Trident Maple Broom Update 2

A forum dedicated to bonsai, the art of growing dwarfed, ornamentally shaped trees or shrubs in small shallow containers.

Moderators: Forum_mod, Pam, taffyman, DrDuncs

Trident Maple Broom Update 2

Postby alpinebonsart » Wed Jun 03, 2009 8:20 pm

100_2981.jpg
Carved trunk to improve overall appearances and taper . Excellent radial root system .
This is a follow up to the transformation of the huge Trident Maple that i air layered the top off to produced 3 different style of Bonsai . With the tree dormant i decided to re pot and restyle , this is the end result . The top of the trunk was rather blunt to say the least , so with rotary die grinder and i carved and scalloped the center to produce a taper that would be more pleasing to the eye . The old branch knobs lower down the trunk were carved as well .
I then placed the Bonsai into a smaller white rectangle pot and spread the radial roots out around the pot and filled with a new blend of home made growing mix .Potted into the training pot the trunk was set very low having a trunk width of 45mm .With the tree raised up in the new pot the trunk base is 60mm in diameter and approximately 130mm to the base of the new fork . The taper has a major overall improvement thanks to the carving

With the tree in position and a new front decided on i wired the lower part of the branches using the conventional method as the length of the canopy will be reduced before the end of Winter . With the styling of the branches complete i then trimmed to an open airy Broom Style . This will allow the movement of the branches and trunk to be seen when in full leaf .
100_3001.jpg
I have decided on the new front
100_3002.jpg
Grown originally in the garden from seed as a landscape tree the trunk is over 10 years and the canopy was started as the original Huge maple bonsai 6+years ago . Difficult to age this tree , 12 years from seed , 6 years from canopy , can't say 6 months although that is how long it has taken to layer and style .
.Happy Bonsai .Cheers Alpine
alpinebonsart
Curator

Re: Trident Maple Broom Update 2

Postby alpinebonsart » Fri Jun 05, 2009 5:33 am

100_2978.jpg
Prior to carving of the taper into the center of the trunk
100_3003.jpg
The trunk showing the original soil level in training pot ,by raising the tree the increase is 20mm in thickness .
Attachments
100_2976.jpg
alpinebonsart
Curator

Postby taffyman » Fri Jun 05, 2009 3:51 pm

That's an excellent job Alpine (Y) Just the work of carving out the centre has transformed it into a nice looking tree and when the wounds heal over it'll be difficult to see there was any work done between those two branches.
What are you using to seal the wounds?
Taffy
Have fun, life is way too short for anything else
taffyman
Garden Wizard

Postby alpinebonsart » Fri Jun 05, 2009 6:05 pm

taffyman wrote:That's an excellent job Alpine (Y) Just the work of carving out the centre has transformed it into a nice looking tree and when the wounds heal over it'll be difficult to see there was any work done between those two branches.
What are you using to seal the wounds?

Hi Taffyman , Yes its a major improvement on the stub , never found the time to trim it when it was on the other tree . There is actually 4 branches thats why the carving was so extreme to give the impression that there is only 2 . I would have posted another pic but it takes me longer to upload and type than it does to train , trim and style .
The wound sealer is " Streri-Prune " paint" by Balchan International . Specifically designed for pruning and grafting . Active ingredients are ;
Base 486G/L Bitumen
Solvent 407G/L Hydrocarbon Liquid
Directions are paint on thick to seal , i however find this unsuccessful on bonsai because of the watering regeme ,i prefer to apply with a cotton bud massage into the wound and then wipe off until almost all access is removed using a clean bud .Leave a clean area at the edge of the bark as it will slow the formation of the callous . Like most sealers if applied to thick on bonsai it tends to hold moisture under the sealer from the stub/cut .
Re apply in 3-4 months or 6 months when the sealer turns grey as this indicates that the stub or wound has dried out . I have never had an issue with disease or rot . It works extremely well as directed for fruit trees and is made for the commercial growers hence "Paint on thick no need to reapply . A 250 ml tin has graced my tool kit for well over15 years and will still be there in another 15 .
Cheers Alpine
alpinebonsart
Curator

Return to Bonsai