New to Bonsia - E.yarrensis seedlings

A forum dedicated to bonsai, the art of growing dwarfed, ornamentally shaped trees or shrubs in small shallow containers.

Moderators: Forum_mod, Pam, taffyman, DrDuncs

New to Bonsia - E.yarrensis seedlings

Postby tannas » Wed Apr 01, 2009 2:47 pm

Hi there,
a teacher from my hort course recommended using Eucalyptus yarrensis for bonsai, we grew numerous seedlings of this plant from some seed stock found in the fridge at the TAFE, will the eucy be ok as a bonsai?
I have a round bonsai pot that is 20cm in width, with two seedlings in it. they have a few branches on them and are about 10cm tall. I havnt trained them yet with wire or anything... not sure what to do first with this, can any wire be used, and does i have to be thinner than the plant branches etc or thicker? :roll:
tannas
Head Gardener

Re: New to Bonsia - E.yarrensis seedlings

Postby taffyman » Sat Apr 04, 2009 9:36 pm

Hi Tannas, welcome to the forum.
Some forms of Eucalyptus can be used for Bonsai, but most are very sensitive about having their roots pruned. If they're grown from a seed then there's a high possibility it would be ok in a bonsai pot - and your pot sounds suitable for the size of the seedling (it will 'grow' into the pot).

As long as the branches are still pliable, wiring them should be ok. Yes, the wire does need to be thinner because when you apply the wire, you stand a very high chance of snapping the branch.

I don't think I'd be attempting to re-pot them now - it's too close to winter. It would be better to wait till early spring when the new growth is emerging.

I'd encourage you to have a go with the Euc, somewhere among the posts here there is a photo of a Euc at an exhibition and it looks great.
Taffy
Have fun, life is way too short for anything else
taffyman
Garden Wizard

Postby tannas » Tue Apr 14, 2009 1:08 pm

thanks Taffy, i have put some wire on the branches to shape it up, the branches are very pliable still!
Feel chuffed growing an endangered species as a bonsia !
Last edited by tannas on Tue Apr 14, 2009 1:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
tannas
Head Gardener

Postby jayendra » Tue Apr 14, 2009 1:11 pm

my friends dad has been doing bonsai in aus for 30 years - he owns a place in hawthorn. We used to tie knots in trees when we were young - they look funny now.
The vege garden is like having a second family.
jayendra
Curator

Postby tannas » Tue Apr 14, 2009 1:14 pm

knots eh? would that eventually mean the branch would die eventually ? :shock:
tannas
Head Gardener

Return to Bonsai