Collected Hawthorn

A forum dedicated to bonsai, the art of growing dwarfed, ornamentally shaped trees or shrubs in small shallow containers.

Moderators: Forum_mod, Pam, taffyman, DrDuncs

Collected Hawthorn

Postby alpinebonsart » Thu Sep 17, 2009 2:33 pm

This will be a real challenge, i retrieved this from the edge of a swamp growing on a steep bank .It was originally a single tree that obviously died and the lower shoots/branches grew to transform it into a twin trunk . The secondary root grew down over the bank about 600mm and sprouted a nice little trunk so i will incorporate that into a triple tree with the lower tree growing below the main root ball . I don't believe there is a name for this style but i will freestyle it all the same just to be different .
100_3841.jpg
Proposed Front
100_3839.jpg
Rear
100_3840.jpg
Close up of the mighty trunk 120mm wide
Cheers
alpinebonsart
Curator

Re: Collected Hawthorn

Postby karyn » Thu Dec 17, 2009 6:39 pm

Have you done any more to this? It'd be interesting to see how it's going!
karyn
Gardening Sage

Postby alpinebonsart » Tue Dec 22, 2009 2:34 pm

karyn wrote:Have you done any more to this? It'd be interesting to see how it's going!

Hi karyn , i have let it shoot and trimmed as required ,progress has been slow due to lack of enthusiasm on my behalf . I did lose 1 main trunk but it will be part of the dead wood later down the track .Will get some pics up soon .Cheers Alpine
alpinebonsart
Curator

Postby alpinebonsart » Tue Dec 22, 2009 6:33 pm

100_4177.jpg
100_4178.jpg

With 1 of the main trunks suffering die back it has lost its appeal and has been neglected , bit like myself . I have managed to start to train a new leader to replace the dead one and i am pleased to see the lower trunk {below ground level} has survived and is growing well .A slight redesign of my original idea which will take a year or 2 at the rate i,m functioning .
100_4184.jpg
I have around 2 dozen Hawthornes and most are at various stages of design, this triple trunk raft was collected at the same time as the one above however i have only concentrated on this particular specimen .Cheers Alpine
alpinebonsart
Curator

Postby taffyman » Wed Dec 23, 2009 4:31 pm

I can see a really rugged tree coming out of the first one Alpine - one that looks as if it's had a real hard life. What do you intend doing to the second one. At the moment it looks like three trees growing on the side of a steep hill. Are you going to part bury the trunk, or do you have some other idea for it? Either way, they both have interesting potential (Y)

Love to see some more of your Hawthorns.
Taffy
Have fun, life is way too short for anything else
taffyman
Garden Wizard

Postby alpinebonsart » Wed Dec 23, 2009 8:01 pm

Hi Taffyman i hope to establish a strong root mass in its present trainer box then decide whether or not to carve it or raft it .The base which is buried has a large flair , which in itself would be a strong feature . The Hawthorn can survive with almost no roots so to establish a good healthy root-ball will be the priority .
100_4210.jpg
The left hand trunk was collected 4 years ago and remained dormant until this season ,i submerged it completely for 7 days and it began to sprout within a week or 2 after i removed it . Still has all but no roots attached hoping the growth will spur a new rootmass .
100_4207.jpg
This was collected 2 winters ago , wiring has only been placed on 1 branch
100_4219.jpg
This shows a natural shari which will clean up well after some serious new growth has been established and some roots to work with .Cheers
alpinebonsart
Curator

Return to Bonsai