Bonsai Surgery

A forum dedicated to bonsai, the art of growing dwarfed, ornamentally shaped trees or shrubs in small shallow containers.

Moderators: Forum_mod, Pam, taffyman, DrDuncs

Bonsai Surgery

Postby alpinebonsart » Sat Jan 03, 2009 11:17 am

This is a transformation of a yamadori pine i have the pleasure of crafting into what will be a Master-piece in a year or two . I have atempted to upload numerous pics however they were not successful so for the full view you will have to visit my Blog. http://alpinebonsart.blogspot.com/ {better quality pictures ,double click on pics for close-up detail} and i promise to learn how to upload to this site , so you can see the full transformation of my works.Anyway this pine was collected in Winter last year , it was a roadside choptop and had the top branch taking over as a new leader . I basically removed the old stub and with a coping saw removed a large " V " from the existing fork on the new leader to the topside of the of the secondary branch . Using aluminium splints and vise grips i closed the veneer together and placed cable ties around the trunk and splints , then using 2 solid brass screws i screwed the join together. They will remain permanently inside the trunk hence solid brass or stainless should only be used not coated screws. I sealed the graft with wound sealer and wired the trunk into the desired shape . I will now be allowed to grow on for a year or so and further training will take place over Winter 2009 . This entire process took a mere 2 hours to perform . Well back to the drawing board for the next challenge . Cheers Ian
100_2097.jpg
No reduction of the folige due to the extreme heat to maintain sap flow
100_2092.jpg
rectifying trunk to a uniform thickness
100_2090.jpg
removal of the inner part of the trunk to reduce unsightly swelling of the trunk
100_2097.jpg
No reduction of the folige due to the extreme heat to maintain sap flow
alpinebonsart
Curator

Return to Bonsai