DESIGN HELP NEEDED INSPIRATION REQUIRED

A forum dedicated to bonsai, the art of growing dwarfed, ornamentally shaped trees or shrubs in small shallow containers.

Moderators: Forum_mod, Pam, taffyman, DrDuncs

DESIGN HELP NEEDED INSPIRATION REQUIRED

Postby alpinebonsart » Wed Jan 07, 2009 8:24 pm

Hi all i am loking for a design for a box or privet .If you can identify thats a good start. I have never worked with this material before so input is most welcome form all bonsai'ist new and old , how ever i would like the chosen design ,designed orsubmitted by a novice and attempted to bring the drawing or picture to life .

You have 1 week to submit a style from which i will choose , and a further week to submit a design or picture which i will endevour to replicate placing pics as we go through the process. the winning design/designer will at their expense be able to have the pleasure of owning the finished work ,however can only be post to the East coast NO POSTAGE AVAILABLE TO W.A N.T OR TAS ,SORRY I DONT MAKE THE RULES , I BREAK THE RULES , BUT NOT THIS ONE .

I will packge up safely, you will if you want to own it pay registered post to your door . Happy pondering in 1 week i will pick a style and its up to those who are interested to design along that style .Go ahead challenge yourself ,motivate me and inspire us all. Cheers Ian
100_2231.jpg
AS IS WHERE IS IN THE GARDEN
100_2233.jpg
REMOVED PHYSICALLY FROM WHERE IS WAS DROPPED 18 MONTHS AGO
100_2234.jpg
AWAITING YOU IS YOUR NEW ADDITION TO YOUR COLLECTION
alpinebonsart
Curator

Re: DESIGN HELP NEEDED INSPIRATION REQUIRED

Postby taffyman » Thu Jan 08, 2009 12:00 pm

There you go guys, get your thinking caps on - you could have a real Gem on your hands here (Y)
Don't be afraid or think your ideas aren't good enough - all input is well worth the effort. Have a bash and see where your inspiration leads you. :-?
Taffy
Have fun, life is way too short for anything else
taffyman
Garden Wizard

Postby Undergrounder » Thu Jan 08, 2009 4:05 pm

Just a question, can you split it up to create a multiple planting with those different trunks?
Undergrounder
Head Gardener

Postby alpinebonsart » Thu Jan 08, 2009 4:42 pm

Undergrounder wrote:Just a question, can you split it up to create a multiple planting with those different trunks?

Hi Undergrounder , on close inspection it appears to have 3 plants in the clump 2 lots of 3 and a main clump of 6-7 ,each plant has a very pronounced bent trunk it is 400mm high , 500mmwide , sorry i haven't identifed the plant ,it has a small ace of spades type leaf in pairs . I posess a Avika racing axe can do anything . Cheers
alpinebonsart
Curator

Postby taffyman » Thu Jan 08, 2009 8:55 pm

Ian, I don't believe it's privet. I have Ligustrum Vulgaris (Broad leaf privet), Ligustrum Ovalifolia (Small leaf privet), Ligustrum Ovalifolia Aureum (Lemon Lime and Clippers) and they all have grey/dark brown trunks with a rougher bark.
The bark on your clump appears to be peeling in places and seems to be smooth and shiny which doesn't match any Buxus I know of either.
The bark, trunk and the way the branches come away from the trunk appear to be very similar to Crape Myrtle but with very much smaller leaves.
Whatever it is, it looks like a good tree to work with.
Taffy
taffyman
Garden Wizard

Postby alpinebonsart » Fri Jan 09, 2009 6:33 am

taffyman wrote:Ian, I don't believe it's privet. I have Ligustrum Vulgaris (Broad leaf privet), Ligustrum Ovalifolia (Small leaf privet), Ligustrum Ovalifolia Aureum (Lemon Lime and Clippers) and they all have grey/dark brown trunks with a rougher bark.
The bark on your clump appears to be peeling in places and seems to be smooth and shiny which doesn't match any Buxus I know of either.
The bark, trunk and the way the branches come away from the trunk appear to be very similar to Crape Myrtle but with very much smaller leaves.
Whatever it is, it looks like a good tree to work with.

Hi Taffyman , it has similar bark as you say to a Crepe Myrtle with very fine flakes peeling up the trunks . Tried a google search last night with no success will go to a specailist Nursery today to see if he can help identify the plant . Cheers
alpinebonsart
Curator

Postby alpinebonsart » Fri Jan 09, 2009 3:37 pm

Come on people we all need a little inspiration now and again. I have had the plant identified by a Nurseryman it is a Box-leaf Honeysuckle Lonicera Nitida excellent for amatuer bonsaists and the more experienced as the traning is purely trimming with shears . I will have to use my Hedge trimmers or scissors , I ONLY HAVE BRANCH TRIMMERS IN MY TOOL BOX . I DO POSESS AN AXE , CHAINSAW , HANDSAW , PRUNNING SAW AND VARIOUS CARPENTRY TOOLS but they wont be required for this job . Here is a drawing that took 5 minutes to do ,
Picture of bonsai.jpg
5 minute pencil drawings , coloured with borrowed texta's
however i had to borrow the pencils as i dont have any myself . 50 lookers and 2 replies .coooommmmeeee ooonnnn It took me over a decade to find this site and nobody wants to play ball.
alpinebonsart
Curator

Postby Pam » Fri Jan 09, 2009 3:40 pm

Given that 20 of the looks are mine, and 20 are Taffy's, that leaves only 10, Ian. :lol: I'm not very creative, but am looking forward to what you and others come up with for this tree.
Pam
Garden Wizard

Postby Undergrounder » Fri Jan 09, 2009 6:00 pm

Hey Alpine that top one is kind of what i was thinking...

Maybe you can air layer a few more of those long, thin branches and turn them into new trees? Get maybe 6 to 8 single-trunked trees and make a sloping scene like this one:

Kind of like the third bonsai (creative bonsai forest) on this page

Except less of a 'mossy forest style' and more of a temperate, fallen-leaves kind of look. Lots of dead limbs going up the branches etc, Pine woods in Autumn kind of thing.

Undergrounder
Head Gardener

Postby Pam » Sat Jan 10, 2009 4:39 am

Ian, try Lonicera nitida - box honeysuckle.
Pam
Garden Wizard

Postby alpinebonsart » Sat Jan 10, 2009 11:11 am

Pam wrote:Given that 20 of the looks are mine, and 20 are Taffy's, that leaves only 10, Ian. :lol: I'm not very creative, but am looking forward to what you and others come up with for this tree.

Ah well thats 3 KEEN ARTIST AND 9 INTERESTED PEOPLE , could be worse.Cheers
alpinebonsart
Curator

Postby alpinebonsart » Sat Jan 10, 2009 11:18 am

Undergrounder wrote:Hey Alpine that top one is kind of what i was thinking...

Maybe you can air layer a few more of those long, thin branches and turn them into new trees? Get maybe 6 to 8 single-trunked trees and make a sloping scene like this one:

Except less of a 'mossy forest style' and more of a temperate, fallen-leaves kind of look. Lots of dead limbs going up the branches etc, Pine woods in Autumn kind of thing.

This plant wold look better as a full canopy tree as the foliage is not like a broadleaf or coifer type plant . Yes i love the artists work if a certain lanscape , be it upright cliff , slanting hillside slab , flat slab landscape or distant mountain scene , i'm willing to be inspired and motivated by you . Cheers
alpinebonsart
Curator

Postby alpinebonsart » Sat Jan 10, 2009 11:20 am

Pam wrote:Ian, try Lonicera nitida - box honeysuckle.

Thanks Pam , yes it is a Lonicera nitida - Box Leaf honeysuckle .Cheers
alpinebonsart
Curator

Postby alpinebonsart » Sun Jan 11, 2009 8:37 am

Undergrounder wrote:Hey Alpine that top one is kind of what i was thinking...

Hi Undergrouder this is a good start as you can see simply inspiration from others works .Aerial layering takes time i would prefer to use the materials i have so the Bonsai trainer is ready for its new home ASAP. Weight must be less than 20kgm packaged and a maximum os 600 x 600mm in size otherwise Aussie post wont deliver and couriers are very expensive , up to $300 to Sydney from here
100_2253.jpg
A good start to your idea
alpinebonsart
Curator

Postby Undergrounder » Sun Jan 11, 2009 9:16 pm

It looks good alpine, anyone else got any ideas? As much as i think that could be a really fantastic bonsai, not sure i'll be able to look after it myself. But i'm happy to throw ideas at it for you..

I REALLY like the slope, but i'm not sure if it uses the slope as much as it could. Also as much as the shape of the tree is nice, it looks a little wierd with all those 'trunks', not really representative of something in nature that i can picture. So you think the smallest you could split it is into three? Or do you think you could make it work as something with all those trunks?

I also like the dirt... some of those trunks would look good standing on the edge of a small dirt cliff, with the roots exposed and hanging down a little like they are now. You could use a bit of moss, selaginella, bonsai orchids etc. and create a bit of an old, gnarled, ancient forest type of look with a bit of landscaping...
Undergrounder
Head Gardener

Postby Undergrounder » Sun Jan 11, 2009 9:20 pm

or even... Ewok village!

Undergrounder
Head Gardener

Postby alpinebonsart » Mon Jan 12, 2009 7:19 am

Undergrounder wrote:It looks good alpine, anyone else got any ideas? As much as i think that could be a really fantastic bonsai, not sure i'll be able to look after it myself. But i'm happy to throw ideas at it for you..

I REALLY like the slope, but i'm not sure if it uses the slope as much as it could. Also as much as the shape of the tree is nice, it looks a little wierd with all those 'trunks', not really representative of something in nature that i can picture. So you think the smallest you could split it is into three? Or do you think you could make it work as something with all those trunks?

I also like the dirt... some of those trunks would look good standing on the edge of a small dirt cliff, with the roots exposed and hanging down a little like they are now. You could use a bit of moss, selaginella, bonsai orchids etc. and create a bit of an old, gnarled, ancient forest type of look with a bit of landscaping...

`Hi Undergrounder 3 rocks and a clump of Honeysuckle doesn't make a bonsai starter and yes someone has to look after it . Looks like your in for the running. I will split the clump and do another possible design . Now these are dummies designs , only to inspire designs of different ideas. You have to look beyond the initial clump ,eg your drawing has spread the trees up the slope

You inspired me by simply showing those pics , personally i liked the cliff dwellers they represent the foliage better , and yes i would split it as much as possible after all its like a noxious weed it it grew where i dropped it , unplanted and rarely watered .Use of the foliage to create the asthetics is the starting point . Each tree or group need foliage pads or clouds to shape then build down the trunks utilizing the new shoots . It may take several years to fill out however it must be pleasing to the eye even as a starter/trainer
alpinebonsart
Curator

Postby alpinebonsart » Mon Jan 12, 2009 8:02 am

Undergrounder wrote:or even... Ewok village!

Crikey now thats breaking the rules , i'
100_2295.jpg
Rocks with small trees creates hills or mountains , with large trees creates completely different scene ,rocky outcrop or plateau
100_2293.jpg
look beyond to see a canopy . Cloud , cone or foliage pads
ll build the landscape if you want to build the village . Cheers
alpinebonsart
Curator

Postby taffyman » Mon Jan 12, 2009 8:38 pm

I have to say it - I really don't believe this. All you budding Bonsai enthusiasts and nobody else has wanted to have an input :shock:

AlpineBonsart has given you the opportunity to have an input and possibly own something he's prepared to create and start off for you, and only one member has actually had an input. You all have creativite abilities so I'm sure you'd all have some ideas on what you'd like to do with it.

Ab was really enthusiastic about doing this and asked me what I thought about it. I thought it was a great idea and to give you all a good chance of owning it, I said I wouldn't offer any suggestions and also asked Ab to ask Imoneto to keep quiet as well.

I must say, I am very surprised.
Taffy
taffyman
Garden Wizard

Postby alpinebonsart » Mon Jan 12, 2009 9:12 pm

taffyman wrote:I have to say it - I really don't believe this. All you budding Bonsai enthusiasts and nobody else has wanted to have an input :shock:

AlpineBonsart has given you the opportunity to have an input and possibly own something he's prepared to create and start off for you, and only one member has actually had an input. You all have creativite abilities so I'm sure you'd all have some ideas on what you'd like to do with it.

Ab was really enthusiastic about doing this and asked me what I thought about it. I thought it was a great idea and to give you all a good chance of owning it, I said I wouldn't offer any suggestions and also asked Ab to ask Imoneto to keep quiet as well.

I must say, I am very surprised.

Hi taffyman , Your surprised , i'm dumbstruck . Take a gander at some serious inspiration i recieved from an artist with twice as much time up as me and 5 times more inspiration than what i have . Bloody good free inspiration i had the motivation through his drawing
100_2311.jpg
`2 ` Hours after motivation , Yes the wire is rough but it will hold the trunk and undercut 'till they heal . For more info go to my blog
100_2305.jpg
Collected "Yamadori' Pine before inspiration
alpinebonsart
Curator

Next

Return to Bonsai