow on the dark side of your balcony,maybe a Daphne. Mine will only grow in almost full shade.
Regards
Eric
imonetwo
Head Gardener

Postby lmrk » Wed Jan 30, 2008 6:55 pm

imonetwo wrote:and I have been thinking about what you could grow on the dark side of your balcony,maybe a Daphne

Can you bonsai daphne? That would be beautiful!!

The last unknown that I've got, I've seen around a lot - my folks had one at the last house they owned - had big mauve flowers during the summer. It's a really common tree, I've seen it around a lot of gardens, so I think I will find out what it is pretty soon.

This is what it looked like when I first got it - it was in the bargain section of a nursery for 5 bucks - I liked the unusual shape:

Since then, I have tried to shape it by drilling a hole through the pot base (almost drilling a hole in my arm in the process - very clumsy :shock: ) and wiring the main branch downwards. This is what it looked like a couple of months ago:

And here it is today. The 1st shot is looking down onto it from above:

I cut off new leaves and branches as they grow, with the aim of keeping the leaves small, but don't know how I will go. I think it is deciduous from memory, so will see how it goes. If anyone knows what it is, would appreciate it.
lmrk
Curator

Postby imonetwo » Wed Jan 30, 2008 11:47 pm

I was going to say hibiscus but after more thought I think its a lilac Leah,my old eyes only let me see close up and my nose keeps hit the monitor, but I do believe that is what it could be.

Regards
Eric
imonetwo
Head Gardener

Postby Pam » Thu Jan 31, 2008 5:52 am

That's a Duranta, Leah - maybe Geisha Girl.
Pam
Garden Wizard

Postby lmrk » Thu Jan 31, 2008 5:26 pm

Pam wrote:That's a Duranta, Leah - maybe Geisha Girl.

Thanks Pam :lol: (Y) Now they are all identified!!!
lmrk
Curator

Return to Bonsai