Choisya Ternata

A forum dedicated to bonsai, the art of growing dwarfed, ornamentally shaped trees or shrubs in small shallow containers.

Moderators: Forum_mod, Pam, taffyman, DrDuncs

Choisya Ternata

Postby Tini » Sat Mar 07, 2009 5:47 pm

I have a few choisya ternata bushes that need to come out, they are 3 or 4 years old is it possible to bonsai these?
Tini
Curator

Re: Choisya Ternata

Postby taffyman » Sat Mar 07, 2009 8:19 pm

I'd never heard of Choisya Ternata Tini, but going on what I've found after doing a google search they do appear to be good candidates for turning into Bonsai. There's a link at the bottom that gives a lot of good information on this particular shrub. Bear in mind the dates are northern hemisphere - add six months for Aust.

I would have said that it's a bit late in the year to dig them up but if you need to remove them now then I'd cut up to half the foliage off and take them out with as much of the root system as possible then transplant them into styrene vegie boxes with fresh potting mix. Give them a good watering with some seasol (to help reduce shock) and keep them in semi shade for a few weeks if possible.

They must be a pretty hardy shrub considering that link says they can be cut back to ground level and they'll re-shoot.
As a Bonsai they'd look magnificent when covered in flowers (Y)

http://www.gardenaction.co.uk/plantfinder/choisya-ternata_2.asp
Taffy
Have fun, life is way too short for anything else
taffyman
Garden Wizard

Re: Choisya Ternata

Postby Tini » Sun Mar 08, 2009 6:59 am

Thanks Taffyman, there are a few of them so I might try one and see how I go. They don't have to be taken out right now, so when do you recomend the best time would be?
Tini
Curator

Return to Bonsai