Accolades well deserved.

A forum dedicated to bonsai, the art of growing dwarfed, ornamentally shaped trees or shrubs in small shallow containers.

Moderators: Forum_mod, Pam, taffyman, DrDuncs

Accolades well deserved.

Postby taffyman » Mon May 25, 2009 7:19 pm

Rod entered his Clero (http://www.gardenexpress.com.au/forum/viewtopic.php?f=21&t=12471 about 1/2 way down page) in the AABC international Convention in Brisbane over the last weekend. His Clero achieved First place (Y) With his permission here is a photo I took of it:

Not content with that, he also achieved Best of Show from Bonsai Clubs International with the one below. It's a Chinese Elm - Root over Rock and Rod defoliated it just before the Convention. In that state, it shows to perfection the excellent ramification of the branches and twigs over the whole of the tree - the photos don't really do it justice. The second photo was taken at a different angle to see if I could get all the fine detail of the branches and twigs. There has been a tremendous amount of time and patience put into developing his tree to this standard and it really shows (I snuck these two photos in - he may not notice Image ).

Image Image

Gooba also achieved an Encouragement Award for his large fig - about 1/2 way down the page:

http://www.gardenexpress.com.au/forum/viewtopic.php?f=21&t=14390

I have a photo of it as it was displayed at the Convention, but I haven't obtained his permission to post it so for the moment you'll have to be satisfied with the ones he posted previously. It has also now been properly identified as Ficus Platypoda (commonly called Desert or Rock Fig). It comes from northern and central Australia and up into Indonesia.

So, congratulations to both of you. Recognition of your hard work and your accolades are very well deserved (Y) (Y)

Edit:
Thanks for permission to post your photo Gooba.

This really is a nice tree and again the photo doesn't really do it justice. The stand he has it on is particularly interesting as well. It's unique - I've never seen one like it before. It looks like old fence pickets with fencing wire running through them which give it an Aussie theme - well, the tree is an Australian one so they go well together (Y)

Taffy
Have fun, life is way too short for anything else
taffyman
Garden Wizard

Re: Accolades well deserved.

Postby Pam » Tue May 26, 2009 6:26 am

Well done to you both. They're fantastic trees.
Pam
Garden Wizard

Postby alpinebonsart » Tue May 26, 2009 8:06 am

Well done fella's . Keep posting ,inspiring and motivating .Again congratulations on your achievements .Cheers Alpine
alpinebonsart
Curator

Postby gooba » Tue May 26, 2009 5:25 pm

All good Taffy you have my full permission to post any photo of my bonsai (Y) thanks for your support on the weekend , I had a ball !! on another note I called two blacksmiths/farriers today in regards to the tree diggers, one declined because he only works on horse shoes???? The other wants some photos and measurements. I will talk to Rocket and see what he can get for us.
Talk soon
Gooba
gooba
Cultivator

Postby taffyman » Tue May 26, 2009 7:13 pm

Edited original post with Gooba's permission to post the photo of his tree.

Found a similar thing here Gooba. I found a "Blacksmith" at the Heritage Village in Hervey Bay. I asked at the office if he was a real Blacksmith and was told he did a two day course at TAFE so he could cater to the tourist trade.
Taffy
Have fun, life is way too short for anything else
taffyman
Garden Wizard

Postby rocket » Tue May 26, 2009 8:56 pm

Thanks for all the positive comments. It was certainly an honour to be recognised. We had a great weekend of bonsai, some very good trees and some interesting demonstrations. I found American demonstrator Bill very knowledgeable and happy to share his experience and ideas. He styled a very nice forest of elms which was later auctioned. Something we all found about being at the convention was getting together with old and new friends and sharing our passion for bonsai. I would recommend everyone attending if they have the opportunity, a very worthwhile weekend. Congratulations to the organisers, Bonsai Society of Queensland - a great job!

My only regret is that our friend Taffy did not display one of his trees . I'm sure next time he will be in there with one of his fantastic trees.

Hey Gooba, I also talked to a blacksmith today. He doesn't have a forge and hammer big enough to do the job but told me where I might be able to get onto someone if you blokes have no luck. Keep me posted.
rocket
Pruner

Postby Luzy » Wed May 27, 2009 4:13 pm

Congratulations, indeed! Wonderful trees that make a wonderful display. (Y)
Luzy
Garden Wizard

Return to Bonsai