Don't know if I'm game

A forum dedicated to bonsai, the art of growing dwarfed, ornamentally shaped trees or shrubs in small shallow containers.

Moderators: Forum_mod, Pam, taffyman, DrDuncs

Postby Pam » Fri Apr 20, 2007 7:28 pm

So it's looking a bit battle-scarred! :lol: It's a star jasmine - it will take off in no time (once I let it).

I guess it is looking a bit different! You couldn't even see the pot to begin with.
Pam
Garden Wizard

Postby The Estate » Fri Apr 20, 2007 7:35 pm

Gees, bet the secs would have needed a good sharpening after that lot :roll: will wait with baited breath 8)
The Estate
Garden Wizard

Postby taffyman » Fri Apr 20, 2007 7:47 pm

That's not looking too good at the moment Pam - does it have new shoots on it? It looks like it from the photo. I'd be leaving it to do its own thing for a while and let it get some more leaves on it - a lot more :shock: No more pruning for a while. Is it in the full sun? A bit of dappled shade might help it if it is - at least for a couple of weeks. One of the things that can happen when you prune a shrub back hard is that the leaves that were shaded by the foliage above them are too tender for the full sun - same as taking a plant out of a shadehouse and bunging it in the middle of the garden in full sun - the leaves get sunburnt. How is the mix in the pot - is it allowing the water to penetrate?
Taffy
Have fun, life is way too short for anything else
taffyman
Garden Wizard

Postby Pam » Fri Apr 20, 2007 8:04 pm

The leaves aren't burning, Taffy. On that account they're fine.

It has LOTS of new shoots on it ........ but should I not have been pinching them back straight away? I thought it had been working very well to induce new shoots down lower! :lol: I sort of wanted to reduce the length of that long woody side branch a bit, thinking that it is maybe a touch too long?!

How is the mix in the pot - is it allowing the water to penetrate?

Absolutely shocking, and no! I poked around int the pot the other day to remove some of the native fern that was growing in it, and it's totally packed solid with fibrous roots, so I do need to do something with that. Could I hack away that fibrous stuff and replace it with new potting mix do you think?

:oops: :lol: :lol: Okay, so less pinching-back, more shade, more water, and continue removing caterpillar eggs?! Yes boss! I did tell you it wasn't looking so hot. :lol:

And yes, okay Luzy, maybe you're right, and I have been just a little impatient! :lol:
Pam
Garden Wizard

Postby taffyman » Fri Apr 20, 2007 9:46 pm

Pam wrote:The leaves aren't burning, Taffy. On that account they're fine.
It has LOTS of new shoots on it ........ but should I not have been pinching them back straight away? I thought it had been working very well to induce new shoots down lower! :lol: I sort of wanted to reduce the length of that long woody side branch a bit, thinking that it is maybe a touch too long?!
How is the mix in the pot - is it allowing the water to penetrate?

Absolutely shocking, and no! I poked around int the pot the other day to remove some of the native fern that was growing in it, and it's totally packed solid with fibrous roots, so I do need to do something with that. Could I hack away that fibrous stuff and replace it with new potting mix do you think?
:oops: :lol: :lol: Okay, so less pinching-back, more shade, more water, and continue removing caterpillar eggs?! Yes boss! I did tell you it wasn't looking so hot. :lol:
And yes, okay Luzy, maybe you're right, and I have been just a little impatient! :lol:

Ok, that's good Pam. On the photo the leaves looked a bit sick but if it has shoots all over it then keep doing whatever you're doing. Yes, that lower branch does need cutting back so if there are shoots on it cut it back to them. Same with all the other branches up at the top, and the one sticking out on the left about half way up. Try and end up with a triangular shape to the foliage. The lines I've drawn on your photo is roughly what I mean. Don't try and make it exactly like that triangle - it isn't a christmas tree or topiary. Branches just inside and just outside the triangle give it more character. As it develops it will most likely end up with a lower apex and wider across the bottom - with a nice and DENSE canopy :lol: With the shoots, wait till they set a new pair of leaves then pinch out the tip (hope I'm not preaching to the 'converted' with that bit).
With regards to the roots, if that fibrous stuff is from the fern or it is dead roots or something else, yes take as much of it out as you can and put some potting mix in its place. That'll give it a decent drink when you water it. Just cut a bit off first and see if it is live root or not. If it is then put some potting mix over it and work it in between the roots with a chop-stick. Phew! You had me worried there, I thought it was suffering real bad
but if it has shoots all over it then that's great.
Taffy
Have fun, life is way too short for anything else
taffyman
Garden Wizard

Postby Pam » Sat Apr 21, 2007 6:23 am

It's not suffering at all, Taffy, in fact it seems quite happy. Just to clarify, the branches that I think are too long, as a new shoot develops further down, I have been cutting it back to that shoot, and then as that shoot develops, letting it grow a set of proper leaves and then pinching out the growing tips thereafter. Is that okay, or should I be leaving more on them for a bit?
Pam
Garden Wizard

Postby Luzy » Sat Apr 21, 2007 6:02 pm

Pam wrote:And yes, okay Luzy, maybe you're right, and I have been just a little impatient! :lol:

But I like that bit, Pam - it's The Real World! :lol:

This is just so fascinating - Taffy, you're a legend. Between Pam's project (nice trunk, by the way) and Guzzigirl's that you're doing by remote I'm almost brave enough to... Nah, maybe not!!! :oops:
Luzy
Garden Wizard

Postby Pam » Sat Apr 21, 2007 6:04 pm

I dare you!! :twisted:
Pam
Garden Wizard

Postby Luzy » Sat Apr 21, 2007 6:19 pm

Well, I was going to say get some pic of the tea tree starter plant up as it's probably due for a trim... Not quite the same thing???? :lol:
Luzy
Garden Wizard

Postby Pam » Sat Apr 21, 2007 6:23 pm

Not really the same, but if you wanted to play, you could always duck down to the nursery tomorrow and pick up something a little more advanced, that is ready to start shaping?!

I'd let you play with mine if you were closer - if I can't kill it on my own, I doubt that your input could make things any worse. :lol: For what it's worth, that really was a bad pic I took last night - it's much happier than it pic made it seem.
Pam
Garden Wizard

Postby Pam » Sat Apr 21, 2007 6:26 pm

And NO, I"m not going out in the dark to get another one!
Pam
Garden Wizard

Postby Luzy » Sat Apr 21, 2007 6:37 pm

Pam, I actually really love the photo that you took - not because it makes it look like not much (is that better than death warmed up? :-? ) but because it makes it look like you've really done something to it and it's still alive and getting ready for more stuff to be done. Besides, imagine the contrast with a pic from a month or two down the line...
Luzy
Garden Wizard

Postby Pam » Sat Apr 21, 2007 7:04 pm

:-? A bit like going on one of those weight loss shows, you mean, and drinking lots of water to make next weeks weight-loss look more impressive?! :lol:

Actually, Luzy, look at it this - way my picture looks so bad that if you do decide to have a go, your progress pics HAVE to look better than mine! :D
Pam
Garden Wizard

Postby Luzy » Sat Apr 21, 2007 7:20 pm

Oh, gee Pam... thanks for your support. :lol: :lol:

Okay, so it's about time that I got over my not-really-bonsai-but-playing-around-with-baby-plants stage? :o Oh, and *gulp* admitting it??????
Luzy
Garden Wizard

Postby Pam » Sat Apr 21, 2007 7:26 pm

Well you might as well get over it and have a go, Luzy. As long as you don't use a plant you're emotionally attached to, you really have very little to lose by getting started on something, anything, to get your confidence up.

Do you have a library nearby? You might get some books there that will give you good basic instructions - much faster than waiting for someone who has promised to send some books, but hasn't. :roll: :oops:

And as you have seen, Taffy is a great support.
Pam
Garden Wizard

Postby Luzy » Sat Apr 21, 2007 7:33 pm

Oh, okay - photos tomorrow, but I think it's going to rain... :lol:
Luzy
Garden Wizard

Postby Pam » Sat Apr 21, 2007 7:35 pm

wear a raincoat! Or there's always the laundry, or the garage, or ......
Pam
Garden Wizard

Postby Luzy » Sat Apr 21, 2007 7:40 pm

And it is okay to laugh - I always do when I look at... what I'll show you! :lol: (remember what I said about one being a bit close to the wall...)
Luzy
Garden Wizard

Postby Pam » Sat Apr 28, 2007 9:06 am

No pictures yet, Luzy?!
Pam
Garden Wizard

Postby Luzy » Sun Apr 29, 2007 3:17 pm

Oh!

Excuse, excuse, excuse, excuse. That was a lot quicker than explaining what happened... :oops:

I have taken the pics - just have to cull through them and put them up. Ummm, do you think it's absolutley neccessary to be able to see the baby tree through all the foliage??? :roll:
Luzy
Garden Wizard

PreviousNext

Return to Bonsai