Digging out and cutting back

A forum dedicated to bonsai, the art of growing dwarfed, ornamentally shaped trees or shrubs in small shallow containers.

Moderators: Forum_mod, Pam, taffyman, DrDuncs

Digging out and cutting back

Postby gooba » Sun Apr 26, 2009 7:16 am

Hey bonsai lovers, just a quick question, I have some trident maples in the ground (12ft tall, 4-5inch trunks) . I am getting impatient =p~ and want to dig them out and cut them back hard. They all haven't started to so signs of slowing for winter (Sunshine Coast Qld). Can do???? (Y)
gooba
Cultivator

Re: Digging out and cutting back

Postby alpinebonsart » Sun Apr 26, 2009 9:11 am

Hi Gooba , Tridents to me are like noxious weeds however dig at the wrong time and they will shock and go wheels up as a weed will . I have dug 2m high trees out , in leaf and have lost them because they have a large root run but very little fiberous root around the trunk . My suggestion would be to cut the main roots and trim the top/and or layer the top off in early Spring for more stock .Ground layer a new radial root ball at the base while it is in the ground . Treat the ground position as a training pot and style the tree in the ground , when you dig the tree is pre-styled , place it into a container and your well on the way to a good Bonsai .If the tree is 2m high another 6-9 months in the ground to do all the neccesary improvements will pay bigger dividends than risking a move on impulse. I like Tridents and have KILLED many collecting on "impulse" out of "stupidity' .Cheers alpine
alpinebonsart
Curator

Postby gooba » Thu Apr 30, 2009 2:53 pm

Impatience is my virtue =p~ , dug one of the tridents out yesterday. It was the ugly duckling out of all three. Will keep you posted on its recovery.
gooba
Cultivator

Postby alpinebonsart » Thu Apr 30, 2009 7:36 pm

Hope you took some pics , loose a few hundred trees and you will learn patience and tolerance with all things including the weather . Good luck . alpine
alpinebonsart
Curator

Postby gooba » Fri May 01, 2009 8:32 am

Have practiced bonsai for well over 15 years and lost my fare share , am confident on success with the trident it has plenty of fibrous roots. (Y)
gooba
Cultivator

Postby alpinebonsart » Fri May 01, 2009 5:27 pm

Different climate than down south , the extremes here don't afford good root mass on many trees grown in the ground unless root pruning of some kind takes place during the growth period. Would like to see some pics as i have been informed Maples dont do well up North because they need a cold winters to set the new growth .. I'm no expert on horticulture or Bonsai just having fun with what was a hobby , turned into a healthy obsession . Do all Maples grow up north or just a selected few . Still learning .Cheers alpine
alpinebonsart
Curator

Postby taffyman » Fri May 01, 2009 7:50 pm

alpinebonsart wrote:Do all Maples grow up north or just a selected few . Still learning .Cheers alpine

I think most Maples will grow up here where I am Alpine. I have two Trident Maples and they're quite happy in Bonsai pots. The only thing they don't do is to give the nice red/orange leaves that others get in colder climates in Autumn. I might get one or two yellow ones but the rest just curl up on the edges, dry out and drop off. They would certainly be happier in the ground as their roots wouldn't get so warm. I don't know about where Gooba is, but up where I am, the temp doesn't drop below zero - 4 deg is the coolest since we got here nearly six years ago, and that's a rare occurrence. Funnily enough, other parts of Maryborough do get frosts in the winter - especially near the river, but not here. Perhaps because we're on the top of a rise.
Taffy
Have fun, life is way too short for anything else
taffyman
Garden Wizard

Postby alpinebonsart » Fri May 01, 2009 10:50 pm

Hi taffyman thanks for the info . The frosts have just started down here , only light -1 Degree at my place and like you i live on a hill which backs onto a state forest and a pine plantation . So the frost is not as savage as the rest of the town which freezes with -4 degrees . My deciduous bonsai have not yet changed their leaf colour from green , yet the trees in the lower part of town and surrounding areas are dropping leaves . Its amazing the difference 100m above the river flats has on trees .Cheers alpine
alpinebonsart
Curator

Postby gooba » Sat May 02, 2009 6:04 am

Alpine, the trident seem to do well and so do both the chinese and american liquidambers, but dont have much success with japanese maples , they grow... but mostly look very poorly ie: yellow with dry curled up edges.I live in Kuluin which is only 5-6 Km away from the beach on a bit of a rise, Its strange there are some large japanese maples growing quite happily as street trees only several Km away from me in Buderim which is higher up again, just that slight drop in temp is enough to sustain them and they also colour up in late autumn. It makes me jealous. :mrgreen:
gooba
Cultivator

Postby alpinebonsart » Sat May 02, 2009 7:54 am

Hi gooba , thanks for you info ,it is amazing the difference 100m higher in the same Town makes to a tree . In my opinion the extreme summer of this year has altered or confused Mother Nature as some of my tree are bud bursting now ,e.g Chinese Elms , ash ,sweet gum and Maples . Yesterday i tip pruned my chop top Maples as they have thrown another new grow spurt and are still in full green colour , they should have full Autumn colour and beginning to drop the leaves . In 30 plus years of playing Happy Gardeners i have notice an incredible change in the seasons , must be CLIMATE CHANGE .These things are set to try us . Cheers Alpine
alpinebonsart
Curator

Return to Bonsai