Maryborough Flower Show - Bonsai.

A forum dedicated to bonsai, the art of growing dwarfed, ornamentally shaped trees or shrubs in small shallow containers.

Moderators: Forum_mod, Pam, taffyman, DrDuncs

Maryborough Flower Show - Bonsai.

Postby taffyman » Sat Sep 15, 2007 9:08 pm

These are the Bonsai photos from our annual flower show held 13th/14th September.

ImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage

1. Looking along the bench
2. Top row left is mine - Green Island Fig (Root over Rock) 1st place. Top row centre is mine - Hills Fig (Leaning/Slanting) 1st place. Bottom row - purple pot is mine - Green Island Fig (up to 150mm) 2nd place. The one to the left of the 164 block won first place - Ficus Benjanmina.
3. Top row left is mine - Natal Fig (Twin Trunk) 2nd place. Top row 2nd left is mine - Ficus Benjamina (Twin Trunk) 1st place and Champion Bonsai. Bottom row, first five on the left Juniors (Up to 14 years, Any style). The one with red statue - Ficus Benjamina 1st place, in front and to the left - Small leaf Privet 2nd place. Bottom row 2nd from right is mine - Port Jackson Fig (Root over Rock) 2nd place. The Chinese Elm bottom row right is one I did as a demonstration for the Bromeliad Society Hervey Bay last October.
4. Top row Blue pot is mine - Green Island Fig (Informal Upright) 2nd place. Top row next to blue pot on stand is mine - Green Island Fig (Cascade) 2nd place. Next one on stand Juniper (Cascade) 1st place and Reserve Champion. Remember in a previous post I said that we had a very talented lady in our group and before long she would take either Champion or Reserve Champion from me? Well, she did with this Juniper. She has done an incredible job on it. When she first started coming to our meetings myself and another member worked on this one for her as at that stage she had absolutely no idea what to do with it. We started the cascade off for her and she took it from there. This is the result - an excellent job and I was certainly happy to move aside for her - she deserved her win. The large Clump setting is also mine.
5. This one is a bit blurred but there are better photos of them individually.
6. Another view of the Port Jackson Fig - Root over Rock.
7. View looking along the bench.
8. This one is mine - Ficus Pumila (Informal Upright). When I've posted all these photos I'll post an earlier photo of this one to show the development in the last four months.
9. This one is mine - Trident Maple (Informal Upright) 1st place. I wouldn't normally enter a tree with such a small amount of foliage on it but it is a good time to see the branch structure before the foliage hides it all.
10. This one is mine - Syzygium Australe or Lilli Pilli (Informal Upright). I'll also post an earlier photo of this one to show the development as well.
11. Another view of the Green Island Fig.
12. Another view of that very nice Juniper Cascade.
I'll put the rest of them in the next post.
Taffy
Have fun, life is way too short for anything else
taffyman
Garden Wizard

Postby taffyman » Sat Sep 15, 2007 9:50 pm

Here are the rest of the photos from the show.

Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image

1. Another view of my Green Island Fig (Cascade)
2. Another view of my Clump Style Ficus Benjamina.
3. This one is mine - Queensland Small Leaf Fig (Formal Upright) 2nd place.
4. This one is mine - Trident Maple (Formal Upright) 1st place.
5. Another view of the Natal Fig (Twin Trunk).
6. Another view showing all the Junior Bonsai.
7. Another view of my Twin Trunk Ficus Benjamina.
8. Another view of my Green Island Fig (Root over Rock). This one is just recovering from the attack by curl grubs. It won Champion Bonsai at the Fraser Coast Show in May but with the near total destruction of the root system by the curl grubs it is slow to recover - but it'll get there, it is now putting out new growth so that's a good sign it is recovering well. It still managed to gain 1st place this time around.
9. Another view of my Hill's Fig (Leaning/Slanting).
10. This Juniper belongs to a new member to our group. At the moment he knows very little about Bonsai. He was very fortunate when he bought his present house in Hervey Bay that the lady they bought it from was doing Bonsai and the whole lot came with the house - she gave them all to him and his wife. Some of the trees need a lot of work but this one needs very little to make it in to a really good tree. At the moment it is in a shallow round pot with isn't the best for a Semi Cascade - it doesn't show it off to its best advantage. We've advised him to get either a proper square or octagonal Semi Cascade pot which is deeper, and raise it up in the soil to better show off the trunk and the top parts of the roots. It will give it height and 'majesty'. It also needs some tip pruning over the next year or so. There is also a thin branch that is alongside the main cascading branch on the left. This needs to be removed so there is only one primary cascading branch - it will look a lot better. The rest of the branch placement is very good with all the major branches angling down giving the impression of a very old tree in miniature - and that is what we all try to aim for!
Well, there you go guys - our Bonsai display for the Maryborough Horticulture Society Flower Show 2007.
Taffy
taffyman
Garden Wizard

Postby guzzigirl » Sun Sep 16, 2007 9:25 am

thanks for that Taffyman :)

some very nice trees there. and aren't you a clever fellow with so many placements :D
“Although you’ll find our house a mess, come in, sit down, converse…
It doesn’t always look like this! Sometimes it’s even worse!”
guzzigirl
Garden Wizard

Postby Luzy » Sun Sep 16, 2007 2:40 pm

What a magnificent collection of trees, taffy. There are certainly some talented people up your way.

I'm fascinated with all the figs, particularly those with the buttresss roots (if that's what they're called). Is that from many years' growth? And you must be proud (again) of the juniors!

A few weeks back I went to a bonsai show put on by the bonsai group from our local garden club. Rather than a contest, they put on an exhibition that showcased a huge range of trees and plants that can become bonsai. That was fascinating, too. (I even found a few members who were nice and chatty!) The centrepiece they had was a eucalypt about a metre high. Gosh, there are some clever people around.

Thanks for showing us the Maryborough Show, too, Taffy! :D
Luzy
Garden Wizard

Postby taffyman » Sun Sep 16, 2007 3:26 pm

Thanks GG, Luzy. I was lucky enough to gain 5 x 1st places, 6 x 2nd places and Champion Bonsai. Really though I don't put my trees on show to win anything. I just enjoy displaying them. I entered 15 trees and a few were only put in to make a better display. The big Clump Fig is a good example, it's one that doesn't have a class for entry so it couldn't be judged against any others. The two Trident Maples I put in were only there to 'make up numbers' and show the structure of the trees. I never expected anything from them but they both won 1st place in their respective classes. I would be quite happy if there was no competition at all, just a big display to show others what we are doing. Yes I am very proud of the juniors, they religiously bring their trees to our meetings every month to see what needs to be done to them, and considering the trees they had in last years show, they have gone ahead in leaps and bounds. I sincerely hope they continue with their hobby but of course, with teenage years coming up they may have 'other interests'. There again, at least they can carry the knowledge they've gained into their later years and might feel inclined sometime to take it up again.
The roots coming down from the figs are called Aerial Roots. It's a natural occurance in the more tropical climates. They don't usually happen in areas like Melbourne or even Sydney. Even if they do send out the odd one or two, the sub zero temps usually kills them off. Not all figs produce aerial roots but most do. True Buttress roots are like you see on the beautiful Moreton Bay figs in botanical gardens. They buttress out from the base of the trunk. They seldom occur in Bonsai because they form when the tree spreads its huge roots out sideways for great distances from the trunk. The tree forms the buttresses to support its gigantic bulk and to stop the roots snapping off in strong winds.
Hey Luzy, you didn't take any photos of the exhibition you went to by any chance? I'd love to see the Eucalypt. Bonsai enthusiasts can be strange people at times. Some are 'very chatty' and love to talk about their trees and how they achieve different things, while others seem to look down on others and won't divulge anything - as if they see themselves as the 'elite' (which I personally think is stupid).
Taffy
taffyman
Garden Wizard

Postby Luzy » Sun Sep 16, 2007 3:54 pm

I'm kicking myself for not taking any photos, Taffy. But not so long ago enrico and i went to the camellia show and the eucalypt was on display again - I'm pretty sure enrico took a photo or two of it.

And you're certainly right about some of the bonsai folk not wanting to chat - but that's okay. It was nice that others did.
Luzy
Garden Wizard

Postby midgin » Sun Sep 16, 2007 3:58 pm

Congratulations, Taffy.... sounds like you cleaned them out... very well done. You should be proud.
Don't be afraid to colour outside the lines.
midgin
Garden Wizard

Postby Luzy » Wed Oct 03, 2007 4:34 pm

Enrico has sent me a pic of that eucalypt taffy - and if you want it bigger she has a bigger pic.

The tree was set up on a stage behind a display of camellia flowers so was fairly high and back from us.

Luzy
Garden Wizard

Postby taffyman » Wed Oct 03, 2007 7:10 pm

That's excellent - thanks Luzy, thanks Enrico. You don't very often see Eucalypts as Bonsai. Whoever created this one has done a great job. Most Eucalypts won't lend themselves to Bonsia because they are very touchy about their roots but obviously the owner of this one has found the right type. It really does look good.
Taffy
taffyman
Garden Wizard

Postby DuffGardens » Tue Oct 09, 2007 2:54 pm

Wow, great collection taffyman. You sure seem to know your stuff. I'm just getting into Bonsai so expect a lot of newbie questions from me in the near future! :wink:
DuffGardens
Pruner

Postby taffyman » Tue Oct 09, 2007 7:01 pm

Thanks DG Welcome to the forum - and welcome to the great field of Bonsai. As I've said before - ask away. If I can answer your questions I'm very happy to do so, and if I can't then I'll sure find out where you can get the answer from.
What Suburb do you live in DG? There are some excellent clubs and Bonsai nurseries in Sydney - I moved up here to Qld four years ago from Sydney, so I know a few of the guys down that way, and the good nurseries - especially for pots and tools etc.
Taffy
taffyman
Garden Wizard

Postby DuffGardens » Wed Oct 10, 2007 9:26 am

That's for the welcome taffy. :) this forum is one of the friendliest I have seen.

I live in Leichhardt. There is a Bonsai nursery in Balmain I am going to check out on Saturday (I was thinking of maybe doing one of their workshops) but if you have any suggestions I'd love to here them!
DuffGardens
Pruner

Postby taffyman » Sat Oct 13, 2007 8:45 pm

DG, is that nursery in Balmain called 'Bonsai and Beyond'? A good club fairly close to you is:
http://www.sydneycitybonsai.org.au/
and another one for good instructional stuff is: The School of Bonsai. They meet in Five Dock. If you follow this link and phone Ray Nesci on the number shown, he will be able to give you all the information on both suggestions:
http://www.raynescibonsai.com/
Nurseries:
There are four good bonsai nurseries that I know of in the Sydney area. First is the link above - Ray Nesci.
The next is Imperial Bonsai Nursery in Terrey Hills (Megumi and Brian Bennet):
http://www.megumibennettbonsai.com/
Third is:
Bonsai Environment (Kingston Wang):
http://bonsainet.com.au/nursery/nursery.htm
and the fourth is Lee Wilson at:
Forestway Garden Centre
Cnr Crozier & Forest Way
Belrose
02 9486 3244
Those are about the best four nurseries I know of in Sydney - and I haven't put them in any order of merit.
All those are recognised as Bonsai Experts in Australia and all have been doing Bonsai for many, many years.
Lee Wilson is the president of the Australian Association of Bonsai Clubs.
http://www.bonsainorthwest.com.au/archive/2004photos/October2004LeeDemo/october2004.htm
http://www.bonsainorthwest.com.au/archive/2001photos/LeeWilsonjuly2001/leedemonstration.htm

DG, workshops are a great way to learn about bonsai - and the more the better!
Taffy
taffyman
Garden Wizard

Postby lmrk » Sun Oct 14, 2007 9:54 am

Taffy, just looking through the photo's from the Bonsai Northwest link you posted, and found a picture of my mate Man! 1st on the left!

Does a watched bonsai ever grow?
lmrk
Curator

Postby DuffGardens » Tue Oct 16, 2007 3:21 pm

taffyman wrote:DG, is that nursery in Balmain called 'Bonsai and Beyond'? A good club fairly close to you is:
DG, workshops are a great way to learn about bonsai - and the more the better!

Thanks for all the info. Very helpful. You are right about the nursery in Balmain, I had a quick poke around it on the weekend.
DuffGardens
Pruner

Return to Bonsai