Trunk line

A forum dedicated to bonsai, the art of growing dwarfed, ornamentally shaped trees or shrubs in small shallow containers.

Moderators: Forum_mod, Pam, taffyman, DrDuncs

Trunk line

Postby gooba » Sun Apr 12, 2009 9:38 am

Hi am a new member to the forum , been into bonsai for about 17 odd years and a member of the sunshine coast society . I have some issues with a collected fig (600mm W x 1200mm H), right or left leader? have a look at the pic attached , am thinking left but not sure, see what u think.
And also gday rocket!!
Attachments
12042009344.jpg
gooba
Cultivator

Re: Trunk line

Postby alpinebonsart » Sun Apr 12, 2009 11:31 am

Hi Gooba , welcome to G.E . I would have to agree with the left , it has good movement and a nice taper . More pic would help and the prefered front you desire .Digital cameras arn't perfect and some happy snappers like me are shockers . Cheers alpinebonsart
alpinebonsart
Curator

Postby rocket » Tue Apr 14, 2009 5:47 pm

Hey Gooba

Welcome to the forum. I hope you become a regular "poster", something I should do more often. Good to see you getting some feedback on your trees. To me, it looks like a good option would be keeping both trunk lines, removing some of the heavier roots, tipping the tree to the left and turning it into a semi-cascade. A second option would be to keep the left trunk like you say, but I would like to cut some of those heavier roots right back and plant it deeper. If I did that I would remove aerial roots on the LHS to develop a better trunk line. I also would like to see more pics from different angles. Think this could develop into a very good tree.

Cheers
Rocket
rocket
Pruner

Postby gooba » Tue Apr 14, 2009 6:15 pm

Hey rocket , good to here from you mate!! Well....... its to late maybe just cut the trunk on the left hand side off and semi styled it into more of an S shape never mind , the roots at the front are big!! Might be a mission to get it onto its side , but can see what you mean would look good as a semi-cascade. will send some more pics . Also scored another big fig of dad today has great base but still only a stump. He is having a bit of a fire sale hes sick of them.
gooba
Cultivator

Return to Bonsai