Clero Demo

A forum dedicated to bonsai, the art of growing dwarfed, ornamentally shaped trees or shrubs in small shallow containers.

Moderators: Forum_mod, Pam, taffyman, DrDuncs

Clero Demo

Postby taffyman » Sun Jun 15, 2008 8:12 pm

This was a demonstration I did for the Bromeliad Society in March of this year. I’ve been waiting for the photos from their Society photographer.
The little tree is Clerodendron Glabra. There’s some discussion as to whether it’s Clerodendron or Clerodendrum. No matter, I’ll go by what I was told when it was given to me. I’ll post the photos of the demo first, and then I’ll do a history of the tree.
You can see how wild it was before I started the demo. The only thing I’d done to the tree was to put some wire on the branches and trunk to save time – I didn’t do any styling at all prior to the demo. I had never worked on a Clero before so I had no idea how it was going to perform. When I do demonstrations I like to get the audience involved so I took six different pots with me and let them choose. Each one they said was ok I put to one side and the others I put away. I then went through the ‘acceptable’ pots again until we came to an agreement over this one (and it was also the one I thought suited the tree the best as well). As you can see between the second and third photo, I took off a considerable amount of the root ball so it would fit into the chosen pot. After cutting away so much of the root system and then about an equal amount (or even a bit more) of the foliage, I still didn’t know how it was going to take to so much heavy pruning – especially because of the time of the year. I’m happy to say that it never lost a single leaf and has been growing strong ever since. The lower branches on the left and right were deliberately left too long because I didn’t want to completely defoliate them for fear that they wouldn’t re-shoot. I’ve since cut them back more in line with the overall shape, but as the tree grows and develops those lower branches will be allowed to elongate again. By the way, notice my ‘yew beaut’ home made root-raker in the second photo?

Image Image Image Image Image Image Image

Now to the history of this little tree: It started life as a seed about four or five years ago. I got hold of it just over two years ago and the first photo is what it looked like after I got it and repotted it into a larger pot with some decent mix. A few months later it was as the third and fourth photos below show. It took the last two years to recover from some bad neglect, but by March of this year it was as you see it in the first photo of the demonstration. On 17th April I put it in our City Hall Centenary display (5th photo) and at our annual Fraser Coast Show it achieved 2nd place in the Leaning/Slanting class. The Bromeliad people were over the moon that their ‘Brom Tree’ (that’s what they’re calling it) had won a certificate. I had a look at it today and it has developed quite a bit more foliage. After a bit of pruning, the end result is in the last photo. The tree stands 220mm high from the rim of the pot and the foliage is 270mm wide.

Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image

Update:

I re-potted this one about two months ago because it was out-growing that nice cream pot. The one it's in now is too large for the tree but I wanted it to grow on a bit - which it is in the process of doing. In a couple of months time I'll find another pot more suited to the tree and re-pot it again. Today I took the wire off that I put on when I did the re-pot and did a bit of pruning on it. It doesn't look like it but it has increased in size - in particular the thickness of the trunk. When I do the next re-pot, I'll angle it over a few more degrees - because I think it will look a bit better. If it doesn't then I'll put it back to where it is now. These trees don't appear to slow down with the cool weather too much in our climate - it's constantly putting out new leaves, so I'll keep fertilizing it regularly to fill the foliage pad out.

Taffy
Have fun, life is way too short for anything else
taffyman
Garden Wizard

Re: Clero Demo

Postby guzzigirl » Sun Jun 15, 2008 10:12 pm

gosh you're clever Taffy :D
“Although you’ll find our house a mess, come in, sit down, converse…
It doesn’t always look like this! Sometimes it’s even worse!”
guzzigirl
Garden Wizard

Postby taffyman » Sun Jun 15, 2008 10:19 pm

Not really GG. The tree does all the work - I just try and point it in the right direction :D
Taffy
taffyman
Garden Wizard

Postby imonetwo » Mon Jun 16, 2008 12:11 am

Nicely done Taffy, very nicely done (Y)

Regards
Eric
imonetwo
Head Gardener

Postby Pam » Mon Jun 16, 2008 6:07 am

You even put on a clean shirt for the day - cool! :twisted:

(That's a good-looking tree, Taffy)
Pam
Garden Wizard

Postby Mister Wisteria » Mon Jun 16, 2008 9:55 am

Well done Taffy, did you pick up a good looking young bloke as your stand in for the photo's. :lol: :lol: :lol:
Slip Slop & Slap and Don't Forget Your Hat.

Anti Skin Cancer Foundation.
Mister Wisteria
Garden Wizard

Postby lmrk » Mon Jun 16, 2008 11:01 am

Fantastic demonstration Taffy!!!! (Y) (Y) Is it an Australian native?
Does a watched bonsai ever grow?
lmrk
Curator

Postby guzzigirl » Mon Jun 16, 2008 2:09 pm

taffyman wrote:Not really GG. The tree does all the work - I just try and point it in the right direction :D

Don't sell yourself short Taffy. I'm sure most of us wish we could do half as good with the same material.
“Although you’ll find our house a mess, come in, sit down, converse…
It doesn’t always look like this! Sometimes it’s even worse!”
guzzigirl
Garden Wizard

Postby taffyman » Mon Jun 16, 2008 7:55 pm

Thanks guys. Yes Pam, bit different from my normal shorts and T-shirt :lol: No Mr W, that was a cardboard cut-out I found at the tip. Just knew it would come in handy one day :shock:. Leah, I'm not sure exactly where it comes from. I'm still having a little difficulty accurately identifying it. I know it's one of the Clero's and was originally told it was Clerodendrum Inerme, and later Clerodendrum Glabra (by a more experienced person than me), but the images I've been able to find all show a larger and more rounded leaf - and I can't find a reference to it being called Glabra. PlanetNet (NSW Gov site) describes it as:
'Leaves with lamina ovate or elliptic, usually 3–10 cm long, 1–4 cm wide, apex obtuse to shortly acuminate, base rounded to ± cuneate, margins entire, glabrous; petiole 0.5–2 cm long'.

Leaves 3cm long and 1cm wide would be correct and with the reference to the 'glabrous' leaves, perhaps that's where the Glabra comes from. If it is this one, then yes it is a native - northern NSW, QLD and NT. Clerodendrums come from Africa, Asia and some from the Americas and Australia and cover about 400 different species - even the beautiful 'Bleeding Heart Vine' is a Clerodendrum.

GG, Yourself and a couple of others here really do have the capabilities - it just takes time and patience, and as we say - 'seeing the tree within'. Don't forget, it's taken me just over 2 years to get it to this stage.
Later on in the year, I'm going to take some cuttings from my larger one (Much Larger!) and if I can get them to strike I'll be happy to send them to anyone that would like some. Oh, and this little one was grown from a seed off the larger one. I thought I'd done a post on the larger one but I can't find it. I did post a couple of photos of it earlier on but it's changed a lot since then, so I'll do a post of it - the parent of this one :)
Taffy
taffyman
Garden Wizard

Postby Pam » Tue Jun 17, 2008 6:03 am

Taffy, ANBG does plant identification - it's free for home gardeners, for up to 10 plants.

If you have trouble finding the relevant page, let me know and I'll see if I can track it down again.
Pam
Garden Wizard

Postby Luzy » Tue Jun 17, 2008 5:46 pm

Oh, wow... what a top plant for a demo. I really like being able to see your current form within the plant when you were starting demo. Taffy, was the movement in the trunk (when it was growing up) intentionally planned or a just a happy happening?
Luzy
Garden Wizard

Postby Sam » Tue Jun 17, 2008 6:34 pm

Pam wrote:Taffy, ANBG does plant identification - it's free for home gardeners, for up to 10 plants.

If you have trouble finding the relevant page, let me know and I'll see if I can track it down again.

Queensland Herbarium does, too. I'll try and find the link.
“Tomatoes and oregano make it Italian, wine and tarragon
make it French, sour cream makes it Russian, lemon and
cinnamon make it Greek, soya sauce makes it Chinese, Garlic
makes it good.” Alice May Brock, Alice’s Restaurant Cookbook.
Sam
Garden Wizard

Postby taffyman » Tue Jun 17, 2008 11:32 pm

Pam, Sam, thanks for that info girls - I'll follow it up (Y)
That first bend in the trunk Luzy was the result of the trunk being cut off directly above the lowest branch at a very early age. This little tree could quite easily have been developed as a semi - or even a full cascade. On its next repot, I'm going to see what it will look like leaning a bit further over to the left. Who knows, it may yet turn into a semi cascade, but at the moment I like it as it is :-?
Taffy
taffyman
Garden Wizard

Postby taffyman » Sat May 30, 2009 8:16 pm

Just done an update on this one - up top!
Taffy
taffyman
Garden Wizard

Return to Bonsai