General Autumn/Winter Care

A forum dedicated to bonsai, the art of growing dwarfed, ornamentally shaped trees or shrubs in small shallow containers.

Moderators: Forum_mod, Pam, taffyman, DrDuncs

General Autumn/Winter Care

Postby guzzigirl » Sun Apr 12, 2009 10:14 am

Hello Bonsai Gurus.

Having lost most of my little trees during Melbourne's shocker of a heat wave (I was interstate at the time so there was not much I could do at the time,) I was wondering if there were some general care I could do at this time for the remaining ones, like repotting, feeding, etc. Or should I be waiting for Spring? Some I think could do with repotting but I was not sure if now was a good time to do it.
“Although you’ll find our house a mess, come in, sit down, converse…
It doesn’t always look like this! Sometimes it’s even worse!”
guzzigirl
Garden Wizard

Re: General Autumn/Winter Care

Postby Luzy » Sun Apr 12, 2009 11:07 am

Thanks for asking that question, guzzi. Bummer about your losses, though. :(
Luzy
Garden Wizard

Re: General Autumn/Winter Care

Postby alpinebonsart » Sun Apr 12, 2009 11:49 am

Hi Guzzigirl not a happy camper either, the extreme heat up here reduced my entire collection by 60% . I lost well over 250 plants , trainers and Bonsai some up to 40 years old . It happens to the best of us , i plunged mine into power feed concentrate deluted by 50% on recomended dose and made a new shade house using 50%green shade cloth to cover them . As for repotting now , i have done exactly that after soaking them in the solution . However i did not disturb the root systems at all , just freshened up the outer soil . Avoid over watering as the root are definately damaged .Hope this helps .Cheers alpine P.S I now have plenty of pots to fill over winter
alpinebonsart
Curator

Return to Bonsai