BIRDS... I hate them, and love them ...

A forum dedicated to bonsai, the art of growing dwarfed, ornamentally shaped trees or shrubs in small shallow containers.

Moderators: Forum_mod, Pam, taffyman, DrDuncs

BIRDS... I hate them, and love them ...

Postby oproudfoot » Mon Feb 04, 2008 12:54 am

Hi all, this is more of a 'rant' than a call for advice, but anyways, as happenned last year the resident Indian miner birds (i think that's what they are, medium sized/ mostly brown feathers/ yellow beaks/ not starlings) have decided that my trees are good to scratch around in each day while I'm at work. They're really destructive/ ruin my carefully created substrates in no time !... Nothing much I can do about it though I spose ... ? Maybe erect a scare-crow ?!? lol.
oproudfoot
Curator

Re: BIRDS... I hate them, and love them ...

Postby Tropicgardener » Mon Feb 04, 2008 10:52 am

Got a shotgun????? :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:
Tropicgardener
Senior Curator

Location: Airlie Beach....Whitsunday Region, Tropical Queensland

Postby West Coast Eagles » Mon Feb 04, 2008 11:29 am

You could try a toy windmill, one of those little ones (hard to explain) they don't like movement around them so that might scare them off.
Eagles - Premiers '92, '94 and '06
West Coast Eagles
Curator

Postby rosie » Mon Feb 04, 2008 7:08 pm

U could try hanging old CD's in your trees. Not a good look but gets rid of them :)
rosie
Head Curator

Postby taffyman » Mon Feb 04, 2008 7:19 pm

Hmm, Indian Miner? Introduced feral pest = Image :lol: How to really get rid of them - I have no idea. It seems that anything you try, the birds get used to it after a while and it's no longer a deterrent. Maybe try a number of different ideas over time. They then might finally get the idea that they aren't wanted in your garden. Trouble is, use some sort of deterrent on one type of bird and it will most likely scare all the others away as well.
Taffy
Have fun, life is way too short for anything else
taffyman
Garden Wizard

Postby orchid40 » Mon Feb 04, 2008 9:13 pm

Depending on how big an area you need to protect, would throwing birdwire mesh down be a practical idea ?
Gardening`s just another Obsessive Compulsive Disorder but I don`t want a cure !
orchid40
Gardening Sage

Postby oproudfoot » Mon Feb 04, 2008 9:48 pm

[OOPS, I accidentally posted this message in the 'general garden forum' from where admin has kindly moved it to here, after I posted the below message ...]

Aaargh, just realised I've accidentally posted this message in the wrong forum... I'm actually talking about my bonsais, so that changes things a bit ... hanging old CDs in the trees, for example is a no-go, as some of the trees are only about as big as a CD ...
LOL

My 'normal sized' trees can cope with any birds no worries ... and it's literally just one cheeky one that comes every morning and wrecks the bonsais... I tell ya, taking out the bird crossed my mind, he/she is very blatant/cheeky, will happilly scoop out large chunks of substrate (rocks/ moss/ whatever) and theatrically toss them aside while I stand just a few feet away... While I presume it would be quite legal to knock the bird off as these guys are an introduced pest, I simply don't have the heart for it ... While I HATE this bird A LOT, oddly, I've also grown fond of it !!! Sounds like a very zany/ hippy-type idea, but maybe I could catch it and release it far away ... ? Though that in itself is probably an offense, kinda' like catching a carp and releasing it back into the same water-way is ... I don't suppose the peeps living in the area where I released the bird would be too happy ...
Aaah, life's little dilemnas.
Last edited by oproudfoot on Tue Feb 05, 2008 7:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
oproudfoot
Curator

Postby Kerrie » Mon Feb 04, 2008 11:00 pm

I accidentally found a great way to keep birds away, my kids left their toy rubber snake lying in the gardenbed. The birds would fly in, see it, and veer off. I moved it around every few days so they didn't get used to it in the same spot. Worked like a charm! You could grab some cheap ones from the $2 shop and put them inbetween the bonsai pots.

Kerrie
Kerrie
Curator

Postby Longy » Tue Feb 05, 2008 8:17 am

Firstly, you need to determine if they are indian mynahs or the native miners. Indian mynahs are a terrible pest bird. They will kill off all the other birds in an area and use up the nesting sites. They need to be eradicated. Winged cane toads they are. You can get traps for the Indian Mynah. Here is a website which will help you determine if it's the Indian Mynah and which explains what you can do about it.

http://sres-associated.anu.edu.au/myna/index.html
Longy
Head Curator

Postby mitcho » Tue Feb 05, 2008 8:36 am

Flying cane toads we call them. They are classed as the most invasive bird species in the world. Some councils were catching them I think and there are traps made for them specifically. We have a small colony down the road so far they have not come up this way. We have heaps of native birds here but if the others turn up I will try and kill them. I grew up with the mongrels in Cairns. :x
mitcho
Curator

Postby lmrk » Tue Feb 05, 2008 4:56 pm

Used to be millions of mynah birds round my place - so aggressive that no other birds could be found in the area. They would sit on the window ledge and warble incessantly at dawn, crap all over the air conditioner and make nests in the spouting (real pain and mega expensive when you're 3 stories high to get the plumber out to fix it!!!). Massive pest :twisted: :twisted: . BUT noticed over the last year that the mynah birds literally disappeared - not one to be found (Y) (Y) :D Only just figured out why - 4 magpies have moved into the area (not sure if they're mum & dad & 2 kids, or two couples). When it comes to being territorial, they make the mynah birds look like Pollyana!!!!!!! I believe they may have dispatched all the mynah's (along with the doves and other birds unfortunately :( )

So that's your answer - get a couple of Maggies and you won't have a mynah bird ever again!!!! How to lure magpies into your area is the hard part!
Does a watched bonsai ever grow?
lmrk
Curator

Postby oproudfoot » Tue Feb 05, 2008 7:11 pm

As it happens I love maggies... the place I grew up in had a pair of them that would nest in the huge gum-tree out the back every year... they were easy to befriend, by feeding them some meat-scraps now and then. I'd love it if a pair started to nest near my house. Hmmm.
oproudfoot
Curator

Postby oproudfoot » Tue Feb 05, 2008 7:14 pm

Oh yeah, and Longy, it is definitely and Indian Myna.
Cheers, Owen
oproudfoot
Curator

Return to Bonsai