DESIGN HELP NEEDED INSPIRATION REQUIRED

A forum dedicated to bonsai, the art of growing dwarfed, ornamentally shaped trees or shrubs in small shallow containers.

Moderators: Forum_mod, Pam, taffyman, DrDuncs

Re: DESIGN HELP NEEDED INSPIRATION REQUIRED

Postby Undergrounder » Mon Jan 12, 2009 11:38 pm

I'm afraid being a newbie i don't -see- potential that well because im unfamiliar with the techniques that are possible.. i just imagine little trees and scenes, but there's alot more possible than i can imagine.

I'm sure the more ideas that get put up, the more people might suddenly see something :shock: It's not easy to imagine what a bush will turn into, and you doing the different little scenes is really helping.

I just did this doodle, turning what you just did into more of a 'mound'..

What would you do taffyman?
Undergrounder
Head Gardener

Postby taffyman » Tue Jan 13, 2009 8:44 pm

God I hate Imageshack! :evil: Sorry UG, it's those damned poker pop-ups (and I do use a pop-up blocker) and the invasive nature of Imageshack. It takes over your web page and refuses to let you get back to your original site. I had to shut the window and re-open IE to get back here (should have right clicked on your photo and selected 'open in new tab').

Mate I said I wouldn't post suggestions so I'll keep my word. I will say though that you're going along just great. I like your suggestion, and putting the photo of the Ewok village up gave Alpinebonsart some inspiration to come up with a design. Your modification of his idea has brought the idea a bit further (Y)
Taffy
Have fun, life is way too short for anything else
taffyman
Garden Wizard

Postby Undergrounder » Wed Jan 14, 2009 12:06 am

LOL i'm sorry taffy i have my own personal army of popup blockers so for me imageshack works nice and clean apart from i think one... i didn't realise it was so invasive (and i do hate the ads) so i'll start using a better image hoster.

I'd just be interested if anyone can think of anything -other- than a small mixed planting, im sure there must be other ways to do it.
Undergrounder
Head Gardener

Postby Pam » Wed Jan 14, 2009 5:16 am

Totally off-topic sorry, Ian, but Taffy, if you're getting pop-ups you're not doing it right. Something I have learned with regard to pop ups is if you don't have the cookies, you don't get the pop ups - too easy!
Pam
Garden Wizard

Postby alpinebonsart » Wed Jan 14, 2009 7:48 am

Undergrounder wrote:I'm afraid being a newbie i don't -see- potential that well because im unfamiliar with the techniques that are possible.. i just imagine little trees and scenes, but there's alot more possible than i can imagine.

I'm sure the more ideas that get put up, the more people might suddenly see something :shock: It's not easy to imagine what a bush will turn into, and you doing the different little scenes is really helping.

I just did this doodle, turning what you just did into more of a 'mound'..

What would you do taffyman?

Hi Undergrounder , I'm only an amatuer myself i spend more time looking at nature than replicating it . Analize will parallize , utilize will surprise . Some food for thought . With no ideas to start with your input has me motivated to try anything . Here are some more useful mediums . Big Bonsai require big trunks , remember i chop and hack . No rules Only styles
100_2316.jpg
Rocks , Slabs and bits of wood . i'm sure if i went for a walk i could find some more
Picture of bonsai 2.jpg
Utilizing the trunk in the foreground 2 different styles
alpinebonsart
Curator

Postby alpinebonsart » Thu Jan 15, 2009 4:49 am

Hi Undergrounder i guess its up to you . Your input was great , now you choose a design . Use your original idea or any other and we will see with a touch of insight what we can produce . The honeysuckle endured 42.5 degree temps yesterday and is looking a little bit sad . The challenge is on .Cheers
alpinebonsart
Curator

Postby Undergrounder » Thu Jan 15, 2009 5:54 pm

Do you like the slanted one, the ewok village one or the mound one?
Undergrounder
Head Gardener

Postby alpinebonsart » Thu Jan 15, 2009 7:49 pm

Undergrounder wrote:Do you like the slanted one, the ewok village one or the mound one?

I like the slanting one , if conifers were used it would look much better . The mound is good however the mound overpowers the trees , can you use the original photo and shrink the trees leaving a tall one in the centre and reducing the outer ones, maybe change the canopies to conical or shape like clouds and if possible lower the rocks to a more flatter looking to represent a distant grove . Not sure what that program you used is capable of , but give it a shot.Cheers
alpinebonsart
Curator

Postby alpinebonsart » Sat Jan 17, 2009 7:39 am

Undergrounder wrote:Do you like the slanted one, the ewok village one or the mound one?

Hi Undergrounder , bad news all but 1 tree has surrended to the extreme heat . I will go hunting today at the nurseries to see if i can replace them . They may recover/reshoot i don't know but it will take time , something i haven't got .If i cant find a replacment we will have to use different plants to create something along the same lines .
alpinebonsart
Curator

Postby Undergrounder » Sat Jan 17, 2009 8:00 am

That's too bad alpine, i had no idea it was so hot down south :( Don't worry about the replacement, seriously, but good on you for the opportunity and it was fun thinking about. I said i only have the time to manage one or two bonsai at the moment so i wouldn't have been able to look after it long-term anyway. I hope the rest of your collection didn't fare so bad :(
Undergrounder
Head Gardener

Postby alpinebonsart » Sat Jan 17, 2009 8:36 am

Undergrounder wrote:That's too bad alpine, i had no idea it was so hot down south :( Don't worry about the replacement, seriously, but good on you for the opportunity and it was fun thinking about. I said i only have the time to manage one or two bonsai at the moment so i wouldn't have been able to look after it long-term anyway. I hope the rest of your collection didn't fare so bad :(

Hi Undergrounder i'm inspired by your enthusiasm ,thats how i started then it turned into a compulsion , now its an obsession . A healthy obsession that i hope i can continue to do after the surgeons do their thing , hope they dont take my approach "Hack and chop"to the operating table . I will complete the landscape ASAP as now i have some good ideas from you , i'm inspired even more to continue . Thanks for all your input and Happy Bonsai . Cheers Ian
alpinebonsart
Curator

Postby alpinebonsart » Sat Jan 17, 2009 10:21 am

Undergrounder wrote:That's too bad alpine, i had no idea it was so hot down south :( Don't worry about the replacement, seriously, but good on you for the opportunity and it was fun thinking about. I said i only have the time to manage one or two bonsai at the moment so i wouldn't have been able to look after it long-term anyway. I hope the rest of your collection didn't fare so bad :(

Hi Undergrounder this is typical of the heat my bonsai have to tolerate -5 to 45 degree's even snow in December ON A 35 DEGREE DAY I WAS SHOCKED TO THINK IT COULD HAPPEN. There was enough snow to build a snowman for my Niece . This is 1 casualty from the temps on Tuesday a 20 year old cascade Juniper Sqamata 1500mm in length, the Procumbens is 1800mm and has endured the heat far better . I recall the temps 3 years ago hitting mid 40's for 8 days , i lost 80+ Bonsai in a week some as old as 45 years. Most of my garden was devastated as well . It happens even to the best of us .Cheers
100_2331.jpg
2 Junipers from standard nursery stock 15 years in training estimated at 20 plus years old , they were 300mm high when purchased . Pots are 600mm heavy glaced terracotta as Bonsai cascade pots wont stand up due to the size and weight of the cascades
alpinebonsart
Curator

Postby alpinebonsart » Sat Jan 24, 2009 6:16 am

alpinebonsart wrote:

Hi Undergrounder is this close enough to your design .the trees will need to settle and then be trimmed into shape .All up 30 minutes to make the Cantilever slab , 1 hour to wire the branches of the juniper and 4 hours to complete your design . I used what i had as the Honeysucle died along with quite a few plants and 2 big cascades .Juniper Sabina raft style on a Cantilever Slab finished . There are 19 trees in this group i may remove some depending on how they settle down . Once again Thankyou for your input and inspiration its been i challenge i have enjoyed and armed with a new sense of motivation . Cheers
Attachments
100_2383.jpg
REAR
100_2382.jpg
FRONT
alpinebonsart
Curator

Postby guzzigirl » Sat Jan 24, 2009 8:19 am

alpinebonsart wrote:All up 30 minutes to make the Cantilever slab , 1 hour to wire the branches of the juniper and 4 hours to complete your design ...Juniper Sabina raft style on a Cantilever Slab finished . There are 19 trees in this group i may remove some depending on how they settle down . Once again Thankyou for your input and inspiration its been i challenge i have enjoyed and armed with a new sense of motivation . Cheers

Wow! There is no way I could make something like that in just 5 1/2 hours! Am I understanding correctly that your grouping is in fact one plant? Rafting style means the trunk lying along the ground, with side branches composing the group effect, am I right?
“Although you’ll find our house a mess, come in, sit down, converse…
It doesn’t always look like this! Sometimes it’s even worse!”
guzzigirl
Garden Wizard

Postby alpinebonsart » Sat Jan 24, 2009 8:43 am

guzzigirl wrote:
alpinebonsart wrote:All up 30 minutes to make the Cantilever slab , 1 hour to wire the branches of the juniper and 4 hours to complete your design ...Juniper Sabina raft style on a Cantilever Slab finished . There are 19 trees in this group i may remove some depending on how they settle down . Once again Thankyou for your input and inspiration its been i challenge i have enjoyed and armed with a new sense of motivation . Cheers

Wow! There is no way I could make something like that in just 5 1/2 hours! Am I understanding correctly that your grouping is in fact one plant? Rafting style means the trunk lying along the ground, with side branches composing the group effect, am I right?

Thats correct Guzzigirl i will be explaining i detail how it was achieved but the difficulty with the site is limiting my patience and upload capability. I will add it to my blog in a 2 part "How to" .Until i can upload in a reasonable time , not 2.5 hours and fail numerous attemps i wont be keen to waste my efforts .Cheers
alpinebonsart
Curator

Postby Pam » Sat Jan 24, 2009 8:54 am

Ian, these things are meant to try us! :lol: Looking good.
Pam
Garden Wizard

Postby alpinebonsart » Sat Jan 24, 2009 12:06 pm

Pam wrote:Ian, these things are meant to try us! :lol: Looking good.

Yes Pam , but for a pro site it has little issues that the pros should be able to iron out before they run a program . Sorry no patience with Computers {boat anchors} if they dont run programs designed by experts , how are us amatuers supposed to sort it out .
alpinebonsart
Curator

Postby Undergrounder » Sat Jan 24, 2009 6:13 pm

My design? LOL you mean the bonsai master Masahiro Kimura's design? Well yes it looks great! I think i can see the 'branch' buried there that you used for the raft design? I think it will look fantastic when it's grown up a little, and you can shape the trees to give the illusion of small ones being further away etc.

Do you want some of my bonsai orchids? They'd look great in patches amongst the moss, like mini little ferns. They flower, they don't get any bigger than 6mm (bulb) and 2cm (leaf). If you can keep moss alive, these like the same conditions.

Undergrounder
Head Gardener

Postby alpinebonsart » Sat Jan 24, 2009 6:55 pm

Hi undergrounder , take a bit of credit i didn't think along these lines , if not for your input it wouldn't have happened . Black Jack Frost would love your mini orchids he kills figs in one night so i dont think they would last down here , but i will consider your kind offer who knows i may make an indoor winter project that would protect them .I have placed a "how to" for your design and inspiration recieved , it shows the raft before completion . Park up a pic of a plant along with some orchids a rock or two and a bit of wood and keep on inspiring and motivating all of us .Cheers and Many Thanks
alpinebonsart
Curator

Previous

Return to Bonsai