Prunus Versus Stihl 2

A forum dedicated to bonsai, the art of growing dwarfed, ornamentally shaped trees or shrubs in small shallow containers.

Moderators: Forum_mod, Pam, taffyman, DrDuncs

Prunus Versus Stihl 2

Postby alpinebonsart » Tue Sep 08, 2009 12:40 pm

Hi all this is the completed work after a total of 4hours on the saw and 2 on the Dremel this will be a fantastic 2 man tree .
100_3826.jpg
New Front
100_3830.jpg
Rear
100_3822.jpg
Left Side
.Cheers and Happy Bonsai .Alpinebonsart
alpinebonsart
Curator

Re: Prunus Versus Stihl 2

Postby alpinebonsart » Tue Sep 08, 2009 12:55 pm

100_3827.jpg
Right Side
100_3833.jpg
100_3835.jpg
All that is required now is a sand and sealer to complete the carving process .Cheers
alpinebonsart
Curator

Postby taffyman » Tue Sep 08, 2009 10:36 pm

Some nice artistic carving there Alpine. I hope it sends out shoots where you need them. If it does, it's going to be an awesome tree (Y)
Taffy
Have fun, life is way too short for anything else
taffyman
Garden Wizard

Postby alpinebonsart » Wed Sep 09, 2009 5:08 am

Hi Taffyman i will set some shoot grafts while the sap is flowing .It Has 2 shoots that were on the tree , with plenty of trees in the street i will collect some tips and set them tomorrow .If i set 3-4 on each trunk side then hopefully 1-2 will take .Cheers
alpinebonsart
Curator

Postby dolicus » Thu Sep 10, 2009 5:12 pm

I am very impressed with your work.
I am interested in how you do a shoot graft?
Is it similar to doing T budding as in citrus?
dolicus
Curator

Postby alpinebonsart » Fri Sep 11, 2009 4:24 pm

dolicus wrote:I am very impressed with your work.
I am interested in how you do a shoot graft?
Is it similar to doing T budding as in citrus?

Hi Dolicus , the similar method as side grafting on fruit trees or deciduous . With thick bark 10mm on this trunk i will simply drive a CUSTOM MADE CHISEL through the bark down to the cambium layer and continue for about 20-25mm . Remove the chisel and insert a pre trimmed shoot as per side graft approx' 75mm long around the same diameter as the tool and down to align the layers as best as i can . Yes flying blind however they do work well .

With the shoot positioned it will be sealed with compound ,careful not to allow any to weep into the cut . I believe plasticene is as good as any sealer for this method . It may be late to set a graft however with so much sap flowing i'm rather optomistic . Taping the graft is not necessary due to the fact that a small hole the same size as the graft is being used . Cheers
alpinebonsart
Curator

Postby dolicus » Fri Sep 11, 2009 8:21 pm

sorry to ask so many questions but do you slice the end of the new shoot in a wedge shape?
And what sort of wood is the new shoot as in how old and green?
thanks
dolicus
Curator

Postby alpinebonsart » Sat Sep 12, 2009 8:34 am

dolicus wrote:sorry to ask so many questions but do you slice the end of the new shoot in a wedge shape?
And what sort of wood is the new shoot as in how old and green?
thanks

Hi Dolicus , yes you prepare the shoot as per side grafting wedge shaped longer on the side against the hardwood to allow a better alignment of the cambium. I use a shoot from the previous year usually this is done before bud burst however i never had the tree until a few weeks ago .Remove all the foliage if any leaving only 1 shoot/bud ,the stock is the same as the original Prunus Nigra . This tree was a grafted specimen as the base of some of the landscape trees have white flowers . Hope this helps .Cheers
alpinebonsart
Curator

Return to Bonsai