Urban Yamadori Maple

A forum dedicated to bonsai, the art of growing dwarfed, ornamentally shaped trees or shrubs in small shallow containers.

Moderators: Forum_mod, Pam, taffyman, DrDuncs

Urban Yamadori Maple

Postby alpinebonsart » Sun Aug 09, 2009 11:03 am

This is the latest venture in collecting trees .I purchased this on Ebay for $15.95 for my brother then he changed his mind .Blessed the day i had to dig the tree an excavator was on site so i decided to remove the tree intact .Easiest dig that i have performed as the root-mass was only 900mm round and 350mm thick so 90%of the roots are intact .The owner assisted with the dig and he offered the excavator to lift and load the tree .This exercise took about 1 hour and the tree was heading homeward bound .The roots were wrapped in linen and packed with spagnum moss, and the canopy was covered with large plastic bags and wrapped in shade-cloth .
100_3557.jpg
100_3564.jpg
100_3574.jpg
alpinebonsart
Curator

Re: Urban Yamadori Maple

Postby alpinebonsart » Sun Aug 09, 2009 11:22 am

Arriving home the first job was to make a training box for the tree .I knocked up a box 750 X 750 x 300mm pine box with drain holes and wheels attached to the back for ease of moving .Then with the help of a couple of friends we slipped in down a plank and into the box , potting up as per normal bonsai .
100_3579.jpg
100_3608.jpg
100_3600.jpg
The tree is 2800mm high , 2100mm wide ,the trunk is 165mm thick and 230mm at the base .This will be used as a stock tree for layering the tops off for dozens of well developed trainers
alpinebonsart
Curator

Postby alpinebonsart » Sun Aug 09, 2009 11:37 am

This is a close up of some of the very impressive tops that will be layered off over the next few years
100_3596.jpg
100_3594.jpg
100_3589.jpg
With all tha trees on hand this is by far the best i have collected for the purpose of layering .It has 12 terminal branches that will be layered if and when the time is right .Cheers Alpine
alpinebonsart
Curator

Postby taffyman » Sun Aug 09, 2009 8:42 pm

Wow - $15.95? What a bargain. An Air-layer from one of the skinniest branches would be worth more than that! That's an excellent piece of material. How lucky are you to find an excavator on site as well (Y) Love to see that base in a couple of years time after you've done all your air-layering and worked on the remaining trunk for a while :-?
Taffy
Have fun, life is way too short for anything else
taffyman
Garden Wizard

Postby alpinebonsart » Mon Aug 10, 2009 8:14 am

taffyman wrote:Wow - $15.95? What a bargain. An Air-layer from one of the skinniest branches would be worth more than that! That's an excellent piece of material. How lucky are you to find an excavator on site as well (Y) Love to see that base in a couple of years time after you've done all your air-layering and worked on the remaining trunk for a while :-?

Hi Taffyman , yes another Ebay special ,it is something i have looked for for quite a while .I have waited over 11 months to see a surgeon so i went all out on this one .My time is almost up so it will sit and develop while i recover.I set up a scaffold yesterday and spent 3 hours trimming the terminals into various shapes windswept , slanting ,twin trunks and even managed to trim a couple of small rafts from side branches.These will need wiring so i think i will use the simple hook and hold and do a very basic shaping . All up 16 trainers were trimmed into good starters ready to be layered off next season .The excavator was a bonus otherwise i would have had to chop the top off and bring the stump home .Cheers
alpinebonsart
Curator

Postby alpinebonsart » Mon Sep 21, 2009 5:30 am

These are the latest pics of the maple with clothes on .I think i will take the opportunity to set some air layers as the tree is powering full steam ahead .Plus i don't like the idea of leaf trimming off a step ladder . Currently it has set up to 6 sets of leaves on the branches i miss during the first and second trim.It desperately needs wiring so that in itself will be a 2 day task even using hook and hold as i will need to set a simple scaffold around to anchor the wires or lines too .
100_3860.jpg
100_3863.jpg
Cheers Alpine
alpinebonsart
Curator

Postby abby » Mon Sep 21, 2009 8:29 am

:-? Just what are you planning to accomplish :?:
I always thought air layering was used to make new plants :?:
Image Abby
abby
Curator

Postby alpinebonsart » Tue Sep 22, 2009 8:10 pm

abby wrote::-? Just what are you planning to accomplish :?:
I always thought air layering was used to make new plants :?:

Hi Abby yes an air layer is to produce new plants ,that is the idea behind the exercise .I will shape various Bonsai styles eg Twin trunks ,slanting , informal uprights etc and once styled ,very soon they will be layered off to become instant well advanced Bonsai starters with 30-40-50 and 60mm trunks .

There is a possibility to take as many as 16 layers in one hit , however i already have 12 set from last year so i may only do 6 or 8 this year and next year take another 8 -10 and the year layer the last lot off and the carve the mighty trunk . All up this tree can produce 3-4 dozen air layers up to 90mm trunks .Yes its a long term producer but i will have some of the most impressive trunks to play with .Cheers Alpine
alpinebonsart
Curator

Postby abby » Tue Sep 22, 2009 10:57 pm

How very interesting :)
As you may have guessed I know nothing about Bonsai.
Image Abby
abby
Curator

Postby alpinebonsart » Thu Dec 24, 2009 6:24 am

Here is a couple of pics of the air layers set over 2 months ago on my $16 special .I used 1.5 litre soft drink bottles cut down for the sleeves as plastic sheeting was all but to hard .Simply remove the top ,slit the side and cut a circle in the bottom and slide it around the trunk/branch. Then wrap a freezer bag or clear plastic around the cylinder and tape up with duct tape .Water with a syringe saves opening the dressing
100_4221.jpg
100_4222.jpg
.All up there is 11 layers from 30mm to 65mm and numerous styles , Broom , twin trunk , informal and formal upright , slanting , 2 tree and possibly a raft or 2 .The most difficult issue is trying to semi style the canopies from underneath . The shoots were all trimmed back to 1-2 leaf nodes after the first initial growth and a rough hook and hold wiring method applied to some of the trainers . Cheers Alpine
alpinebonsart
Curator

Postby alpinebonsart » Tue Mar 02, 2010 6:24 am

With i touch of bad luck due to the weather i have had to remove the layers form the tree .2of them have roots the others have calloused up and are very close to roots.The fungus has set in around the sun-burnt side of the trunks so i removed all the layers cleaned and potted them up as cuttings .The test now is to stimulate the calloused area's while there is enough foliage on the cuttings to give them the best survival chance .
100_4608.jpg
100_4610.jpg
alpinebonsart
Curator

Postby alpinebonsart » Tue Mar 02, 2010 6:39 am

Some serious trimming took place cutting back to the first set of leaves /buds on every branch , removing unwanted stubs and damaged material for some nice pre bonsai trainers .Although these are now basically cuttings owing to the fact that the majority of them don't have roots i will stand them in Willow Water for several hours then re-dose in a fortnight to give them the best possible chance of survival .

At a $1.40 per trunk it doesn't really matter if they fail , the lessons learned will be worth far more in experience in the
100_4616.jpg
100_4613.jpg
propagation of Japanese Maples
Cheers Alpinebonart
alpinebonsart
Curator

Postby The Estate » Tue Mar 02, 2010 7:33 am

:shock: I am very impressed (Y)
The Estate
Garden Wizard

Postby taffyman » Tue Mar 02, 2010 8:50 am

I hope they all survive Alpine, you've got some good material there (Y)
Taffy
Have fun, life is way too short for anything else
taffyman
Garden Wizard

Postby alpinebonsart » Tue Mar 02, 2010 11:23 am

Hi Fella's , i hope they survive as well as the Crab apples and Chinese elms i put through the same process last season . With 95 % of last years trials a success i am rather confident it will work , if not i know not to air-layer trunks with sun-burnt bark as it decays/composts inside the layer .A lesson learned is a good one .Cheers Alpine
alpinebonsart
Curator

Return to Bonsai