Atlas Cedar CEDRUS ATLANTICA (title edited)

A forum dedicated to bonsai, the art of growing dwarfed, ornamentally shaped trees or shrubs in small shallow containers.

Moderators: Forum_mod, Pam, taffyman, DrDuncs

Atlas Cedar CEDRUS ATLANTICA (title edited)

Postby guzzigirl » Wed Jun 18, 2008 7:02 pm

Bought this at the markets today. Thought it had some potential...

Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image

needle length is 2cm
Last edited by guzzigirl on Tue Jan 06, 2009 5:20 pm, edited 2 times in total.
“Although you’ll find our house a mess, come in, sit down, converse…
It doesn’t always look like this! Sometimes it’s even worse!”
guzzigirl
Garden Wizard

Re: Juniper or Pine????

Postby taffyman » Wed Jun 18, 2008 9:33 pm

Think it might be a Needle Juniper - Juniperus Rigida GG. If it is, they can make stunning Bonsai. Has it got potential? Yes, heaps - you got a good buy there (Y)
Taffy
Have fun, life is way too short for anything else
taffyman
Garden Wizard

Re: Juniper or Pine????

Postby guzzigirl » Wed Jun 18, 2008 10:25 pm

taffyman wrote:Think it might be a Needle Juniper - Juniperus Rigida GG. If it is, they can make stunning Bonsai. Has it got potential? Yes, heaps - you got a good buy there (Y)

Thanks Taffy :D
guzzigirl
Garden Wizard

Re: Needle Juniper - Juniperus Rigida

Postby Pam » Thu Jun 19, 2008 6:34 am

I love it already! :D
Pam
Garden Wizard

Postby alpinebonsart » Mon Jan 05, 2009 4:49 am

Dont be disappointed but it is definately an Atlas Cedar CEDRUS ATLANTICA there is several sub species blue green and golden . In the shade a green Atlas will have a blue hue , but in full sun it will be a darker green . Either way far superior to a Needle juniper and with the change colours from shade to full sun they are absolutely stunning .That is an excellent specimen , have you began to shape and style your dream bonsai if so please post a pic if not why not ?? for more info and idea's on styling and For better quality pics "Google" " Bonsai Atlas Cedar"

I'm working towards improving my picture quality on this site .I have dozens of Atlas Cedars to work with but none of that quality. I use many unusual methods to train cedars to give an idea of how your tree can look with any cutting . As you have been onG.E for so long why dont you dummy style your tree and show pics, i'm sure you would get some fantastic comments and assistance.I dummy train trees when i'm stuck for styling no cutting or removal of any foliage until the finished style is acceptable .

Many good informals , literati , and slanting styles can be investigated using this method . Some switch on computer operaters use computer virtuals ,sorry out of my league , i use the KISS method . Keep It Simple Stupid and it works well for me .Cheers Ian
100_2074.jpg
100_2069.jpg
Atlas Cedar foliage with its first cone {tree 15 years old from seed
100_2070.jpg
Last edited by alpinebonsart on Mon Jan 05, 2009 5:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
alpinebonsart
Curator

Postby guzzigirl » Mon Jan 05, 2009 4:34 pm

alpinebonsart wrote:Dont be disappointed but it is definately an Atlas Cedar CEDRUS ATLANTICA ...

thanks for the ID and info alpinebonsart. I will definitely be looking it up. No I haven't started work on it yet, to my shame. may I plead having a broken wrist for the past 8 weeks as an excuse? I am a true beginner and have a few little projects going and perhaps one day will have something to be proud of.
guzzigirl
Garden Wizard

Postby alpinebonsart » Mon Jan 05, 2009 5:03 pm

guzzigirl wrote:
alpinebonsart wrote:Dont be disappointed but it is definately an Atlas Cedar CEDRUS ATLANTICA ...

thanks for the ID and info alpinebonsart. I will definitely be looking it up. No I haven't started work on it yet, to my shame. may I plead having a broken wrist for the past 8 weeks as an excuse? I am a true beginner and have a few little projects going and perhaps one day will have something to be proud of.

You have the makings of a exceptional bonsai , excellent trunk movement , very nice branch placement and plenty of candles to improve ramafication /branchlets . Sorry to hear about your wrist . We are all beginners ,just at various stages . I will endevour to find a specimen like that and dummy train it online ,it may take a while . I would estimate that potted plant is around 8-12 years old by the look of the candles . Growing in good to excellent conditions 8-9 years , in poor conditions 10-12years old .

A good move would be to knock it out of its pot using a sharp knife slice vertically down the rootball no more the 10-15 mm deep 5-6 times around the perimetre of the roots without teasing the roots out place it into a pot 50mm bigger placing bonsai mix at the base and fill the outside with the same mix Available at Bunnings, filling it to the same level as per original .

Submurge in a bucket of water for 10 minutes to remove the air in the potting mix and the Nitrigen locked up in the rootball . The cuts will relieve the pressure on the rootball resulting in new root growth and a new flush of top growth within weeks improving your master class specimen .Cheers and happy future Bonsai Ian
alpinebonsart
Curator

Postby guzzigirl » Mon Jan 05, 2009 7:33 pm

I did repot it into a broader but shallow pot since those photos. Can't remember what the roots were like then though :oops: . The idea was to allow the roots grow out a bit more sideways before attacking it.
guzzigirl
Garden Wizard

Postby imonetwo » Tue Jan 06, 2009 3:40 pm

Next time your going past, drop in and have a look at the cones mine is growing GG

regards
Eric
imonetwo
Head Gardener

Postby guzzigirl » Tue Jan 06, 2009 5:18 pm

imonetwo wrote:Next time your going past, drop in and have a look at the cones mine is growing GG

regards
Eric

thanks Eric. been a while since we had a natter.
guzzigirl
Garden Wizard

Re: Atlas Cedar CEDRUS ATLANTICA (title edited)

Postby imonetwo » Fri Jan 16, 2009 9:47 pm

First Cone on my cedar

Regards
Eric
imonetwo
Head Gardener

Postby taffyman » Fri Jan 16, 2009 9:49 pm

Good stuff Eric (Y) How old is the tree, did it come from a cutting?
Taffy
taffyman
Garden Wizard

Postby imonetwo » Fri Jan 16, 2009 9:52 pm

9 years from seed Taffy :)

Regards
Eric
imonetwo
Head Gardener

Postby taffyman » Fri Jan 16, 2009 10:01 pm

9 years! No wonder they're a fairly slow growing tree. That's why I asked, because I guess from a cutting it would most likely produce cones earlier.
Taffy
taffyman
Garden Wizard

Postby alpinebonsart » Tue Jan 20, 2009 7:08 am

imonetwo wrote:First Cone on my cedar

Regards
Eric

Hi imonetwo is your Cedar an Atlas {atlantica} or a Deodara {Himalayan} .The Atlas has 15-20mm needles and the Deodara has 20-50mm needles . Cheers
alpinebonsart
Curator

Postby imonetwo » Mon Jan 26, 2009 8:00 pm

Its a Cedrus Libani or Cedar of lebanon.Very similar to Atlas in colour etc,slightly longer needles.

Sorry for taking so long Ian, hot weather has me watering constantly, I have several 100 trees and I can water them all with 9 litres :)

Regards
Eric
imonetwo
Head Gardener

Return to Bonsai