Maple development

A forum dedicated to bonsai, the art of growing dwarfed, ornamentally shaped trees or shrubs in small shallow containers.

Moderators: Forum_mod, Pam, taffyman, DrDuncs

Maple development

Postby taffyman » Mon Oct 22, 2007 10:48 pm

I said in another post that if I could find it, I'd post a photo of one of my maples that I got while in Darwin in 1990, and what it looks like now.
The first photo was from about six months after I got the rooted cutting - it had grown considerably from when I got it. Originally, it was just a little 'twig' with two leaves about where the lower leaves are on the right branch and two leaves about where the lowest ones are on the left. The photo isn't very clear, it was taken on a compact film camera and I've just scanned it.
The second is the same tree from about 18 months ago.
The third is from our Maryborough flower show in Sept 07 and the last is how it looks today.
It still has a way to go. The first branch up on the left needs to be longer and thicker or removed altogether. The second branch up on the left needs cutting back a bit and thinning out, the second branch up on the right needs to be longer with more foliage and in general it needs a lot more leaves to be able to produce nice compact foliage pads on all the branches.
So, there you go - this one is now 17 years old.

Image Image Image Image
Taffy
Have fun, life is way too short for anything else
taffyman
Garden Wizard

Postby guzzigirl » Tue Oct 23, 2007 9:09 am

I am amazed how a leggy twig can be transformed into such a lovely little tree :D

Taffy, I have aquired some brand new maple seedlings (as in germinated this year) which I have put in individual tubes. I know it it will be a long time before I can do any shaping with them, but is it OK for me to just pot them up into pots when they outgrow their tubes? or should I be thinking more strategically already? I'm hoping that one day (year?) I will be able to create a nice group planting with them.
“Although you’ll find our house a mess, come in, sit down, converse…
It doesn’t always look like this! Sometimes it’s even worse!”
guzzigirl
Garden Wizard

Postby lmrk » Tue Oct 23, 2007 1:49 pm

That is AWESOME Taffy!!!!! You don't have a green thumb - you have green hands, arms and head!!!!! :D :D

Gives me hope for some of my little twigs!
Does a watched bonsai ever grow?
lmrk
Curator

Postby taffyman » Tue Oct 23, 2007 2:37 pm

guzzigirl wrote:I am amazed how a leggy twig can be transformed into such a lovely little tree :D
Taffy, I have aquired some brand new maple seedlings (as in germinated this year) which I have put in individual tubes. I know it it will be a long time before I can do any shaping with them, but is it OK for me to just pot them up into pots when they outgrow their tubes? or should I be thinking more strategically already? I'm hoping that one day (year?) I will be able to create a nice group planting with them.

It sure is GG - the bigger the pot the quicker your seedlings will grow. As they grow in larger pots you can start to form the structures of your future trees. Small pots restrict the spread of roots and therefore to a certain degree restrict the spread of branches and foliage cover. The branches on trees in the ground usually grow out in relation to the roots creating the 'drip line'. The roots directly under that drip line are where a lot of the feeder roots are. That's in general, in fertile moist soil - I'm not referring to native trees that may be a skinny as a rake with roots going out 20 metres or more in search of moisture. So, the further the roots grow outwards, the further the branches will spread and because of them thickening, they will ultimately cause the trunk to thicken below them. The fastest growth for thickness of trunk and branch length is in your garden. A lot of people grow their trees in the ground for a year or more to increase the trunk thickness. They also start to train the branches while they are still in the ground. By making the lower branches grow as horizontal as possible - and letting them grow 'wild' (not cutting them back), the roots will grow out further as well - and the more horizontal the roots, the better the base of the trunk will become. It has to thicken so that it can support the heavy branches.
If you are planning a group setting with narrower trunks than what I'm suggesting above, then larger plastic pots are ideal. When they send out side shoots, you can decide which ones you want to keep and remove the others as you build the structure your trees.
Do you know what type of Maples they are GG?
Taffy
taffyman
Garden Wizard

Postby guzzigirl » Tue Oct 23, 2007 2:47 pm

taffyman wrote:Do you know what type of Maples they are GG?

no I don't, I suspect some weedy variety as this person has them popping up in her garden every year.
guzzigirl
Garden Wizard

Postby guzzigirl » Tue Oct 23, 2007 2:48 pm

taffyman wrote:When you have a bit of time GG, could you take a pic of a leaf close up if possible? Hopefully, we'll be able to identify it.

no worries :D
guzzigirl
Garden Wizard

Postby taffyman » Tue Oct 23, 2007 2:50 pm

When you have a bit of time GG, could you take a pic of a leaf close up if possible? Hopefully, we'll be able to identify it.
Taffy
taffyman
Garden Wizard

Postby Pam » Tue Oct 23, 2007 5:44 pm

lmrk wrote: You don't have a green thumb - you have green hands, arms and head!!!!! :D :D

I have a good antifungal spray you can use for that Taffy! :lol:
Pam
Garden Wizard

Postby guzzigirl » Tue Oct 23, 2007 7:38 pm

taffyman wrote:When you have a bit of time GG, could you take a pic of a leaf close up if possible? Hopefully, we'll be able to identify it.

here they are (it occurred to me they could be liquid amber...)

guzzigirl
Garden Wizard

Postby Pam » Tue Oct 23, 2007 7:41 pm

Never having seen liquidamber seedlings, are the leaves of yours perhaps a little narrower, GG?
Pam
Garden Wizard

Postby guzzigirl » Tue Oct 23, 2007 7:43 pm

I don't know Pam, I tried looking up both maple and liquid amber leaf pictures on google and couldn't find any that matched. I wonder if the juvenile leaves look different?
guzzigirl
Garden Wizard

Postby taffyman » Wed Oct 24, 2007 12:18 am

Thanks for the pic GG. I'm pretty sure it's one of the Japanese Maples - Acer Palmatum, or a variation of it. Check out this link for a photo of the leaves:

http://www.jvh-nurseries.com/language/multilingual/plants/list/list.htm
Taffy
taffyman
Garden Wizard

Postby guzzigirl » Wed Oct 24, 2007 11:13 am

taffyman wrote:Thanks for the pic GG. I'm pretty sure it's one of the Japanese Maples - Acer Palmatum, or a variation of it. Check out this link for a photo of the leaves:

cool - so they will be good to bonsai?
guzzigirl
Garden Wizard

Postby The Estate » Wed Oct 24, 2007 11:23 am

guzzigirl wrote:
taffyman wrote:Thanks for the pic GG. I'm pretty sure it's one of the Japanese Maples - Acer Palmatum, or a variation of it. Check out this link for a photo of the leaves:

cool - so they will be good to bonsai?

Very Good, got a spare one :roll: :roll: :roll:
The Estate
Garden Wizard

Postby guzzigirl » Wed Oct 24, 2007 11:26 am

The Estate wrote:
guzzigirl wrote:cool - so they will be good to bonsai?

maybe :D :lol:
guzzigirl
Garden Wizard

Postby The Estate » Wed Oct 24, 2007 11:31 am

guzzigirl wrote:
The Estate wrote:
guzzigirl wrote:cool - so they will be good to bonsai?

maybe :D :lol:

maybe I might have a few spare bonsai pots :-P :-P :-P :lol: :lol:
The Estate
Garden Wizard

Postby taffyman » Wed Oct 24, 2007 7:47 pm

Sure will GG - as are most of the Maple (Acer) family. There's another one very similar to yours with the same amount of lobes on the leaves but narrower and the centre one longer called Acer Palmatum Disectum or Cut Leaf Maple. Gives really brilliant Autumn colours.
Taffy
taffyman
Garden Wizard

Return to Bonsai