MONSTER MUGO "LETS HAVE SOME FUN"no input no looky

A forum dedicated to bonsai, the art of growing dwarfed, ornamentally shaped trees or shrubs in small shallow containers.

Moderators: Forum_mod, Pam, taffyman, DrDuncs

MONSTER MUGO "LETS HAVE SOME FUN"no input no looky

Postby alpinebonsart » Fri Jun 19, 2009 8:35 am

Ok Bonsai buddies, Come on board and toss your ideas into the ring "LETS CHOP THIS BIG MOTHER UP" .EVERYBODY MODS INCLUDED , If I may ask i believe Taffyman has a u-beaut computer enhancement program to show off "TREE" styles so if you have looked this far ,please i dont "BITE Grrrrrrrr" but at the end of the day {tree styled} i might just send you your very own Yamadori Mugo to "crash and bash" ,"chop and hack" or if you like style and train .If you ask me nicely i may give you a choice from 20 small Mugo's .Enough Bribes .2 condition apply , you must post input and participate with a drawing and follow up input {taffyman might just computer enhance it if you ask him nicely PLEASE,PLEASE PLEASE} You "HAVE TO" with photo's show on this site" YOUR " Mugo Tranformation" ."ENOUGH SAID" Deal done Alpinebonsart p.s more pic coming
Attachments
100_3351.jpg
CONSERVATIVELY ESTIMATED AGE 45 YEARS A 12MM BRANCH SLICE SHOWS 19 RING GROWTH
100_3349.jpg
GOOD FOLIAGE BUT LEGGY VERY POOR ROOTS
100_3345.jpg
HAMMER HEAD TRUNK
alpinebonsart
Curator

Re: MONSTER MUGO "LETS HAVE SOME FUN"no input no looky

Postby alpinebonsart » Fri Jun 19, 2009 8:57 am

100_3362.jpg
Now this is a builders drawing bends are extreme , Dimensions are accurate ,Trunk is 45mm with a hammer head of 55+mm only 3 main branches exist Bottom flat and long "Z SHAPED MID SECTION TO TALE" ,Back 90 degree bends and Top thin S shaped The wire is for securing the branches into their original as found position .Found growing and strangled in Blackberries this i believe is the reason the extreme sharp bends are present . The Deer obviously trampled and damaged the roots .
100_3353.jpg
Radical bends wired for safety only
100_3352.jpg
EXTREMELY TWISTED
ask for more pics by all means and double click on the pic will enlarge . Sorry i'm still an amatuer photo bloke Cheers
alpinebonsart
Curator

Postby alpinebonsart » Tue Jun 23, 2009 10:17 am

100_3397.jpg
TREE ELEVATED 60-70 DEGREES
100_3399.jpg
SKETCH OF IDEA FOR TRAINER
alpinebonsart
Curator

Postby taffyman » Thu Jul 02, 2009 10:18 pm

I've got a couple of ideas for this one Alpine.

The first needs the removal of a lot of material and tilting the main branch down instead of up. Have a look at this 'doctored' photo - it effectively turns it into a Literati style but also gives the impression of a tree that's had a very hard life hanging on the side of a cliff. The jinn at the bottom would suggest the original main branch had died off and a secondary one growing upwards has taken over. You could also possibly jinn some of the smaller branches on the trunk that's growing vertically.

Trees of this 'style' don't have a lot of foliage on them - virtually only on the last few inches of a single branch or two. Those thin branches would have to be wired into place and treated like a normal triangular branch pattern of three radial branches with a very small apex on the top.

Those long straight bare primary branches and the angular nature of the secondary and tertiary ones is a bit of a problem and more in line with very early Chinese Penjing styles of trees. These styles were very angular - trunks with long zig-zags and branches coming away at 90 degrees to the angles with 'puff balls' of foliage on the ends.I'm not keen on that way of styling a tree. To me it's totally unnatural. I prefer a tree to be more 'flowing' and graceful. I'm not saying I'm right and anyone else is wrong, the final choice of shaping should always be up to the individual.

So, my other suggestion is to use those thin whippy branches and approach graft them onto the bare sections of the two main branches. When they've fused, the branches can be cut back and the tree could then be shaped in any way you wanted. to do it.
Taffy
Have fun, life is way too short for anything else
taffyman
Garden Wizard

Postby alpinebonsart » Fri Jul 03, 2009 5:26 pm

[quote="taffyman"]I've got a couple of ideas for this one Alpine.

Hi taffyman , nice work if i had one of those programs my computer would be sliding down the driveway .I have enough problems loading replies , this is my 5th attempt ,cyber space is full of my attempts.
With 50% of the foliage removed in the bush prior to digging any further reduction at this time on a Mugo may be detrimental to the tree .I need the foliage to improve the root system.The Hammerhead or lollypop trunk is the result of a whorl of branches in its earlier life , would need major jin work to produce a good taper which in itself would look rather tricky to say the least . The main branch exits around 30mm from the top of the apex of the trunk refer pics
100_3442.jpg
Back view of trunk
100_3441.jpg
Side view of trunk
The main trunk has had a whorl at every major bend this is where a primary branch has become a leader and the next whorl on the new leader has had the same effect . This has produced a enlargment at the elbow hence it would require jin and shari work to reduce the unsightly swelling that is 2 fold over the diameter of the trunk .

The last 2-3 branchlets at the tip are probably the wosrt on the tree so to build a canopy out of those i would have to ,as you suggested graft {sound like hard work} ;ie side ,veneer or bud graft to improve the canopy or wait to see if back budding will fill the voids . I will draw your idea on paper and take a pic of the tree at the angle or as close as possible to your idea concealing the unwanted foliage and see how it looks .
100_3439.jpg
Taffyman's idea of a design for the big mother Mugo
I know it wont be a sure thing as the training box and the position of the trunk in the box doesn't allow for good exposure and i dont really want to repot or disturb the poor rootball , but i may have to to aid in the final design .Cheers Alpine
alpinebonsart
Curator

Return to Bonsai