Raft Style Trident update 2

A forum dedicated to bonsai, the art of growing dwarfed, ornamentally shaped trees or shrubs in small shallow containers.

Moderators: Forum_mod, Pam, taffyman, DrDuncs

Raft Style Trident update 2

Postby alpinebonsart » Thu Jun 04, 2009 6:31 am

This is the result of the layering of the big Trident Maple in December 98' . With so many projects completed and Yamadori collecting on the go , i have taken time out to do some training of the trees in my collection .
100_2984.jpg
My prefered method of wiring . Hook and Hold . Unsightly, Quick and very effective with little of no damage and very easily removed and adjusted
I have chosen a slab of Granite to display what i class as a Raft Style Forest . I removed the tree from the training pot and arranged the raft on the slab , using various pieces of smaller granite rocks i first built up the surrounding base to my liking . First impression is that the rocks overpower the forest , rest assured that by the time the Bonsai mix and moss is added the rocks will only add depth and and structure to an otherwise plain flat slab .
100_2988.jpg
Raft positioned and rocks placed to enhance the appearance of a small forest on a rocky outcrop
100_2990.jpg
With 11 trunks to work with i had a good choice of size and character of trunks and canopies .
alpinebonsart
Curator

Re: Raft Style Trident update 2

Postby alpinebonsart » Thu Jun 04, 2009 7:34 am

Happy with the setting i removed the rocks placing them in a position off the slab . Setting them adjacent to their position so they will be replaced correctly , as on numerous occasions i have tried to replicate a theme without success
100_2992.jpg
.I removed the Raft and combed the excess Spagnum Moss from the roots to ensure a good radial Narebri {root system} would be exposed in the future development . Where the central leader was removed i made sure that several good strong roots were placed over the cut to conceal the 60mm wound . I covered the slab with the chopped moss and potting mix from the training pot to a thickness of 15mm then covered that with a fresh new Bonsai blend to a thickness of 20mm.

Placing the Raft into position and settling the roots into a desirable place i covered the roots with a finer Bonsai mix of sharps . Using a chop stick/probe i gently pressed the mix around the roots .With the aid of a water spray jet i continually washed the fine sharps into the root mass as the Spagnum moss will decompose quite rapidly leaving the tree high and dry over the growing period .Happy with the fines around the roots i then added the rocks , positioning them in the original theme and covering the landscape with a new course blend of Bonsai mix

100_2994.jpg
Raft potted and landscaped . 6 of the 11 trunks were removed and potted up as trainers
Choosing to reduce the forest to 5 trunks was definately worth the sacrafice . I now have 6 more trainers to work with and an exciting new addition to my collection . I set about wiring using "Hook and hold" and "Spiral Wrap" however time ran out as did the daylight .With the addition of moss ,this new landscape can rest over Winter and at some point i will carve the blunt stubs , raft base and finish the wiring to a more appealing look .
100_2996.jpg
Almost finished further wiring and trimming will have to wait .

A good result from a little bit of inspiration and insight of another Bonsaist willing to share his knowledge and ideas with me .Cheers and happy Bonsai Alpine
alpinebonsart
Curator

Postby gooba » Fri Jun 05, 2009 12:04 pm

Whats a Yamadori :-? ?? mate.
gooba
Cultivator

Postby alpinebonsart » Fri Jun 05, 2009 2:31 pm

gooba wrote:Whats a Yamadori :-? ?? mate.

Hi gooba "Yamadori" refers to a tree collected from the wild , eg private property ,plantations etc . Urban 'Yamadori" refers to a tree collected from a suburban garden .In all cases permission is required by law preferably written permission however in most cases i contact the owners or landcarers , eg , Council , Plantation Corporations , leasee's and usually they give Verbal Permission . However i do request a contact name and number as usually there is someone going to make a mountain out of a molehill if they see you digging up a tree .Look out for the Greenies . Don't waste your time trying to get permission to dig in a National Park or a State Forest , they are off limits and the penalties are Savage and swift .Cheers . Alpine
alpinebonsart
Curator

Return to Bonsai