Some interesting information

A forum dedicated to bonsai, the art of growing dwarfed, ornamentally shaped trees or shrubs in small shallow containers.

Moderators: Forum_mod, Pam, taffyman, DrDuncs

Some interesting information

Postby lmrk » Sun Jan 25, 2009 5:43 pm

This is more for those who live in Melbourne and relates more to figs.

Had confirmation of what Eric said a while ago - nurseries in Melbourne don't keep figs any more as they just don't do well in Melbourne.

How to grow those elusive aerial fig roots that we just can seem to grow in Melbourne. Apparently you create a "tent" over the trunk with gladwrap and at this time of the year, aerial roots will start growing really quickly. So thought I would give it a go.

This is the "victim":

I think this is what he meant:

Will keep you posted as to how things work out.
Last edited by lmrk on Sun Feb 15, 2009 10:27 am, edited 1 time in total.
Does a watched bonsai ever grow?
lmrk
Curator

Re: Some interesting information

Postby imonetwo » Sun Jan 25, 2009 10:39 pm

Hello Imrk

Hes right, they will grow aerial roots if the pot and lower trunk is covered in gladwrap,however dont put the wrap too high as any aerial roots developing above ground level with wither and die once you remove the wrap, as except for several months,we dont have high enough humidity to sustain them.

It is a great technique for creating nebari,or radial roots at the base of the trunk.

Dolomite is a great product but if you are like me and repot ever year then its wasted.

After growing several varieties of fig, my conclusion is that the reason why most Vic nurseries only have the 2 main ones is the growth is too rampant and not in tune with commercial aspirations :)

Regards
Eric
imonetwo
Head Gardener

Postby lmrk » Wed Jan 28, 2009 10:33 am

Thanks Eric! :D I've moved the gladwrap further down the trunk. With regards to watering, do I need to water the fig whilst the cling wrap is covering the pot? There is a lot of condensation under the gladwrap, but scared that if I open it to water, the aerial root experiment will fail. I've been misting the foliage.

Also, should I do another defoliation (last one was October) and if so, should I do it now or next month?

Cheers
Leah
Does a watched bonsai ever grow?
lmrk
Curator

Postby imonetwo » Wed Jan 28, 2009 12:14 pm

The condensation will keep the roots moist for a week or so, provided the plant isnt in the sun, if you are worried use a syringe and water it a little through the gladwrap, and yes I would defoliate now, I have been defoliating since Xmas as most of my smaller figs that I started earlier in the year have needed it.It would have been nice if they had all required it at the same time :)
I cut off all leaves that have matured and start to look ratty no matter what the season and no matter what the species.

Dont forget to pinch back the growing shoots after defoliation as that will induce more shoots lower on your branches and trunk.

Regards
Eric
imonetwo
Head Gardener

Postby Undergrounder » Thu Jan 29, 2009 4:36 am

Hi Leah i really like the tent idea, who needs humidity when you have glad-wrap? I hope your bonsai survive the Melbourne temps i've been hearing about :(
Undergrounder
Head Gardener

Return to Bonsai