Bonsai problem

A forum dedicated to bonsai, the art of growing dwarfed, ornamentally shaped trees or shrubs in small shallow containers.

Moderators: Forum_mod, Pam, taffyman, DrDuncs

Bonsai problem

Postby Zamamee17 » Thu Nov 01, 2007 6:37 pm

some time last year or the year before i attended a beginners bonsai course and i got to bring home the bonsai that i started but i forgot to water it a few times and this is what happened:

:(

is there any way of reviving it?
B-)
Zamamee17
Pruner

Postby DamienO'Connor » Thu Nov 01, 2007 7:35 pm

Doesn't sound promising. :(
DamienO'Connor
Cultivator

Postby taffyman » Thu Nov 01, 2007 7:41 pm

Um, do you think it might be trying to tell you something :wink: Hey, we all get 'failures' at times. Just put it down to experience and try again.
Zam, bit of advice with your photos if you don't mind - that size photo is virtually impossible for anyone on dial-up to download. Have a go at reducing the size of your photos and then using something like photobucket to give you a 'clickable thumbnail'. When I got to the bottom right of your photo I didn't realize that there was a reply posted below it by Damien.
Taffy
Have fun, life is way too short for anything else
taffyman
Garden Wizard

Postby lmrk » Fri Nov 02, 2007 8:43 am

Do you know what type of tree it is? (was).
Does a watched bonsai ever grow?
lmrk
Curator

Postby guzzigirl » Fri Nov 02, 2007 2:24 pm

looks dead to me :cry:
“Although you’ll find our house a mess, come in, sit down, converse…
It doesn’t always look like this! Sometimes it’s even worse!”
guzzigirl
Garden Wizard

Postby Zamamee17 » Tue Nov 06, 2007 9:45 am

i am not sure what the name of the plant was, it's been a while since i created it

i was starting to think it was dead especially since a couple of spidys (spiders) made it their home

i am incredibly sorry about the size of the photo, i have never posted a photo on a forum before and i now know what to do so i shall fix this problem in future postings :oops:
B-)
Zamamee17
Pruner

Postby lmrk » Tue Nov 06, 2007 10:35 am

Zama, I've heard (but not sure if it's true), that if you scratch some bark away from the trunk, and it's green undeneath, then it may still be alive and it may come back. I know that spider predation can kill some plants / trees so better shoo those pidey's away :D . Keep watering it and you just never know!!! :D :wink:
Does a watched bonsai ever grow?
lmrk
Curator

Postby Zamamee17 » Tue Nov 06, 2007 1:29 pm

would that apply to roots as well because the bark was peeling away from one of the roots and it looked very much dead
B-)
Zamamee17
Pruner

Postby taffyman » Tue Nov 06, 2007 4:44 pm

Zam, as Leah suggested, if you scrape a bit of bark from the trunk and it isn't green - and as you say, there is bark peeling off one of the roots then I'd suggest it's gone to the great compost heap in the sky. Looking at those roots in your photo; they are definitely dead, and the condition of the bark (some has already flaked off showing dead material) points to the same thing. No matter, find another tree and try again. We've all had failures, and it's from those failures that some experience is gained in the care of your trees. Don't lose heart because one tree hasn't survived. Learn from your experience and have another go.
Taffy
Have fun, life is way too short for anything else
taffyman
Garden Wizard

Postby Zamamee17 » Tue Nov 06, 2007 4:58 pm

ok then, i'm going to experiment using other plants
B-)
Zamamee17
Pruner

Return to Bonsai