Trident Maple - Sumo/Raft/Broom - Update

A forum dedicated to bonsai, the art of growing dwarfed, ornamentally shaped trees or shrubs in small shallow containers.

Moderators: Forum_mod, Pam, taffyman, DrDuncs

Trident Maple - Sumo/Raft/Broom - Update

Postby alpinebonsart » Wed Apr 08, 2009 3:17 pm

Hi to all who hold bonsai in their midst, this is a quick update on the progress of my Trident . I know its been a while but i've been told to "put up and shut up". So i will endevour to be brief . I layered both air and ground on this trident referred to in a previous topic to produce 3 seperate styles of Maple Bonsai . Originally a Broom style i have air layered a Broom from the central leader , a raft from the outer 2 leaders and left with an impressive sumo trunk . I also ground layered a new root system for the Sumo to improve the overall appearence .

With a large rootball approx' the size of a basket ball i decided to chop the top off for the start of the 3 tree transformation . Using a handsaw i cut through the main trunk to seperate the top from the trunk . The Instant Sumo trunk was repotted into a smaller pot and trimmed/shaped to my liking . With the top removed i then cut the central leader out to produce an instant Broom style Trident and potted up into a shallow oval pot . The remainder was used for the Raft style group having made use of 11 branches to produce an instant Raft with 1 main tree and 10 smaller trees to be styled .
100_2778.jpg
A Sumo style in the making
100_2782.jpg
The complete top removed prior to removal of the central leader for the Broom and Raft styles .
Attachments
100_2783.jpg
Cetral leader removed leaving the Raft to be potted and wired
Last edited by alpinebonsart on Wed Apr 08, 2009 4:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
alpinebonsart
Curator

Re: Trident Maple - Sumo/Raft/Broom - Update

Postby alpinebonsart » Wed Apr 08, 2009 3:47 pm

100_2790.jpg
Instant Broom style potted with a nice buttress 45mm trunk
These are the pics of the Broom and Raft after potting and trimming .The Raft have been wired using the Hook and Hold Method for its ease and effectiveness with Tridents .Only 1 casualty when the Raft fell over snapping a lower branch from the main trunk,a small sacrifice for such a good result
100_2786.jpg
Broom style prior to potting
100_2785.jpg
The Raft prior to potting , the roots in the darker area will be removed to expose the raft after winter
alpinebonsart
Curator

Re: Trident Maple - Sumo/Raft/Broom - Update

Postby alpinebonsart » Wed Apr 08, 2009 4:02 pm

100_2792.jpg
Trimmed and Wired using the Hook and Hold method of wiring . This is much easier then the conventional method and it doesn't have to be removed over winter as the marking of the trunks does not occur . Messy and unsightly as it is it is very , very effective . No branches were damaged during the wiring process
100_2788.jpg
Potted up ready for trimming and wiring
alpinebonsart
Curator

Return to Bonsai